Reviews for The Hurt That Finds You First
Jalux chapter 1 . 4/19/2015
The scene where his father kills the puppies is brutal and written very well in my opinion, it hits the reader that his father really is a heartless person who doesn't seem to respect life despite being very religious. Having Matt see it is a tiny bit cliched but definitely opens up the plot so to speak. His whole family is pretty messed up to be honest, what kind of mother tells her son that he's useless and lies to him constantly? That being said I did not expect the ending, that is more brutal in my opinion since it's not puppies but his actual sibling? I suppose part of the blame is on his parents and maybe his upbringing but damn you have to be pretty fucked up to murder to try "show" God up (in his mind). In that sense I feel like none of the characters are meant to be likable, this is more a story about themes. Like I can try understand his situation...but murdering your family is rarely if ever justified. Maybe you could argue his father deserved it but not an innocent baby.
Shampoo Suicide chapter 1 . 4/18/2015
I don't know how you always do this to me. I get to the end and he's thinking about how he's gonna show God, and I'm rooting for the comeuppance of the puppy murdering bastard and then you hit me with this. Incredible how you manage to subvert expectations nearly every time, it's very well done. Another thing I like about this, and a lot of the stuff you've done in general, is how the setting and tone established is sad but not overly so and in fact sometimes can feel neutral to happy and so when the shocking part comes it's even more of a gut punch. And it still doesn't feel gimmicky or anything. I admire it. What's cool about this specifically is how contemptible the adults feel, even the mother really, so you're horrified by what Matt does and yet it's still like...I don't wanna say good or even understandable but you get me maybe haha. Nice work!
17 | « Prev Page 1 2