Reviews for American Now Departed: Fight for the One You Love
Kahoruko711 chapter 22 . 8/19
I really like how this chapter turned out.
Very good drama and angst throughout.
My favorite part has to be Tanya talking some sense into Peter.
He needed it the most.
Also like the way Sakura and Norbert's convo flowed, too.
I have to admit, that ending had me a little emotional in a good way.

Great job with this!
Kahoruko711 chapter 21 . 7/23
Wow, this was quite a chapter to read. Everything is just at a downfall here. People are reaching their breaking points and it really shows. I felt sad for Kat breaking it off with Vasili the most, considering the fact that she gave her body and soul to him practically. I liked that scene with Tanya confronting Peter about his decision, she's really starting to break out of her meek and reserved personality and I like it.

Goodness gracious, so much death from both sides. I'm going to miss Ray and Charles. :(
Peter's reason to fight has been lost to him. And at the end, the poor soul just wants to go back to Mill Valley, wanting to forget this ever happened. I really feel sorry for this kid.

You've done a fine job here! And I'm sure that's the last long chapter you'll ever write again, lol.
10/10! I can't wait to work on the next update with you.
Kahoruko711 chapter 20 . 7/5
Oh, my god. That cliffhanger...
This was a really good chapter. Everything was well-written, to Sakura confiding in Norbert to Peter's last moment with Jacques. I still can't believe it happened so fast.
Poor Peter...:(

Now, I'm really afraid of what's to come in the next update.
Regardless, great job!
Kahoruko711 chapter 19 . 6/16
What a nice breather chapter. It's good to see everyone relax after what they've went through.
I liked Walt and Peg's scene very much. Peggy is regaining her strength, which is good to see. I also thought Tanya and Peggy reconcile was heartwarming as well, since both parties admit their faults. Glad to see them in better moods than before. You've managed to foreshadow a lot of things too, which will make chapter 20 all the more exciting and perilous.

Everything was fine overall. Never stop improving. Thank you for mentioning me, by the way. I truly appreciate it.
Kahoruko711 chapter 18 . 6/6
Wow, I really liked this chapter. It pretty much had everything here. I spotted a few missing words but nothing too serious. I was able to read it through.
From humor, and action, to drama and angst. I was very impressed with both Peter and Tanya chewing out Peggy for her for her selfishness. Tanya was more intense than Peter, I think.
Who would've thought our meek and humble Tanyusha can be so ferocious? That was literally my favorite scene. That and Vasili finding out Peter's secret plans.

Also, I'm glad to see Peggy's development in this chapter. You're right, medics have it much worse than the soldiers on the battlefront. I hope Peggy recovers from her BSOD. She's starting to grow on me bit to bit. You've improved more and more in each new chapter. That's my opinion anyway. Great chapter, 10/10!
Luckynumber28 chapter 17 . 5/29
I love your depictions of battle and resistance fighting, I was completely sucked into those scenes! And Peter is so well developed. My only critical comments concern the young women and their outfits during combat scenes. Their choices of high heels and white dresses seem a bit unrealistic. However, your knowledge of weaponry and battle tactics of the time is completely enthralling.
Kahoruko711 chapter 17 . 5/19
This was a good chapter. You really know how to set the tension and peril.
Everything was well-written and detailed, as usual.
I'm glad to see that everyone made it out with skins intact. Talk about a scary situation. I really like Tanya and Ray working together to take down that sniper.

Looking forward to see another update in the future!
As always, good job.
Kahoruko711 chapter 16 . 5/15
Alright, I liked this chapter quite a bit. It showed us what Petya and Chertov's groups are up to.
I really liked the second part better because of Jane and Will. They were able to understand their shortcomings and resolve to be better people than before. Maybe now, Jane will finally get over Peter and move on with her own life to the fullest. A good breather chapter I will re-read until the next update.

It's good to have you back, Jordan.
Kahoruko711 chapter 15 . 9/20/2014
Well, that was close! Great job with this chapter! It really had me on edge. Once again, you've outdid yourself with the action scenes.

Vasili and Katarina's love scene was endearing. I'm hoping to learn more about Vasya's aloofness and why he has that survival of the fittest mindset as well.

This is quite a fitting way to end the first part of this war story. Congrats on that! You've come this far already!

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to seeing more updates from you in the future.
STARLIGHT2267 chapter 15 . 9/15/2014
I like it
Kahoruko711 chapter 14 . 9/8/2014
My favorite chapter so far! I found Delacroix to be quite entertaining regardless of her rich brat attitude.
Kat and Vasya giving Tanya some advice was a touching sight. Hopefully this will help her grow stronger and more aggressive in the next battle to come. She will have more resolve. I'd like to see that in the next chapter. I get the feeling that Tanya will be quite the capable combat medic for sure.

