Reviews for Then and Again
Rebecca Roy chapter 2 . 8/22/2015
I feel for Camellia here, really feel for her, this future is quite bleak indeed.
Rebecca Roy chapter 1 . 8/22/2015
Very interesting start.
schehrezade2005 chapter 10 . 3/17/2015
The necklace seems to be popping up, which tells me perhaps it has a larger role to play as the story goes on. It's interesting that both women have the same jewelry item in two different parts of the country, so perhaps it's much more of a common thread among the Maidens than at first glance. And hope seems to be one of the only things for the servants to believe in...but I like to think there will be things for them to hope for rather than just an ideal...
schehrezade2005 chapter 5 . 2/7/2015
This notions of Settings is interesting - I believe it has something to do with one's intelligence, but the way the world and the characters are set up, it's hard to say for certain. It plays on the idea that there are people in a society that are smarter than others - much as in our own society - but I get the feeling there's something a little more that is associated with it.

Hope seems to be in short supply, to be certain, though I imagine this siege has been going on for a while and hope is sort of going the way of freedom - it's there and it's a feeling you have in a moment, but it's not something to really pine after. I could be wrong. I will acknowledge that in a world with what appears to be a high mortality rate, hope is seen as somewhat fanciful, but I think in order for the characters to be able to keep going, there has to be just a spark of it somewhere.
schehrezade2005 chapter 4 . 2/7/2015
I like the relationship you have established between Camellia and Diana, even though for this world it is rather unorthodox for a Maid to have such a close relationship with the children of her employers. Both deserve a little more credit than they are given, but they seem to use their wits when it comes to dealing with others, especially Lady Stepfordson.

The ending was a surprise, but it certainly heightens the tension...
schehrezade2005 chapter 2 . 2/7/2015
I grumble at the notion of drugging children, but if Nyquil of the future puts parents at ease, no point in arguing too vehemently against it...especially if one wants to keep their position.

ANYWAY.

How interesting it is that children are the ones having the dreams, although I might assume that all persons in this particular society have had the "Dream of Darkness" at some point and perhaps grown out of it...? Again, I'm sure this gets addressed a little more as the story goes on.

The dichotomy of the light bulb versus the candle is an interesting touch, as is the contrast between the light and the dark. Going out on a limb here, but it seems like the world has been enveloped in a sort of darkness since January of 2017 and the dream is not only linked to those events of the past, but maybe holds a key to unlocking the world of the unknown. I'm curious to know why Diana has decided a light bulb is better than a candle (I mean, besides a few fairly obvious reasons) and how she came to that particular conclusion, but again, going to have to read more to find out.
schehrezade2005 chapter 1 . 2/7/2015
I find it intriguing that freedom is a notion to be feared rather than welcomed, but I think we'll be getting to that as we continue with the story.

Off the bat, this is reminiscent of Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" - post-apocalyptic world in which handmaidens are employed to keep the home, entertain the husbands, and bear children in place of the wives.

I'm curious to see where this goes...
My21Heartbeats chapter 1 . 10/17/2014
I got the image of Mary Poppins in my head for a second as you talked about the maids lining up. That image quickly turned more grim as you went on and I like that. I want to know more about the situation and the world in which they live but I think my favorite part of this chapter has to be the ending line. The idea that freedom - something coveted and seen as the most basic of rights - is something people no longer aspire toward; it may be because of the need of belonging to a "house" or maybe its Diana's need for this job so that she can move up in the world. Either way I enjoyed it. (I would appreciate it dearly if you read and reviewed one of my stories; for every review I review back!)
LorrahBear chapter 2 . 10/5/2014
Oh interesting. The prologue left me thinking that this was a piece set in the past, prior to light bulbs and taxis. That took me a little bit to adjust to. Sometimes the conversation feels a little awkward, and I do wish the conversation hadn't been italicized. Beyond that though, you're moving the plot forward well, while still leaving enough questions to leave me wondering and coming back for more.

Well done.
LorrahBear chapter 1 . 10/5/2014
Excellent Prologue. On to the next chapter! :)