Reviews for The Roadside Crosses
Atarah Derek chapter 4 . 7/30/2014
You know, they say that we are our own worst critic, and for a lot of us, it's true. For you it's certainly true. This story, albeit brief, was nonetheless quite touching and very realistic to what happened on the Oregon Trail. We may joke about dysentery and shooting everything that moves in that classic computer game that we all grew up with, but to the people who lived it, it was hardly a laughing matter. You've done very well to capture that here. Yet despite the overall sad tone of the story, there are notes of hope; particularly the hope of reunion. We all hope to feel peace when our last moments are before us, and for some of us, death is nothing to fear, but rather something to look forward to, in one way or another. Especially if so many of our closest loved ones have already gone on before us.

All in all, I thought your story was a very good one. I loved the approach you took, and the setting was perfect. First person perspective is often difficult to write, and a journal is a favorite means of answering that challenge; it's a personal look at a situation (be it hypothetical or historical), and it has a natural feel to it. I think we can thank Anne Frank for that. Your short story felt a bit like Anne Frank, even with the contrasts of being closed in vs. being shut out.
inkfngrz chapter 4 . 5/19/2014
This is awesome. Seriously, you need to post more work like this! :) I like this a ton! Do you have any more like this?
(Honestly, there's some part of me that enjoys someone else's pain. Maybe it's the knowledge that others have it worse. Probably why I love the Hunger Games.)
Anyways, random comment aside, this is great work! :) Let me know if you plan to write something like this, I enjoy a good melancholy tale!
echogirlcapri chapter 4 . 5/18/2014
Awww, she did die! Or close enough!
I feel like crying too. Aaand you should really stop saying that you're a bad writer. It makes people like me feel underprivileged ;D

Love ya,
Cap
echogirlcapri chapter 3 . 5/18/2014
Thank goodness :) And here I was afraid that she was going to die! Is this a true story?
Sorry. I'm ignorant.
echogirlcapri chapter 2 . 5/18/2014
Oh gosh. You do know how to write a thrilling tale.
I can't believe there only 4 of these .. makes me think she's gonna die ...
echogirlcapri chapter 1 . 5/18/2014
Awww, this is so sad! It reminds me of a Native American story I once read about a flu epidemic ...
You get to do fun assignments in school though. We should switch. Then you can write my four-page Great Gatsby paper.

Cheers,
Capri
The Beautiful Filth chapter 4 . 5/18/2014
Hey there Sky... I'm glad your sister made you post it - I never studied this part of history, but this story did make my eyes water. The little girl (didn't quit catch her name) was so innocent, yet she was dying; the fact that we saw everything through her eyes didn't help much either. It's sad to see a life drift and fade away like that.

-Christie
daughter of Athena and Apollo chapter 4 . 5/17/2014
I wish all history was taught through stuff like this. It would make it easier for me to remember. I liked it, even though I normally don't like stories set in the 1700s/1800s.