Reviews for The Marauders of the Frozen Sea
Knavethefish chapter 1 . 7/14/2015
The story bears some similarity to the Ibn-Fadlan manuscripts, and therefore to Eaters of the Dead as well. I enjoyed that the story mainly revolved around the journey and less about the character. Although I found some of the language confusing, such as scrivener and trade-cant. Overall, enjoyable, if somewhat hard to follow. I don't have much to say beyond that, other than suggesting reading Michael Creighton's rendition of Eaters of the Dead if you haven't.
Tosha Goff chapter 1 . 12/30/2014
This is a pretty cool story. Getting a Lovecraft vibe here. The story is very well written, like always, but there are a few places (not many) with grammatical errors. While it's not a big probelm (more than likely sounding like a broken record), it did throw me off. But still, I really liked the short story what with these new places and civilizations, and the monsters tied in with it. I say good job, if I'm not sounding rude or anything.
I.F.C chapter 1 . 12/28/2014
Quite fantastic, indeed. I have to say, that OCD part of me loves the spacing between paragraphs though that's probably the least applicable praise I could give.
Your writing is pretty universally 'good' at the least, but this was tremendous. The pacing was right, the tone was consistent and suspenseful with a level of buildup that had me rapt. Pollus was a very well fleshed out character, and I needn't complain that the others weren't because it wasn't about them and hardly about Pollus but rather the journey and mystery itself.
You've also vastly improved your use of language from the last work of yours I read, and I've noticed you didn't succumb to using the same word over and over again, which was a habit of yours in some pieces.
In short, a very good short story, and I can't wait to see more of your work surrounding Onisah and it's encompassing world.