Reviews for The Lotus and The Loon
leavesfallingup chapter 6 . 9/18/2016
A question: what is the purpose for Rose seducing the king if she isn't supposed to marry him? All of the conversations between the Loon and Lotus explicitly indicate that she won't be married to him, so where is all of this going?
Ilsa with an I chapter 14 . 9/17/2016
So when is Brontide going to eat Maureen? If you start a Twitter I expect that to be one of the first questions you answer.
Lantern no Headphone chapter 14 . 9/17/2016
Yes please get a twitter! Would love to hear more from you aside from your chapter updates.
guidancefrombooks chapter 1 . 9/16/2016
i luv your writing skills!
amothepirate chapter 14 . 9/14/2016
ayeeee this was great! Looking forward to the next chapter!
Queen.of.the.Ashes chapter 14 . 9/14/2016
Ok, well this has given me more questions than answers. We know what happened to his parents but now we know he wasn't born with his powers or the throne. How does this governing system work?! Is it the strongest person on the island gets the power? And this opens a can of worms about Brontide. My theory is he's dying and he needs to give the rest of his power to someone before he kicks the bucket. But then... Omg. I'm so confused. But on the other hand, Eden and Atlas are so cute! I can't wait for more chapters!
A chapter 14 . 9/14/2016
Woah. Okay.
JaeHee27 chapter 14 . 9/14/2016
Squeal like a pig when I notice that the story has been updated! I love getting to know the story of Atlas and Maureen. So insightful! Also with Atlas getting his power from Brontide?! OMG! I want more everytime I finish an update. I could never get enough of this. And please do start a Twitter account. I would love to converse with you. Happy writing!

- Jae Hee
guest chapter 13 . 9/3/2016
Just loved it ! Keep going !
Asexual Jane chapter 13 . 8/23/2016
"Something not unlike what she shared with Rose."

I was right! I feel so triumphant and I didn't even do anything!

On to new revelations: Her falling off the stepping stone is totally her own fault. He's now figured out she has a developed sense of private space and will use it to tease her in future.

If she'd stepped closer with that bored relaxed bitch-face when he had closed distance instead of giving ground, he would have had to either escalate to actual physical contact or concede his own challenge. This move is aggressive and shows self-confidence that she doesn't feel vulnerable in close proximity. It calls his bluff and strips him down to two moves. She's already shown with Maureen she can recognize and deflect social manipulations, but she's not seeing him as an opponent on that field. Her mistake. He's still testing to see what makes her panic and retreat, as he has since the beginning. If she can recognize that this makes him an opponent, she can surmount her own insecurities and respond with a clear head.

Or she could have sidestepped his challenge by moving in close and to the side, allowing him access to the next stepping stone. This tactic would on the surface make it seem like she didn't notice him invading her personal space and is allowing him to go forward, as if that were his aim in moving in close. The deferment, allowing him to walk ahead of her, is passive aggressive because it ignores his power move by appearing subservient, but trivializes his machination, and would put her at his back, giving her the strong offensive position and leaving him vulnerable. Should he turn with her, it would force her to openly recognize he is trying to corner her, and she could use her words to call him out on it. A simple "What are you doing?" or reminding him now that there aren't suppose to be more tests, displaying impatience and disappointment rather than nerves and fear. Once again, challenging him strips him down to either retreating or escalating.

Escalating is risky. If he goes too far, she has cause to escalate as well, whether that is pushing him into the water or arguing he is breaching the terms of their contract. More than his own well being, he is interested in her, in keeping her there, so threatening to leave is a valid threat, should she chose to use it. He could argue it is her job to ensure his life, health and good choice in brides, but this wouldn't be effective unless he knew how strong Thetan's hold on her is, thus, he can't know for certain that this would stop her from walking away.

On the other hand, he doesn't lose much by retreating.

Now, let's consider what her options were after he first moved forward and she retreated to the edge. He leans forward. She doesn't know it yet, but he probably has as much experience as Rose, and a lot less societal pressure to play coquette. She could lean forward too, knocking foreheads like two rams butting heads. Eye to eye, nose to nose, as awkward as it gets, just to prove the point that they could be that close and it doesn't bother her. She could have jabbed her finger into his chest and told him to backup. She could have even leaned back like a limbo contestant, which I have seen a girl do when I got up in her face, and it broke me up laughing.

But no, she let him know she has private space and he doesn't have VIP access.

So yeah, she's an idiot for falling in the water. It's like she just told him she's not completely immune to him. Bad Loon, now he'll be incorrigible.

Bad Atlas, for teasing the inexperienced assassin.

Bad Thetan, for not giving her a complete education.

Good author, now we'll be hooked. ;D
BritBookWorm chapter 13 . 8/21/2016
Seriously amazing story. Is this a book yet? Why isn't it a book? LET ME BUY IT!
Sorry, I got a bit excited there but for good reason. This story is filled with so many layers and subtexts, every conversation feels like it could have been said in real life and that so hard to find in published books let alone online communities. The plot is enough to keep people engaged but I believe the characters are where the true strength lies. Nearly every character that has been introduced are three dimensional and realistic, even so far one scene wonders like Calm or Calamity.
Anyway, so excited for the next chapter, even though i'm dreading the tale of Maureen and, in fact, severely questioning Atlas' taste and judgement if he believed she could ever be a good queen. It kind of makes me want to reach through the screen and slap him.
I have some predictions that are probably wrong but I'm going to post them anyway just for personal vindication if by some stroke of bizarre luck I'm right.
1. The test isn't for whether Atlas loves the woman but if she loves him? Although how Brontide could see that I don't know.
2. The fact that Eden has seen Brontide so many times is very important and you're just tricking us into thinking its insignificant after it was never mentioned again? And this then has something to do with how her brother died?
I can't wait till the next chapter but won't cry if it takes a while, you are doing this for free after all.
Love is a Ring Toss Game chapter 13 . 8/21/2016
Yes, Cinder Creek is really good. And it seems to be getting updated again after a bit which is always awesome.
I like the progression here. A bit of a shift from trying to solve the King's issues to looking a bit deeper at Eden. Thetan really messed her up, on one hand I love how strong and indomitable it has made her but on the other, she is a bit of a mess and we know how it effects her mentally.
The bit that is hard, is that her wounds are all that repairable really, it is who she is. I don't know how much change is possible for her, her thinking and way of life is so ingrained.
I really want more indication of what Atlas thinks about her, or what she is really feeling (the mask is pretty strong and it is part of who she is!)

Thanks for thinking of us and for the speedy update, I can't wait for more.
R. Ficst chapter 13 . 8/21/2016
This is so amazing! I love the characters, the unfolding plot, and the multiple layers to Loon's background - many lessons well-learned, but unrecognized abuse and conditioning as well.
R. Ficst chapter 7 . 8/21/2016
Hee hee! I love these guys!
effervial chapter 13 . 8/20/2016
Seriously dying here because I need to know what happens next. Feeling a mixture of wanting the story to end so I can read it to the end, but not wanting it to end. Honestly, you're brilliant. I half don't want Eden to end up with Atlas and just to sort of go on in her own independent way, but then half of me is just waiting for that other shoe to drop any moment now. Anyway, please keep writing!
413 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 .. Last Next »