Reviews for One Last Roundup
J.A. Cadelina chapter 1 . 11/18/2014
It was a good story. I liked it a lot because of the writing style.
Hedonistic Opportunist chapter 1 . 10/12/2014
Another one of those small gems I've found on FictonPress during the course of the weekend. I'll even let it slide that you changed POV towards the end of the story – it wasn't all that awkward though, and I didn't feel it interrupted the flow of the text. Anyhow, this is beautiful. It just is. I cannot say how much I love the genuine emotion and heartbreaking simplicity of this fic; during all those times of modernisation and increased commercialism, we often forget what it's like for people of the 'past' to live in a world like this, and I think your piece showed or at least offered us a glimpse of what it might be like. And it's thought-provoking and haunting, without being moralising or too damning. It's just a story about a transition and a single man feeling like he can't fit it anymore. I'm honestly touched.

What this also means is that I liked how you wrote out old man's emotions. It was relatively subtle and understated, with just enough emotion to make it tangible to the reader without becoming so overloaded that it felt like fake. It was the little things that touched me, like the old man staying behind with his horse because he felt bound to the creature in some ways. It's the sort of thing that genuinely makes me feel sad ):

Also, your writing is just so nicely simple; it's clear and concise, with just enough detail to be vivid, but without being heavy or distracting.

Lovely work :)!

This review was brought to you by the Review Game Forum's October Review Marathon (link in my profile).