Reviews for Fades in the Summer
Justme chapter 1 . 4/14/2014
That was very emotional and hurt in all the right places. Worth publishing, if you ask me - it's way better than some published works out there. I liked the pacing, especially how they met after that gap, when they had some time to find themselves. Good story, probably more tears than my usual preference, but great writing anyway.
leavemeialone chapter 1 . 4/13/2014
I really didn't think this story would end the way it did. I am so glad it did! The reason I thought it wasn't going to attend like this was you tend to not end it in a happy ending kind of way. I love how they ended up with each other. I was worried that two together would be too damn painful for each other. They needed that time to heal. It sucks that the tragedy is was what brought the two together.
the unknown anon chapter 1 . 4/8/2014
Dam. This story is AMAZING! I have no words.
Klefbom chapter 1 . 4/6/2014
Wow this was amazing. The entire story had my emotions running rampant. You have an amazing ability to write and to have the readers really connect with the emotions of the characters. I love the fact that you made it realistic and not just a "happily ever after". You gave the readers hope at the end, but acknowledged that the conventional relationship doesn't exist and may never exist because of the reality of things that have happened to them both. It was just beautiful.

Now your wonderful writing aside, I must say that I absolutely cannot stand Dylan. He accuses Tara of many things including being selfish, yet I fail to see anyone else who was more selfish than himself. The things he said and did intentionally to hurt her when he KNEW how she felt about him? Disgusting. My heart ached for Tara the entire story. Tara was unselfish when she gave her sister the go ahead to be with Dylan, knowing that the couple would be happy with each other even if Tara herself would be hurting. Talia was unselfish when she broke it off with Dylan after hearing Tara's admission because she cared about her sister. When was Dylan ever unselfish? He wasn't. He kept thinking about himself. He kept going back to use Tara as a warm body. He only thought to ease his pain and ease his guilt and didn't take Tara's into account. Ugh he just really frustrated me in this story.

Regardless, it was such a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing this gem with us! I hope you never stop writing because you have such a talent and it should never go to waste!
hottie23 chapter 1 . 3/18/2014
I don't often leave reviews, but for this story I must make an exception.

This was a painfully long one-shot, but it was also painfully beautiful. Your writing is fantastic, the emotions so real, and the plot heartbreaking. Everything about this was so amazingly perfect and beautiful.
White and Blue chapter 1 . 3/9/2014
I haven't gone on FP for such a long time but I decided to revisit the site yesterday because I felt nostalgic and all. Not a lot of my favourite authors are here anymore but I say this update from you and I nearly hyperventilated.

The first story that I read was Blue Eyes, but this one here is easily my favourite work of yours! :D It's a really long story, and I love it because you took the time and effort to build up all these characters (especially Tara) and they have so much depth and I cried reading this at 4am in the morning like an idiot yesterday and I am still trying to process and reread the story just to try and get some new insights and I'm rambling again HAHA sorry. The Talia plot was really, REALLY good for me. You took the characters through such a raw and emotional mourning phase that left such a deep impression on me. :') I've always been a tad irritated by how some authors tend to dwell too little on all these significant life events and brush them off for the sake of advancing a story or a romance. BUT THIS. THIS WAS SO WELL WRITTEN. Talia's death held so much meaning that instead of it just becoming an excuse for the couples to get it on, it became the focus of the story as they struggled through the grief and guilt.

And I'm a romantic at heart too, so that ending satisfied the little girl in me hehe. You could have broken them up because they both didn't really seem ready for each other. But still, I cling on to that optimistic view that maybe they'll be able to work through their grief together. In a less destructive way this time. :)

Thank you so much for the story. Made my day!

