Reviews for The Pledge
Bibleman chapter 1 . 11/30/2013
Amazing
KRM chapter 1 . 11/17/2013
Even as a non-American, this poem spoke to me about my own patriotism.
We ask so much of our soldiers and they ask for so little in return.
Also, patriots can be idealistic without being naive. Many people fought and died for my freedom. My freedom to vote, my freedom to speak my mind, my freedom to be educated and respected.

Your country was founded on those principles but citizens of my country have still managed to fight for those same principles both form within in rebellions and civil disobedience and as an armed forces against those who would have harmed this country and its citizens from without.

Your words remind be so much of all of us around the world who feel the need to acknowledge war memorials and the men and women they represent.
civbldnd chapter 1 . 11/11/2013
I really don't want to hurt your beliefs or feelings, but don't you think that this is a bit cynic considering the number of civilians who have died in US military campaigns, not even to mention drones etc.? Are any of the US military (let's call them) campaigns really about helping people staying or getting free? (are you referring to US citizens or people from the occupied countries?) If so in either case they have failded miserably, since US population is more surveilled (I call that unfree) than ever, and circumstances in the occupied countries are as unsafe (partly worse than under the regimes) as ever. I know this isn't the place to start a political debate about US interventions, but please, if you take a look at what (there is no other word but) crimes US military and intelligence services commited against the people of Chile (by supporting the overthrow of the Allende government in 1976 and supporing the following dictatorship of Pinochet), Guatemala (1954 Arbenz again democratically elected president ousted, in this time directly by US military), as in various Latin American countries. Not to mention the current situations in Afghanistan, Irak and in regards to drones Pakistan (though of course I won't pretend the regimes overthrown were in any way democratic).
However, believing we have solutions and recipies (even if these are recipies I personally like a lot as democracy, freeedom ...) and imposing these on other people does no good except causing loads of violence (if by direct military violence or indirect violence) and perhaps benefitting our global cooperations (oil, copper, bananas come to my mind first). This is a way of continued colonism (I know the US weren't directly involved in that, except of course the invasion of the Phillipines and by indirect colonism by economic means) and of establishing clear international hierachies.

Sorry about starting a sort of rant after all. Please don't get me wrong, I am a great admirerer of your works, original and fanfic, but this display of sympathy with military and nationalism has upset me a bit.