Reviews for Gleanings
augie.toaste chapter 15 . 1/11
I like the gradual way that Caly is pulling it together. At times she flits between being quite childish, and then cynical/adult like. Your teacher characters are the most consistent but your kiddy ones wobble a bit. Dominica seems to be the most consistent character so far. As always, world building and concepts are exceptional.
augie.toaste chapter 13 . 1/11
Dominica is a little shit.
augie.toaste chapter 9 . 1/11
Powerful chapter, this one. It's interesting to see Caly become more invested in her story. :)
Un-Ended Tales chapter 1 . 6/24/2014
This is an interesting concept. I'm curious to see what exactly serving humanity entails and what testing positive has to do with it. It'll be interesting to see how the scanning goes. I did prefer the alternate version of this chapter. I found myself confused in the first version, mostly due to being introduced to so many characters at once. It was difficult to keep them all straight in my mind. The alternate chapter explained things a little more clearly and I got a good sense for the characters. I loved your description of Sol and Adina. I could visualize them quite clearly. I like Calypso already. I look forward to seeing where you take this. I can't say much more about the storyline thus far but it sounds intriguing.
augie.toaste chapter 6 . 5/7/2014
A short chapter, but very readable. This felt a lot neater than the other chapters (in the other ones, there's always a billion things going on). Again, and as usual, great characters, and incredible world building. I'm wondering how each chapter contributes to the arch of the story. Are the different perspectives all relevant to the central plot? Or are you just experimenting? Either is fine, I'm just curious.

augie.toaste chapter 5 . 5/7/2014
In a few lines, Bevan has managed to become my favourite character. And I've always despised maths teachers. I hope he's not just a throwaway character.

Caly is still as bratty as ever. I can't wait for her to settle into the routine of things.

My simple mind is having a bit of difficulty keeping up with the cast. :)

CelticX chapter 8 . 5/2/2014
I'm really beginning to like Caly...but don't ask me about Dominica ;-p

Next chappy please.
augie.toaste chapter 4 . 5/1/2014
Can I please have a data pad that's always guides me towards food? There are a lot of likable ideas here. The technology being one, and the assignments being another. I can't help but think of sci-fi harry potter. If you're reading this as a one-off, with no knowledge of the world, this chapter consolidates things nicely.

Foxitail chapter 7 . 4/30/2014
I would just like to say that I am following quite a few stories and it isn't very often I review on one unless I believe it to be worth my time. I absolutely love this story though and believe the plot & character development have the possibility to really grow. I like that this story doesn't seem like the many I have read before and I will be waiting for the next chapter. I almost wish it was already a completed book I could just sit down and read patience lacks. Anyway keep it up, good work!. :)
augie.toaste chapter 3 . 4/26/2014
Interesting piece about marriages and society in here. I think this was the chapter where we first get to meet the main character. Bingley is a good voice to add, seeing as he is somewhat in between that of adults and children, and allows Caly to show a not-so-bratty side to herself.

heh. Cat -pee. I can see her parents didn't road test her name. (where you think of the most immature thing that the child could be called - anything that rhymes with their name or a shortened version of their name. I'm surprised anyone still called their offspring Richard).

:) Augs
augie.toaste chapter 2 . 4/22/2014
The mind-dialogue adds a lot of humour to the piece - I approve wholeheartedly! For a YA, interactions are incredibly subtle, the scene is busy busy busy, and we haven't met Caly officially yet... I hate to say that you're overestimating the intelligence and attention span of a large bulk of young readers (I winced as I typed that because I don't want to come across as cruel to young people... apologies to young people across the world) but maybe this is a bit much to digest? Again, good form, mastery of the English language, and great characters.

augie.toaste chapter 1 . 4/21/2014
Woo! Random checking behaviours have paid off. I have to say, I was most curious about this story.

Great into. Characters with dry humour seem to be your specialty. Premise is interesting - there's so many directions could go yet. But I'm not seeing YAness to this chapter at all. I suppose the risk of opening on a bunch of adult in a meeting is you're going to lose your YA audience. Perhaps consider exploring the world from a students' perspective? Skimming ahead, I can see that you could kick the story off at Chapter 3. The level of your audience here (i.e. 16 - 25 yro) is probably not so sophisticated. They don't need to know the intricate workings of the school system, they want to know what happens to Caly and how she is going to deal with the situation she's been put in.

:) Augs