Reviews for Mauve The Potato Girl
V.A. Wynteras chapter 49 . 5/8/2020
Holy cheese! Has it been a year since I last reviewed?! _
Excellent way to catch up? More please
Luminariel chapter 44 . 3/29/2020
Aw man, I thought it was finally going to come out that he put witch's nose in the other poison to kill the captain. This is amazing so far, so you know. I can't wait to see the end. All that karma coming home to roost. -evil chuckling-
V.A. Wynteras chapter 28 . 2/5/2019
*squeals* CAUVE SHIP HAS FINALLY SAILED! YAHOOO!
Please dear author! MOAAARRRRR!
Asexual Jane chapter 27 . 1/1/2019
Congratulations on your degree!

I must be psychic. After not checking for updates for months, I checked late last night, and when the page refreshed the next day, you had updated. Naturally, this proves my powers, whereas the fifty times I checked for updates and found none disproves nothing.

Very solid plot development, on multiple plots. That's a yay.

The off-camera funeral was a nice trick to demonstrate her shock and grief without bogging down the story. It also gets rid of the body of evidence supporting the theory the man died of poisoning. Unless they get a bunch of Wilkin in outrage that a body was dumped in their sacred river, who can conveniently testify the symptoms of witches nose overdose. Wait, did they travel upstream or downstream from the Wilkin village?

Calder did some fancy verbal footwork there, without giving away anything. Mauve returned the favor by keeping her exchanges with him silent. I wonder how he feels about her thoughts about his father's natural magnetism. As tuned as he is to her station, I bet he didn't miss that at all. I worry for the girl that she's still so focused on appearances. And her infatuation with powerful men. She's growing as a person. But if he were feeling petty about her accusational thoughts, he could call her shallow and manipulative in return, and there would be truth in it.

Someone wise would be more concerned that the Nors, who supposedly invited them, weren't expecting them. Either the Nors have had a coup, and the current power has no interest in peace, or someone else manipulated the Kingsmen to be there under false pretenses with bad information. Thomas should have admitted the mission was a bust and gotten his men, the prince and the gold out of there. Unfortunately, he couldn't detect duplicity if it whacked him with a frying pan. Also, if he could get a message to the king and back in 3 days, he should have done so before approaching the trolls, especially after the scouts reported their numbers and war preparations. Let the king decide whether to risk his heir. That's way above Thomas's pay grade.

Noticed a few instances of words missing, or used incorrectly, but it was still readable. After the hiatus, the excitement of a new chapter doesn't diminish when my inner copy editor gets out her red pen. Actually, strike that. It has less to do with the hiatus, and more to do with how much I like this story. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" only works with diehard optimists.
V.A. Wynteras chapter 25 . 4/21/2018
Oh, Calder. :'( I feel his sorrow- the selfish desire to protect someone that you love, but they do not feel the same about you. Unrequited love is the worst kind of love. He is correct however, she must be wary of the company that she keeps. Something tells me that the true reason why her bone washed away was that Tristian isn't the man that she thinks that he is...
Thomas surprised me. I can not wait to read more~ Keep it up!
ghost reflection chapter 23 . 3/9/2018
This is so good! So glad you've written more! Please keep writing! Wish I could write something half as intriguing as this.
JoyI9199 chapter 23 . 3/8/2018
SQUEEEEEE. IT'S SO CUTE!
Jane chapter 23 . 1/28/2018
Shit. Scene so good I want to lecture the characters.

Calder, if the lady doesn't consent to your affections, you don't wear another face while she's drunk and try again. I realize, being a mindreader and a shapeshifter, you are trying to acquiesce to her unspoken desires, but if you aren't upfront about it, it slides into No Consent territory. If the Wilfkins are right, you have a lot of lessons to learn, because fooling her into thinking you are another man is going to open up a whole new world of pain when her thoughts are STILL only of him, and she hates you. On the other hand, you are the ultimate underdog in this love septangle, dealing with the largest handicap of being a different species and meeting her while blackmailing, threatening murder and cannibalism, and trading her life for a bridge toll. While two of those happened to a great aunt of mine with her husband, I wouldn't call it a great romantic formula. Maybe you should have buried a bone and checked in the morning before going through with this plan that you clearly didn't think through. What are you going to do during the rest of the trip? Only come to her at night or in private, keeping up the pretense until she says something to the real Tristan and the game is up? Dude, bad plan.

Maude, you sweet, stupid, lovesick idiot. I want to throttle you, drop you into a wheelbarrow, and dump you back at the party, where magically Tristan will be, because he never left. Have that talk, rip off that bandaid, and sober you up. Got a guy who can have any face he wants, who just confessed his love, and you really think Tristan is kissing you right now? How would Tristan know where you were in the middle of the woods? If Thomas, Brandis or the real Tristan don't find you snogging fake Tristan in the next chapter, interrupt this stupidity, none of you will be allowed to drink alcohol ever again. EVER! Feel the rage of a lifelong designated driver!
koyama chapter 21 . 9/25/2017
*lol* that was not nice.
but really, even so i don't want to believe it, but isn't it possible, that thomas was the one that 'helped' in injuring the captain? and, as far as i can remember, the captain got better in the beginning of the journey. so, he had medicine that helped. is mauve this green behind her ears that see cannot see this or does she not want to see it?

cu koyama
V.A. Wynteras chapter 20 . 1/2/2017
O_O That was quite a chapter! I can not wait for 21~
Aine and Beeta..Hmm I sense a great deal of many plot twists in the near future, which makes me question if Mauve is a stolen child, er changling. Think about chapter one...
Hrm.
I think I shall investigate~
More please!
Majube chapter 16 . 11/18/2016
Amazing story, I really enjoy the Mauve and Calder interaction and wonder what tinker was supposed to mean? Is that just a dwarf slang word for human? I really like the world building with all the fantastical creatures and look forward to Ogres! You're story is really amazing I hope you keep updating again
ghost reflection chapter 17 . 11/20/2016
So happy that you have updated this story! You have done a wonderful job making the characters real and relatable. I felt so bad for Mauve in this last chapter. I am also eager to find out what is going with Calder, and what this "medicine" is. If you ever want help editing or more suggestion and input feel free to message me.
V.A. Wynteras chapter 15 . 7/16/2016
My my. Quite an interesting chapter. Loved every moment of it!
More please.
ladymay chapter 15 . 7/10/2016
Great story! Can't wait for the next chapter (:
InsertFunnyUsernameHere chapter 13 . 7/5/2016
Can't wait for the next chapter! I love how Mauve went from being entirely against mind reading to literally looking to Calder to find out what's I with Christopher. And that awkward apology Thomas gave was really great! It's scenes like that that remind me why I ship Mauve and Thomas