Reviews for Somewhere Else
Guest chapter 18 . 5/20/2016
Agh I want to stick around but I'm dyyyying to see the finish line for this story. Do you ever wish you stories on fiction press were just completed and put on the site so you could binge read the whole thing? Cause that's how I feel about this story. Right. Now. Ufbendkenejdicns
Claire chapter 18 . 5/19/2016
Great chapter! It's been a long time coming, I think. Can't wait for the next one! :)
jiebom chapter 18 . 5/16/2016
this chapter made me want to give up.. (not giving up to follow this story) but giving up the relationship. Emi don't want to try..i know..everything is different.. but love is about doing the best together.. no? and Axel.. i don't know.. maybe they need to communicate more? but language difference sure hard..but love can overcome everything right.. i dunno..
i dunno which side to take.. i usually siding with the heroine but.. maybe they should break up? but then.. i dunno.. haha
Thanks for the chapter.. i hope you'll update again soon.. this story keep on replying in my head.. hurting my heart.. sigh..
ellaistria chapter 18 . 5/15/2016
Hi there,
I’m sorry I haven’t actually reviewed before. I am 100% hooked on this story. Completely invested. You are breaking my heart with every chapter but…
I really like the way you have portrayed Emi’s feelings. Every detail is very symbolic because it goes to show another layer. And just when you think things are bad enough, something else happens that proves things can always get worse. But that’s life I guess and I think that is one of the greatest things about this story: that is very realistic.
I can’t expect Emi’s feelings of uprootedness to change over night because when you are away from your country and you miss it, it’s like a wound that only grows bigger and deeper. And I think by showing her every day struggles, you are showing how difficult it actually is.
At the end of the day, language is a barrier. People think that learning another language it’s just learning how to understand what people say in that certain language. And that couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s not just grammar, spelling and phonetics, it’s also learning how people function in another culture. What they say and what they don’t say, what is humorous for them and what is not. It’s such an intricate and complex issue and I think it’s great how you have described Emi’s frustration towards learning Finnish. It’s such a challenging and difficult task and it requires a lot of effort jumping that gap from one culture to another.
And it’s so true what you’ve said that there is an innate confidence that can’t be imitated when you are in a place that you are not familiar with, speaking a language you are not used to. You just can’t fully express yourself and, therefore, it’s as if you can’t truly be yourself.
I think it’s great that Aksel is changing because as you’ve said, he has feelings too and he has been dealing with Emi’s issues all along. And he has been far too kind and accepting. He is human too, and showing his side just makes the story more real and his character also.
Anyhow, I won’t make this much longer. Thanks so much for updating :) You are seriously an amazing writer. I’m looking forward to reading the next chapter!
SnoQueen chapter 18 . 5/15/2016
I haven't reviewed the last few chapters just because I didn't feel there was a huge amount of progress with Emi and Aksel. Emi was still finding it difficult to fit in, and I was starting to get impatient with her thoughts, to be honest. But this chapter...this has completely broken my heart. I kind of expected it would come to this at one point, but man! It burns! ):
Absolutely love your writing, can't say that enough. Really looking forward to what happens next!
Et28 chapter 18 . 5/15/2016
I'm so invested in this story/this couple so I'm always anticipating (and dreading a little ) each update cos I'm afraid of what could be coming! I've been finding Emilie's behaviour annoying yet totally understandable and realistic.I too am glad that Aksel had a me you capture so well the heartache and struggle of such a relationship.I love the angst but I cant help myself I want their happy ending!
thank you for continuing to share your gift.
Marjulie chapter 18 . 5/14/2016
Personally, I like the change in Aksel. His reaction is long overdue to be honest. A little of topic but whenever I read your updates, reread previous or even 'Something Better', I always listen to the song All I Want by Dawn Golden, but lately I think Let it Go by James Bay is fitting. I remember this time when of my elementary teacher from ages ago was telling a story about someone who went on 'vacation' about a month after her husband died because she couldn't bare to be in misery any more. Maybe it's time for Emi and Aksel to do the same. Just a tiny break spanning a chapter or two where Emi come back home (let's get real, no matter what Emi says, Helsinki is not her home). I think they both need that.
Anon-y-maus chapter 18 . 5/14/2016
Wonderful to see an update! .

My heart breaks every time I see (or read) Emi act so reluctant to learn something new. I think the aim is to learn something new each day and she's almost being compelled to learn new things to survive but her self-doubt holds her back.

I wish she comes into her own as the story progresses and her low self-esteem isn't the cause of their break-up :(
Sparklingjewel12 chapter 18 . 5/14/2016
Great chapter as always but the ending broke my heart
dress chapter 18 . 5/14/2016
Oh my god, this chapter was just heartbreaking to read :( I really hope this turning point next chapter that you mentioned is a positive one, because things really can't get much worse (really really really hope I haven't jinxed it here!). As much as I love reading your portrayal of seemingly perfect male characters (Alex from Where I Learn From My Mistakes comes to mind... *swoons*), flawed characters are kind of refreshing to read about as well. Much closer to reality!

On another note - Eurovision. I've never really watched it or paid any attention to it seeing as I'm Australian, but recently, Australia has started participating - wtf? Kind of stumped by this, because y'know, it's EUROvision LOL. How do Europeans feel about non-Europeans competing in Eurovision?
Blueivies chapter 18 . 5/14/2016
Wellll... your story makes me feel depressed :( I hope they solve their problem soon, I really need a happily ever after soon
jiebom chapter 1 . 5/10/2016
Please don't let them break up.. they're on verge of breaking right..
Ami chapter 17 . 5/10/2016
I don't know what to say.. I feel so sad for emi.. her bf changed.. but..Please update this story..again..
ilovewaddles chapter 1 . 5/8/2016
Your writing is amazing. I've read all your stories, and loved them all. I was happy to see this continuation of the one-shot cause those characters are so darn...endearing, realistic, and interesting.

This story is just as good, because it really shows the MC's struggles, with being away from home, friends/family everything she's known, looking different, feeling as if she's judged because of her different appearance, and how the little things like not being able to order food, or navigate the grocery store makes you feel as if you don't belong. And you really captured the awkwardness one feels when they are with a group of people , in this case, Aksel's friends, where she cannot connect with them, where she constantly feels inferior and like a burden, because they speak English around her instead of their native tongue. She's also frustrating though, because everyone is making an effort to help her, from the teacher, Aksel, and even his friends. Yeah, Alice can be a bit rude and blunt, but overall, they don't HAVE to speak English around her. And breaking down in class over a quiz, I feel for her. There have been so many times I broke down over the smallest thing, like when the pressure finally cracked. I wanted to reach into this story and hug her!

The only negative I feel with this story is that lately things seem a bit too drawn out. By focusing on how much she doesn't fit in, and how insecure she is, the story doesn't seem to be progressing. Already at chapter 17, and not much has happened. I kind of hope to see something happen, whether good or bad, to actually make the story move along.

Keep it up!
What chapter 17 . 5/4/2016
Sorry for the outburst but anyway, your writing form is flawless as always.
167 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »