Reviews for Of This Much, I Am Certain
naomiwankenobi chapter 1 . 1/6
Wow! I've just read a few of your short pieces like this one, and I have to say that I've kind of fallen in love with your writing style. It's both wonderfully introspective and self-reflective (and also somehow brutally honest) and grounded in specific detail. It's very refreshing in this day of simple narration, which I must admit can be entertaining as well. For this story, I especially love the first two lines-the combination of detailing the scene as well as setting the story's theme really drew me in. You are also talented at choosing when to end a line; some of the short phrases I know are going to stick with me for a while. I only have a few critiques here. First, here and there I noticed small phrases that could be made more vivid with a word change. For example, in the third line, changing perhaps one of the two uses of the word black into something more tangible, say, ebony or obsidian could make it stick more. Also, the phrase "There's no other explanation for it, really", although nice, was not entirely necessary to the flow of the paragraph, which would be more powerful without it. I was so blown off my feet by the last two lines, however, that these small things don't even matter. They were so eerie and painfully honest that they gave me shivers down my spine reading them! Great story.
Pirate Penguin chapter 1 . 7/2/2014
Hello, let me start off by saying that this was a neat little read :D

I loved how the last line echoed the title and I like your style. I don't know how to explain it, but it's easy to read and the words just flow. Plus, despite being a short piece, it pulled me in right away. It's pretty interesting and it piqued my curiosity.

"Cat's have mirrors in their eyes; did you know that?"

That had to be my favorite line it did a great job at setting the story's tone. Good job and happy writing!