Reviews for A Servant's Tale or The Curious Courtship of Rom-Paul the Still-Skin
Un-Ended Tales chapter 3 . 9/6/2014
That was nothing less than beautiful and very much haunting. Your diction added to the gothic atmosphere. The way you wove the words together was simply mesmerizing. I would've loved to hear more about how that family died in the fire and what caused it, but perhaps it is the mystery that puts the cherry on top. When you revealed the twist to her tale, I held my breath. Wonderful work.
augie.toaste chapter 2 . 9/6/2014
This really fleshes out your story world, but I can't help but feel that it's a bit of a filler chapter. I suppose it would depend on how long you intend the story to be. The pace has slowed right down, which would suit a novel-length story.

Your descriptions of food make me hungry. :)

augie.toaste chapter 3 . 9/6/2014
Oooooh cold. From the first line, you've painted something mysterious and chilling. Disappearances in the countryside. Gypsies. Aloof barons. I would say that another gothic feature, that's not in the prompt but seems to be in quite a few of those gothic short stories you pointed to is someone retelling the story. :) You used that to nice effect.

Good stuff, Liz, and it's great how you weaved it into an existing story. Good to see you extending this story too. I read this chapter before Chapter 2, cause I wanted to see how it would stand alone - and it does very nicely. I shall go back to read the proceeding chapter.

I would like to see how/if this chapter ties into the story later.

WritersRule chapter 2 . 8/24/2014
Very, very nice attention to detail. I enjoy Sandro's simple yet elegant narration very much. I hope you will continue soon.
Un-Ended Tales chapter 1 . 12/23/2013
I love your retelling of this fairytale. Rumpelstiltskin was always one of my favorites and I've read a number of versions, but I like yours the best. The cleverness of the names really added to the story. Your diction is beautiful and makes it sound like it was written around the time the first version of Rumpelstiltskin must've been conceived. The twists were fantastic. Great job.
crywolf-girl23 chapter 1 . 12/23/2013
Having the protagonist not being the villain was an excelent choice, especially for the Victorian storytelling effect you wanted to achieve (which, I dare to say, was spot on). The characters are interesting, with ill Baron being really relatable and the narrator very enjoyable to hear (I just love his masked sarcasm).

Honestly I didn't figure out the play with names, until I read the other reviews (something about not being an native English speakers might have to do with it) :(

I'm curious what else there is of this story, you certanly caught my interest. Well done and good luck with the contest!
AlysonSerenaStone chapter 1 . 12/19/2013
Whenever I saw Rumplestiltskin in your summary, I just knew that I had to read this. He's one of my favourite fairy tale characters! The play on names is a very nice touch. I think it adds to the story and overall plot line. I didn't see any typos or grammar issues, so great job there.
augie.toaste chapter 1 . 12/17/2013
Very clever, Liz, very clever. Love the play on the names, and the effortless world building. If stories were babies, this story would be the result of a union from The Man in the Iron Mask and The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. It draws together the most interesting character and plot elements from both.

I am interested to see how this story progresses, though if it is to follow in the loose footsteps of the story you're basing it on, I'm surely in for a punch in the gut.