Reviews for Legion
Mislav chapter 1 . 7/27
Very interesting and intense story. Great work with the details. You painted quite a vivid picture. This felt like Lovecraft and Poe meet "The Thing", if that makes sense. When I read the part about at the beginning, about "the pale blue orb", I thought there would be some kind of twist ending where, in the end, it turns out that the characters are aliens that landed on planet Earth. I didn't expect Bishop to die, and I definitely didn't expect them all to jump into that crater at the end. I wonder what exactly attacked them near the crater, and what was that underground voice. Did they encounter some kind of alien parasite that affected their minds? Keep up the great work. I always have fun reading your stories.
Ventracere chapter 1 . 9/24/2015
I'm a big fan of your opening rhetoric. It reads a bit like a rhythm and sets a heavier mood for the rest of the piece. At the same time, it gives us a sense of union, with the way you repeat "we" and list out the things that they've accomplished all together. Together these men are one, they have their own identities, but at the same time, each one of them are the same. I like that you draw how tightly knit these men are with dialogue mixed in with the narrative of who they are, constant reminders that they are one team. You have the underlying message that if one dies, they all die. One doesn't survive without the other. I also liked the way you ended the piece, by saying that they are home. Even though they fell into the crater, they still survive because they're a team? I have the feeling that I'm reading this completely wrong, and if I am, I'm sorry. The imagery is also incredible in the end as well, because "we live like flames amidst the raging fires" was fantastically evocative and stuck in my mind well.
Thanks for the read!
Cheddar-Graham chapter 1 . 1/25/2015
For the RG EF

I like sci-fi in general and this story is very sci-fi - it reminds me of every alien movie out there from Prometheus to Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I think you do a good job balancing the unsaid with the details so there is a palpable sense of dread created. I also like that you take the aliens' point of view rather than the human's. It's cool that the aliens are 'human' too in their desire to be 'home' - too bad somebody had to die for that to happen.
lookingwest chapter 1 . 1/9/2014
This has all the creepiness of a good X-Files episode. I liked the way that the collective narrative voice is "we" because it had me thinking that it was referring to an entire research team or something, but then when it gets specific "we are Robert" things got all the more creepy, and that was a super unique switch I've never seen done before, which I another reason why I liked it. I thought the opening with a detailed description that then breaks up into smaller more terse paragraph sentences was a good stylistic switch for focusing the reader, and I liked that too for that reason - some poetic imagery here, as usual.