Reviews for Only Scratching the Surface of My Thinking
John-the-H-is-silent chapter 7 . 6/25/2014
Thank you so much for posting this! It's true, we hear it everyday but we hardly ever take real action. Thanks for the reminder. It hit me when i least expected and i needed that. There's a cute girl at the health foods store I've been wanting to hang out with and get to know better. I missed my chance the last time we talked. Next time i'm definitely going for it. :)
Rain's Fire chapter 4 . 4/25/2014
You are incredibly awesome! This is really helping me!
Ghanaperu chapter 4 . 3/19/2014
Cool - a new chapter. This really resonated with me, because I think I often come off as something different than who I really am. I'm not a very expressive person in general, and I'll have people telling me they thought I was mad or upset or bored when I really wasn't any of those things. I can be having a great time, and someone will ask me if there's someplace I'd rather be.

So giving the right impression is something I've been working on for a while - mainly, remembering to make my outward appearance reflect my inward emotions. Smile when I'm happy and such.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. :)
Ghanaperu chapter 3 . 1/3/2014
I actually just finished writing down my dream from last night! Really cool topic. :). My dreams are generally really weird, and they're usually me going on some sort of ridiculous adventure. Like once, I was trying to catch the spy in my family before she kidnapped us all. It turned out to be my mom. Another time, I was a world-famous skier who got pulled in by a famous actor to help him escape some guys with guns. That one really jumped around, in terms of setting. :)

And I always seem to think that my dreams would make really cool stories, but once I wake up and actually write them down - they're ridiculous and don't make nearly as much sense as I thought they would. So I can sympathize with you. :)

Great chapter, though. Thanks for sharing!
Ghanaperu chapter 2 . 12/25/2013
Anyone who isn't you might not be everyone - I'm seeing myself in a lot of this. :) Especially the TV part. I love what you said about it being a brain exercise, because I really feel like it stretches, if not my brain, at least my imagination. And I've had a good amount of people tell me I'm over analyzing things - but hey, at least my brain isn't rotting! :)

Thanks for sharing this.
Ghanaperu chapter 1 . 12/25/2013
Great advice!
R.D.Palmgren chapter 1 . 12/22/2013
First three sentence start with, “Maybe.” So… maybe knowing a person is the most amazing thing? Just start with “The most amazing thing to me is getting to know a person in a whole new level.”
Don’t tell us, but rather show us
Ex: “I don’t mean just knowing a person’s…” to “I believe knowing a person’s hobbies, talents, qualities, what they are thinking, or how they would respond to something doesn’t make the cut in knowing someone well.”
Are you unsure of yourself that you use the word, “Maybe?” Be confident in what you think and write. Ex: “Maybe this isn’t one of those things that just can’t be put into words… but I’ll try anyway.” to “I would like to share some ideas and person experience explaining how knowing a person is the most amazing experience I have ever experienced.”
You have three examples of things that can help you getting to know someone in a deeper sense but one thing you are lacking is a person experience/example that would support your idea.
Then at the end you go on saying, “But fair warning- once you rise above those limits… hurt you before you see it coming.” and “I’m not saying… risk…end” So in other words, you are telling us that once again, “Maybe getting to know someone is the most amazing thing ever.” If I were you, I would get rid of the negative ending out and end it on a more of a high note, positive message.

In the beginning you talk about knowing a person deeply…are you talking about in relationship or just as friends? Some places you talk as though talking about people other places you talk about soul mate. Make it clear to the readers.
Now you mention hobbies, talent, qualities, and thinking or how they would respond and that supporting and being honest is very important. I agree with you there. Then you go on giving three examples that are most important as you tell and explain, trust, common interest and appearance. Does that make sense that you would put appearance and common interest above the rest? I might not be reading it right as well but something to think about.
I don’t think this is bad, you just need to organize it a bit more with example from your personal life to add flavor.
I hope this has helped you in some way
-R.
JasmineRaven chapter 1 . 12/22/2013
Brilliantly thought out and well written! I really enjoyed the points you brought out in this essay. I particularly liked the part about appearances. I've always wondered how life would be for someone who was blind, how it would be to only "see" a person for their personality and not be blinded or biased by looks. Well done and keep up the great work! :D
John-the-H-is-silent chapter 1 . 12/21/2013
Wonderfully thought out and written. I couldn't agree more. It's amazing to think of all the friendships we may have missed out on for being so judgmental, and where those relationships may have lead us. In a world so populated, it's hard to understand why so many of us feel so alone. I'm glad you took the time to ponder and write this. :)