Reviews for The Lotus and The Loon
A chapter 12 . 8/4/2016
Hi ! Good to see you're back. What surgery is this ? I know you have a quick and full recovery ! :)
I missed Atlas and Eden so much.
Guest chapter 12 . 8/4/2016
All I have to say is that I adore your book. The plot and th characters are so intriguing. You build up your characters layering them up adding new dimensions constantly. Each character plays a role and I don't feel like there are any add ons that are there simply there because you need a bad guy or a beautiful girl. I like how I can't tell what's going to happen. Many stories try to have some forced sense of mystery that is so blatantly obvious. I don't know know what to make of the characters; it's like meeting someone new and trying to understand them. I like Eden's silent strength. I feel like she is kind but doesn't know it because she feels like it has to come with certain attributes she lacks. Point is, I'm bordering obsessed. :)
lifeisbeautiful chapter 12 . 8/4/2016
YAY! You updated :) I love it! I didn't notice the test until I read the other reviews and I had to reread it again BUT IT'S SO COOL! I love all your characters and how you have developed them so perfectly. I also love the "Lotus", the "Loon", the formulas, and pretty much everything Eden does :) The subdue is pretty cool too. The names Saisal and Keon are also pretty cool. Also I find it funny that Rose is the Lotus. Because Rose and Lotus are both flowers? hahaahahahahahaha okay just kidding it's not that funny. I'm very excited for the steam bath :). Was this review as good as Gatorade? Or was it just Propel for the Soul (haha it rhymes)? Idk. But all I know is that your story is AMAZING. One of the best stories on FP right now. I was SO happy when you updated! Thanks so much and keep it coming! I hope your back feels better! Sleep. Rest. Dream of Eden and Atlas :) and other fun stuff!
Love is a Ring Toss Game chapter 12 . 8/3/2016
Oh my word, it truly felt like it was a million years. Not to pressure you, I just love this story so much that I literally check weekly! You never disappoint. I wondered if the cook in the last line would have used Atlas' name-it felt odd to me when I read it. like it didn't sit right. Other than that I didn't see mistakes.
Can't wait for the steam baths! I hope the next chapters flow freely!
Bookworm chapter 12 . 8/3/2016
I hear that speak and it types thing has come a long way? For after the surgery. Anyways I always love an update this just lacked too much Loon and Atlas alone time.
Pseudonym59 chapter 12 . 8/3/2016
Ahhh yes, another chapter! I loved Eden's test and how ruthlessly she administered it.
Guest chapter 12 . 8/3/2016
I'm so so so so happy to get another chapter! I've been missing this story...
Asexual Jane chapter 12 . 8/3/2016
Hi, I'm one of your lurkers from Handmaiden who's gotten sucked up into another of your stories. Admittedly, I'm much more compulsive checking my The Lotus and The Loon bookmark than my Handmaiden bookmark these days. I feel my interest in Handmaiden fading as all these major and minor subplot conflicts are resolved, like reclaiming his throne will somehow be anticlimatic because those two love each other and can now conquer anything. That's not your fault. That's the fault of a lot of stories that came before you were born setting up the expectation that fictional relationships and epic conflicts follow the same plot arc at the same pace. It is going to take a few years of reading stories where the love interest dies before the plot resolves to counter it.

I don't review very often. Even when my favorite authors ask for it, really need it. I'm a horrible person. So trust me, it is purely in my own self interest that I review this chapter. I'm going mad. The suspense is killing me. I have to find out (cue dramatic music) about the king's bath water.

I really liked Eden's test. As I read, I thought at first it was a loyalty test, to find out if the cook's remorse was genuine or suspiciously fervent. Like someone whose family is being held hostage might go too far to protect the real criminals. This isn't about bath water. That comes later. Then Eden would know the cook had been approached and could ID the real poisoners. As is, the cook really needs to think carefully about who was willing to supply the king's cook with such large quantities of poison berries.

