Reviews for Ember
Zane Donovan chapter 1 . 1/22/2014
I must say one of my greatest complaints in regards to both fantasy and science fiction novels is that they are scarcely well written. Often relying far too heavily on that "Phoenix moment". By this I mean the moment when a hero is beaten down and has nothing left, but then due to some threat directed towards something they wish to protect, they are able to come back twice as strong as when they first began. It gives an element of predictability to a story as well as detracts from that sense of immediate danger, as well as mortality. It is often used in Manga and Anime's as well. However, if it is done right it becomes one of my most favorite moments in entertainment bar none. It takes a lot of skiil and finesse as a writer to convey both atmoshpere, characterization, and action into a scene without losing one or more elements in the shuffle. In this particular piece I think you conveyed it extremely well without making it the least bit improbable. It may not sound like much of a compliment but trust me it is, My favorite moments came when you crafted the suspense in the form of the Captain slowly walking towards your hero, (or was it heroine? Sabre can be a name for either gender, and Ember I'm guessing is a girl?). I look forward to reading more of your work. Keep writing. :)
TheKantebyGirl chapter 2 . 6/30/2013
i really like this story, keep it up!