Reviews for Wish
Sidekicks-anonymous chapter 1 . 3/1/2014
This is amazing. Clever plot, well-written, suspenseful with a touch of humor-everything I like in a story. :) Excellently done.
neuron chapter 1 . 9/16/2013
I enjoyed this. I thought you set up the story really well. The scenes of domesticity at the start were really quite endearing. I liked the happy picture you gave of the relationships within the family - especially little details like Macsen's new 'cool' way of speaking and the narrator's 'me time' watered with scotch. I laughed in places too - e.g. "When you have a cat, you just say 'oh, it's just the cat' when you hear noises in the night."

I have to admit there was nothing in the first half that gave me goosepumps, but I guess that was intentional. I took the scratching to just be a mouse. The appearance of the cat seemed more ironic than scary.

I thought the reveal that the girl was adopted was done very well, using a conversation about adopting the cat.

The story's turn for the scary later on was great. Especially because the possessing spirit thing turned up near her bedside in the form of the son.

But I liked that it got matter-of-fact later on, as they discussed details of their agreement. Rather than the spirit being a scary intruder, their words and behaviour seemed to fit into the feel of happy domesticity too. However, I did fear for the narrator when it almost seemed like her daughter might be taken away.

Overall, a good story. I can't really offer any criticisms that wouldn't change the kind of story you've written. Its a charming read as it is.
yoyomo chapter 1 . 9/9/2013
Love it. Write what you know, huh, Miss Liz? Just love it. I especially enjoyed the what?!-ness of Foster's reveal. Really, aren't all cats and mice preternatural?
Lolitroy chapter 1 . 9/8/2013
Here's you parfait, haha.

Whoa, awesome prose as always. This impressed me, to the point I got goosebumps. The whole atmosphere was heartwarming, and I really liked the kept the cat. Aww :D
augie.toaste chapter 1 . 9/7/2013
Very well written.

Just as I had pegged it for a bit of a slice of life piece, it took a sharp turn in the second half. Sounds like there is much more going on with this world off-camera.

The only thing I might pick on is that the second half seems to create more questions without answering any. To me, this feels unfinished - still open for things to happen. Not necessarily a bad thing. :)

Augie