Reviews for The Exception
Lady80 chapter 1 . 11/12/2016
Hi.
This has been my favorite story in Fictionpress for years. Since ever, actually. Since I decided to finish my degree, since I left that city I grew up in, since I realized writing didn't come as easy as it used to be because it turns out life isn't as easy to put into words when you're still living it.

If you check the reviews, you know how I felt about White Lines. But this story, which has been a bookmark through three of my phones, two of my laptops, and an intermittent late night companion for so many sleepless nights, has come to mean so much more to me than pretty words and my now favorite Shakespearean quotes when I couldn't choose before.

I'm living it. A little. And every time I wonder if I'm projecting it, if I'm romanticizing it, but I keep coming back to it because your words keep looking more and more real. I can't even sit down to binge write how I feel -maybe because I haven't written anything worth shit in years, maybe because I wouldn't even know where to start -
even if I were to leave it as anonymous words on a site he doesn't even know about on an account as terminal as this, or even if I were to get the guts and wake him up right now to tell him how I feel because I just did what Lilia first said she wouldn't do.

I gave him a drawer.

I know this is just a story. I just wanted you to know how much it meant to me.
chatterpeach chapter 1 . 7/16/2015
What a beautiful story, so well written. I love how you develop the feeling by going between past and present scene. It's not only funny and witty but also bittersweet. You deserve more review.
psycho angel chapter 1 . 11/8/2014
This story was absolutely beautiful. I fell in love with your writing and your characters had so much depth in them. It's amazing what you could pull off in 5000 words.
I especially loved the transition between the past and the present.
Loved the tragedy. A true tear-jerker.
AlysonSerenaStone chapter 1 . 6/24/2014
I loved this! I loved all the quotes and how well you worked them into this. I loved how smoothly this was written, your characters, you dialogue...pretty much everything about this! I did hate the ending though, but we all can't have happy endings, now can we? Great Star Crossed entry!
Julietish chapter 1 . 6/23/2014
Hello, it’s Juliet from ADoR! Thanks for participating in Star-Cross’d this round. The Shakespeare references were great, although I think adding in the appropriate quotation marks is necessary. I’m a huge fan of the best friend cliché. Their friendship and chemistry was portrayed wonderfully. I sincerely believed they were going to end up together. Although he could have maintained his child and have married his best friend, I understand the context of your one-shot. I hope you find future rounds of SC inspiring!
leavemeialone chapter 1 . 6/8/2014
I knew that there were not going to get together, but I had some lingering hope. I should have known with all these Shakespeare that this would end get being tragic. I wish for more. I wish it didn't have to end like this, but I guess we all don't get our happy endings. But it sucks, they both love each other. LOVE. It is also unfair to his wife. I think even if she is pregnant, they don't have to be together. This is the 21st century, meaning people can have families that are not nuclear families. This story . . . just pulled me in . . . crushed my heart.
Veronica Fay chapter 1 . 6/5/2014
This is great and made me smile throughout...at least until the end. I think he could have been with her and still been responsible for his child but I still enjoyed your writing!
Solipsist chapter 1 . 6/5/2014
This story is so beautifully and eloquently written; poignant and funny at the same time. Props to you for being able to pull this off. I was spellbound from beginning to end.
Anon chapter 1 . 6/5/2014
First of all, I loved it. It was brilliant. I don't know how many times I've read and reread it but it was simply brilliant.

The poetry, the Shakespearean quotes, the dialogue, all of them came together in an epic one-shot that is truly deserving of praise. I have not read Shakespeare in months though I can quote you almost the whole of Act 2 of Romeo and Juliet, yet I find myself googling the quotes you've included in your piece. I lost my fondness for Shakespeare because of our English Professor (he took ALL of my creativity and basically buried it beside Squidward's dreams and hopes) but because of this, I've regained that fondness, basically searching all the sonnets I've loved long ago and rereading them.

Props to you and the lyrical prose you have there. I'd personally love to see a sequel or a spin-off, anything just to so that I may see and have hope that she'll find her own Romeo who'll spout poetry for her like Orlando and bring gifts to her like Orsino. But then again, it IS meant to be a stand-alone, so I won't bug you about it.

I hope to read more of your work. It's truly an inspiring piece. Through you, my mistress, my Muse, has returned.
Tham chapter 1 . 6/5/2014
Oh my God. That was beautiful . Really. So well written, you are à gênions ! The characters are deeply through y, they are real. I do ont write mot of reviews but I had to with your story. Thank you for that fiftyfifty and I wish you the best !