On a totally unrelated note, are you studying in NUS too? Haha I got a little curious when I saw your twitter account - I'M NOT WEIRD I JUST COULDN'T HELP DOING A LITTLE STALKING - and you mentioned something about your 3DS game being held up or something because, well, Singapore... Sorry to hear about it by the way. Everything takes forever to get shipped over, games are always the last to be released here, and sometimes they aren't even available here (I'm still waiting for Kindle SG).
DramaticStarlet chapter 1 . 2/7/2014
This was absolutely beautifully written, brought me to tears. You captured the emotions and complexity of humanity so wonderfully in this.
nicole chapter 1 . 2/4/2014
I was rereading the ending and I was wondering if you'd consider making an alternate ending where they didn't get together and Tara moved on.. cause honestly if that was me I wouldn't be able to be with a guy who broke my heart.
nicolerosabel chapter 1 . 2/2/2014
This story was great but it made me cry. I agree with everything Palm-top-tiger wrote. I didn't really like Dylan either and the way he hurt Tara was heartbreaking. But it would be cool if you could make a sequel or an epilogue of them a few years later maybe. You don't have to though, it's already fine as it is.
Damned to heaven chapter 1 . 1/31/2014
That was beautiful.
lost keys chapter 1 . 1/18/2014
This was great, hands down. I always like really long one-shots.

This story was realistic and beautifully made. This was probably on e to the best one-shots I've ever read.
But I was also kinda upset.

I'll be honest...I don't really like Dylan. I just found him to be very messed up. Even when he knew Tara loved him he still messed with her. I kinda think Tara may be better off without him. They just keep on hurting each other and Tara's STILL hurting. She's been sad and angsty ever since Ta and Dylan got together I think she needs a break from him.

Honestly if I ever gone through something like that I would just leave. I don't think I could take something like that without freaking out. I would have been angry at him for disregarding my feelings when he actually knew all along that I loved him.

Well you probably hate my ranting and I'm sorry. This was great even though I thought the ending was sappy and junk its still awesome sauce! Probably because I'm a hopeless romantic.
frouwe chapter 1 . 1/15/2014
And I thought Facebook Official was a long one-shot. I'm pretty sure I've read multi-chapter stories shorter than this. It never got boring, though. Your writing seems really clear to me; there is an effortless flow from one sentence to the next so that it's not crazy heavy even though it is pretty emotionally draining (in a good way) and monstrously long.

Tara was a pretty great main character. She had a good handle on her angst - it was there, but it wasn't the only thing she had in her. I thought her really gritty considering her situation (which was fucked up to the umpteenth power, especially when the Absent Parent Syndrome comes into the picture). I'm more ambivalent about Dylan. I got why he was how he was, and I could sympathise with him; his motivations just weren't that clear. It might be because we're seeing him through Tara's eyes, and she doesn't seem to be sure about him, either, but it really wasn't until the very end that he started to redeem himself in my eyes, at least regarding Tara. I do think you should have left them broken up, though. It seemed kind of rushed when they finally got together. At least it was after the one year gap; they would have ruined each other if they've gotten together before.

I probably wasn't supposed to, but I really liked Tara's one-night stands for some reason. I thought that Aaron was going to play a bigger part in the story. It would have been great to see Tara get some non-fuck buddies and functional-ish relationships.
Lilly-Lis chapter 1 . 1/12/2014
This was very long, but it was so well-written that the length didn't matter. Tara and Dylan's relationship was very well done and I really loved the growth (and sometimes regression) of Tara's character development throughout this story. One of the things that made me most uncomfortable about the relationship between Tara and Dylan was Talia's ghost, which you dealt with beautifully. I'm not entirely sure I would have wanted them to end up together but, like you, I'm a romantic. I appreciate that you didn't give the characters a perfect fairy-tale ending, but a realistic one, with still some issues to work on but also a hopeful future.
malvika chapter 1 . 1/8/2014
this story is beautifully written. truly one of the best i've read. its heart-wrecking and beautiful and brilliant. you should be very proud of yourself
je ne veux pas travailler chapter 1 . 1/4/2014
I really enjoyed reading this. The length was not an issue because the story itself was so darn interesting. I love both Dylan and Tara; they are believable and flawed, which is something I really like. I also felt sad about Talia's death throughout the story-like I felt a distant, nagging sadness that I imagine what Tara/Dylan must be feeling. For me to feel that way I guess is a testament to how great your writing is.
71 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »