Reviews for StarLight
I enjoyed this chapter! The anime feels* are there :D
AND it's complete!

I'll reading on!
23iu2309fjanka chapter 1 . 2/2
Somewhere in the distant past, I read this story up to a certain point. Then I dropped it because I was too busy with other stuff. I've decided to pick it up again and read from the beginning.

Anyway, congratulations on getting it on Kindle, my dude. (Now I just have to find it.)
Brendan Rizzo chapter 71 . 7/8/2017
Congratulations!

Really, this is probably exactly how such s battle would go if magical girls existed. And I like how you are actually capable of writing a denouement after the villain's defeat.

But there was no need to thank me for brainstorming help; I didn't do anything! But to answer the final question you posed, if someone's gonna get Red Moon's emblem, there are quite a few people who might give us some laughs. One could really make a case for any member of the White Star Fan Club. Or it could even be Inaba, who, as an adult, would be resistant to Red Moon's inevitable Evil Mentor attempts. Hell, it could even be Kazuo, or Card Game Guy! No one said an emblem-wielder had to be a girl. (Or maybe you did and I forgot.)

Well, that was a fun experience. I'll be looking forward to your future work.

- Brendan
Brendan Rizzo chapter 70 . 7/3/2017
I can't believe it. My theory about the secret identities being impossible to reveal was wrong! So I guess everyone really was just that stupid.

So, I don't remember the reason why Kage betrayed the other youkai, but it had something to do with booze, right?

But now that White and Black Star are teaming up, precisely two things will happen. Either they will fail for another chapter and beat Red Moon later, or they will defeat her in the next chapter by some contrived deus ex machina. Either way, awesomeness will ensue.

(But you'd think Mio would have some standards, and not ship her friends together.)
Brendan Rizzo chapter 69 . 6/17/2017
Silly Sanae, just because you say your attack can kill youkai doesn't mean it can.

And Red Moon is the obligatory villain invincible to everything. But it's cool that Black Star has appeared again, trying to help for once.

Hitomi is cool now.
Brendan Rizzo chapter 68 . 6/12/2017
So it's finally begun. We know for sure that Sanae will lose the first round, because it's only part 1 and she's already headed to fight the villain. I guess Amaya will have to get off her ass and do something constructive for once, because she can't cause wanton mayhem if all humans are enslaved.

Presumably each of them failed to notice the other's youkai, as usual.

As much as I agree that the political jokes are getting old, I don't remember there ever being a fourth wall in this. After all, the story literally begins with Sanae choosing to sleep in so that she can fulfill the "hero is late to school" cliche.

But congrats on getting this far. I'd like to see that concept art; it's further than I've ever gotten with any of my projects.
Brendan Rizzo chapter 67 . 6/6/2017
Only Card Game Guy can save us now!

And I was half expecting Amaya or the fan club or whoever to overhear White Star revealing her identity. Oh well.

So, there ARE other youkai around, huh? Lemme guess, this is the part where the story stops being episodic and starts getting overly long arcs. Except it won't, because crackfic.

Let's hear it for Chapter 13!
Brendan Rizzo chapter 66 . 6/1/2017
We are beginning to run out of gags. How are you going to sustain Season 2?!

And in other news, nobody was surprised at all that Kotone is a monster. Yet the scene itself is so random.

In any other series, this would lead to Sanae feeling hurt and betrayed, and trying to reason with Ciriel (I c wat u did thar) and inevitably fail, and get depressed. But since this is a comedy, that won't happen. The real question is, how didn't she see this coming?
Brendan Rizzo chapter 65 . 6/1/2017
Two chapters at once? Awesome!

Now, I haven't read the next one yet so I can't be sure, but this scene ought to be ringing alarm bells in Sanae's ear. It's obvious that Kotone used her magical powers on those bullies.

And there is a brick joke, and what the hell kind of show is this Bakuon?!

Well, to the next chapter! Let's see if I'm right...
The Last Artisan chapter 66 . 5/31/2017
queue Sephiroth theme
Brendan Rizzo chapter 64 . 4/21/2017
I don't remember Amaya being this meta before. I like it. It reminds one that she is the deuteragonist.

So, when Sanae put "said" instead of "whispered"... does that mean that she's the one writing the story?

And did you take Kazuo's theory from the Internet? It sounds too dumb to be a real hypothesis, which guarantees that somebody out there on the Net is taking it seriously.

Black Star versus school bullies would be interesting to watch...
Brendan Rizzo chapter 63 . 3/29/2017
Hee hee... it looks like the story has caught up to real time, as it's the spring of 2017 in both.

The prose in the first part sounds a bit purple. Was that on purpose, since it introduces Kotone, who is a mysterious transfer student, or just a coincidence?

It's nice to see that Amaya is finally getting some screen time. And I guess that Kotone will either be affiliated with the heretofore-unmentioned villains, and thereby set the plot in high gear, or else she will be completely unimportant just like with the Hinata's crush chapter.

I always feel kind of bad for the enigmatic transfer students. They always make it clear that they want to be left alone, but their classmates always mob them with questions. I don't like it when that happens to me in real life, so imagine how they must feel. But then again, their goal of solitude is doomed from the beginning, because if they got their wish, they would not be important characters at all.

Well, now you've got me excited for these last two chapters. Something is about to tell me that it will hit the fan.
Brendan Rizzo chapter 62 . 3/15/2017
Only in comedies can one get away with springing the girls from jail in such a way without it being a cop-out. Sure, it worked out NOW, but considering some of the continuity nods you have made at other times, I suspect that Hinata's mother will uncover the real reason her daughter came home late soon enough. When she does, I half predict that she'll be fine with it because she too was a rebel at that age.

As for the main plot, My Rule Fu is Stronger Than Yours saves the day. That's always cool. And since you had earlier told me that the time skip was just a joke and would be completely ignored, I didn't suspect a thing! In fact, I thought that Sanae would wriggle out of the contract by some other means, but you surprised me. Who knows how many other gags will actually be important later?

Clearly, this just shows that only Sanae can break the fourth wall to her own advantage.

And now I suspect that Nagisa will be the focus of next episode, and that she won't like it.
Brendan Rizzo chapter 61 . 2/10/2017
Paid-only DLC? Those fiends!

And Sanae gave herself away again. It's a good thing people are idiots, huh?

It seems to make sense that Nagisa became the leader of this protest, cause she's all tough and stuff. And Mio is a hypocrite, since that fanfic she was reading was probably erotic. But now Hinata is freaking out, and it's all Nagisa's fault. I thought she was supposed to stand up for the weaker people.

Though I can definitely understand why you thought this was controversial, I don't think it was any more so than South Park or anything. I think you worried too much. (But is the Gamergate controversy even topical anymore? From what I've gathered, people are sick of it, with only trolls keeping the conflict alive.) Then again, you did tell a joke about how quickly this would date itself.

Satoshi is probably laughing his ass off right now. His "rivals" disposed of themselves because of meta jokes.
Brendan Rizzo chapter 60 . 1/26/2017
And the plot thickens! The first part was full of meta-humor, which I liked, and even though Satoshi is a jackass who tricked White Star and made his employees do nothing but filler for two years, I can't help but like him. Also, I think I figured out how White Star will get out of the contract. Well, here's looking forward to the next part.
93 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »