Reviews for Watchtowers: Nivarra's Tail (1998?)
Wendy Thompson135th chapter 1 . 2/5/2015
Names, definitions and labels are occasionally difficult. 'kentaur' does not MEAN half human/half horse. The word contains no 'semi' or 'demi', and no word for 'horse' (ippo) or 'man' (andro). 'Tauri' means 'wild beast' and 'kent' means 'hundred'.
Graves (Greek Myths) suggests 'Centaur' is tribal name; ie a people who organized themselves in groups of a hundred (centum). Liddle & Scott (English-Greek Lexicon) mention 'band of brigands' without specifying numbers or species. Liddle & Scott also list an 'ippo-kentauri' –a horse centaur– without elaboration.
'Centaur' now LABELS only the half horse-half men as depicted in 'The Dying Centaur' even though the meanings of the parts of the word is not that precisely that. -'...call us kentaurs even though we are NOT wild beasts nor do we arrange ourselves in groups of one hundred...'
So what _do_ the narrator's people call themselves?
Try running a bit of keyboard art across the page, then continuing with the story IMMEDIATELY. After hooking the reader's interest, another necessary action to FINALLY get to the story may cause her to hit the back arrow instead of the 'next' button. A reader's attention must be cultivated.
M.E. Paris chapter 1 . 2/1/2015
Already reading the prologue and this sounds like I'm going to receive a hell of a blast. :o)
Alteng chapter 1 . 2/1/2015
I like the voice you use in this piece. It is telling a story, and it sounds ancient.

You have some interesting ideas going here. I am intrigued.