I'm quite pleased with how this turned out from beginning to end. The dinner fight between Peggy and Angie was quite fun to watch, despite the fact that they were fighting over broccoli of all things. I can't help but side with Peggy on this one, Angie started it first. XD Then again, she didn't really help the situation by giving her more attention either.

I'm also glad with how the lover's tiff with Peggy and Walter turned out as well. Despite Peggy being his soul-mate, Walt wasn't afraid to talk some sense into her. I think this might be the first time I actually seen him be angry with her like this. It was a short scene but still a nice touch, nonetheless. I really like to see a little more of that with the two other couples as well.

Now, I've noticed that you tend to describe Walter only by his gunmetal grey eyes. A lot. Surely there must be something more besides that to identify him. I was sort of expecting Angie to be a little more discriminatory regarding men and soldiers for some reason. But, hey, she's a side character. Can't go too far with her anyway. That's all I can critique anyway.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this new chapter.
Really looking forward to the next update!
Kahoruko711 chapter 13 . 9/5/2014
Wow, I was quite saddened to see that poor soldier pass on like that, despite Peter and Tanya's best efforts to save him. In the end, it really didn't matter who was the enemy or who wasn't. Human beings are fighting in a war. Each of them had to fight for what they believed in and died in the process.
That scene really got to me. Very well done.

I'm glad that Peter and Tanya managed to reunite with their group.
The action was entertaining. Everything else looked fine in my opinion. Overall, it was a good chapter.

I can't wait to see the next chapter! Why? Because I'm the one who helped you with it! :)
Kahoruko711 chapter 12 . 8/25/2014
You did well with this chapter. I'm glad Pete and Tanya managed to survive such an unexpected attack. You were right, the good guys aren't having a good day.
The morale and confidence was gained and then lost after the surprise attack. You did a good job with that.
I felt bad for Tanya having to be forced to kill in order to survive. Will she throw a fit in any future chapters?
I think she will. The poor girl's been through so much. Anyway, Peter and Tanya make a good team when it comes to stealth missions.
The rest of the group seem so edgy and lost without Peter's guidance. It just proves how important he is to them all.

I noticed that you tend to use the word "gentle" in this chapter. Perhaps you should mix it up with a word that sounds similar to gentle.
Also, there's a lot of kissing in this chapter. Not that it's a bad thing, I just find it a bit repetitive and a bit much. Sometimes, passionate hand holding and held gazes can also be just as meaningful.
When Tanya climbed on Peter's body and said her last line, I was expecting for her to strip Peter of his coat and shirt.
Of course, they weren't going to cross that *line* yet, but that could have planted a hint that they done a little more than just kiss.

Overall, this chapter was a good read. Looking forward to see the next update!
Elizabeth Cooper chapter 11 . 8/20/2014
Sorry it took me so long to review chapters 10 and 11...so busy getting ready for school. Anyway, I finally managed to find some time. So, here are my thoughts.

Chapter 10: I agree with your statement in your introduction...it's nice to have a breather between action, as during action scenes characters are much more difficult to develop. The phrase "up to their eyeballs" (second paragraph) sounds bit modern. I'm not familiar myself with the origin of this phrase, but it sounds too modern to be used in the 1940s. I really liked how you included the translations at the end of the sentence (it's something that has been annoying me, as I always have to go to end of the chapter to find translations). You did really brilliantly in this chapter in transitioning Tanya to be a little more mature, especially when Vasili and Peter talked about Tanya's actions during the battle. One point...if Peggy really cared for Walter, I think she would be a bit more concerned about him after he was nearly killed in battle. Just a small point. Is it possible that Peter would be awarded a Purple Heart without being in the military? Did they ever do this in history? If so, it's fine...but if not, it seems a bit unbelievable to mention this. I know one of the soldiers gave it to him, but it seems a bit unethical.

Chapter 11: I have a feeling that, by joining Peter, Tanya may be putting him in more danger, as he will be more likely to do something rash to protect her than if she wasn't there. Cute scene with Tanya and Sakura in the beginning though. The scene with Katarina and Vasili and the kids were adorable. Come it think of it, you have yet to have a scene with young kids in it, and I felt like it endeared me to Katarina and Vasili...brilliant writing tactic. Perfect balance between cute and intense in this chapter. I have no complaints about this chapter.

Great two chapters! I look forward to reading next week's chapter and good luck with grad school.
Take care,
Elizabeth
Kahoruko711 chapter 11 . 8/18/2014
Good chapter so far. Although, one thing sort of bothered me. How come Vasili was so cynical around the two children? Did he have a bad experience with kids during his time back at the doomed Stalingrad? Perhaps he tried to help a child once and ended up putting his or hers life in danger, resulting in a horrific death. That would explain why Vasili would think children are just a liability, or a burden. Perhaps you should shed a little more light on that during a conversation between him and Katarina later on. Perhaps Katarina would imagine about having children and Vasili would say he wouldn't make the best example of a parent. All in all, this was a good read. Can't wait for the next chapter!
32 | Page 1 .. Last Next »