I mean, knowing what she does now, doesn't it seem really weird that she was able to obtain so large a quantity to feed him for years? They are on an ISLAND! Without imports, Madge had limited resources for ingredients, but that makes it even less believable that someone could put a naturally sweet ingredient in front of her that she has never worked with before. Someone has to be cultivating it, where's the accountability there? If she was getting them at market, presumably the Bad Guys would have had to maintain a stall- which has so many other problems, like what happens when someone else wants to shop there, or if she tries to frugally shop around and another grocer tells her that jam she's cooking up is lethal? If the supplier was coming straight to the castle for deliveries, has that supplier been spooked since the cook temporarily lost her job and started asking questions, or does Eden now have an opportunity to entrap another Bad Guy? Shouldn't the cook be eagerly disclosing where she was getting brambleberry instead of sneakily removing all of it from her kitchen? Okay, strike that last one. If I found out I was accidentally poisoning my family, I would make sure my family was safe and the poison gone. Guilt and worry trumps suspicion and anger.

But it does seem weird no one else got poisoned. Madge explained herself, but what about Atlas's many many guests? Did none of them try to stay for breakfast? Ever steal something off his plate while flirting?

Despite all my questions, I really liked Eden's test. Even though on the surface it seems she's being mean, cold and punishing Madge for her ignorant actions, it was a calculated bluff that revealed character traits for all three present. Writing-wise, that was a great device.

The last sentence did exactly what a last sentence should in any chapter: make me eager for more to find out where this goes next. The steam baths immediately make me think of detoxing. Helps me with everything from over-processed oily fast food to flushing garlic out of my pores before it comes out in less socially accepted ways. Maybe Eden is aiming to remove more poison from his system. I could also see, since Eden took a very short cold shower earlier, steam baths being an awesome perk for her. I can't imagine Thetis allowed her the luxury of relaxing during bathtime, ever, trapping her in the mindset that she endangered Rose. Then again, getting him naked in a steam bath -preferably as part of their regular routine- could help her gauge how much work vs magic it'll take to heal him. Plus, you've already established with the bath house scene a parallel between her relationship with Rose and Atlas as both being people she protects and acts as confidante. That parallel will make the next chapter potentially awesome.

Will Eden be self-conscious about her body? His body? Awkward as hell as he tries to chitchat? Or will the innuendo escape her notice because she's never thought of herself as sensual and he is a sick man who is a job to her? Will she check all his bath oils for topical poisons? Will he finally reveal why being an evasive ninja on his roof turns him on? Does he bathe in saltwater since his palace sits on top of an oceanic cave? Don't know. Yet...

Have fun writing! Ice your sore back, do some yoga, take Tylenol, replace the chair, whatever works for you. I don't believe in artists suffering for their art. Take care of yourself!

And thank you for sharing this story for free with all the spider people on the world wide web!
Ilsa with an I chapter 12 . 8/3/2016
Yay, you're back! This is my favorite story on fictionpress right now. I love how smart and practical Eden is, and how kind Atlas is, and how you don't just tell us that, but show it clearly through their words and actions. And I'm glad the cook is back; I felt sorry for her when Eden had to dismiss all of them. When are we going to learn more about Brontide?
JaeHee27 chapter 12 . 8/3/2016
Thank you for updating! It has been so long! :( Eden is such an unique character that it takes a while to understand her. Praying for more Atlas and Eden. Happy writing! :)

- Jae Hee
infinite101 chapter 12 . 8/3/2016
Hi I was so happy to see the notification that there was an update and this chapter definitely didn't disappoint! I'm so excited to see what happens next. I hope you feel better soon wishing you all the best :)
ObsidianSky chapter 12 . 8/2/2016
Great Chapter! I love your style of writing in both Handmaiden and TLTL. You are definitely one of my top favorite authors on Fictionpress.
When I saw that you updated, I got really excited because I was waiting for what seemed like forever. I can't wait for the next one!
incognitus chapter 12 . 8/2/2016
Yay it's good to see you back! Great foundational chapter here; I'm really looking forward to seeing how you build on the layers after this, like solving the mystery behind the brambelberry, getting Atlas back to full health, and of course growing his relationship with Eden. Thanks for updating, and wishing you a speedy and painless recovery after your surgery!
Queen.of.the.Ashes chapter 12 . 8/2/2016
I'm so happy you're back! I can't wait to see where you take this story. I really love Eden and would love to see more of Atlas and the twins.
iamanacorn chapter 11 . 7/25/2016
Gah! All three of your stories are BRILLIANT. SERIOUSLY.
They're so original with intricate plot lines and diverse characters. Please update! Seriously, any of them are cool as they're all bloody brilliant.
You're one of my favourite authors :)
413 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 .. Last Next »