Reviews for A Night-Time Visit
Un-Ended Tales chapter 1 . 7/5/2015
The name Jack has a strange tie to creepy stories like yours. Jack in the box. Jack the Ripper. Jack the Pumpkin King. Ranging from serial killers to unsettling children's toys. You have summed up the shiver that runs up everyone's spine when the dark Jacks are mentioned, the cool breath on the back of their neck when they're alone. Nicely done. I'd definitely read a story with this character again.
Jun Aoi chapter 1 . 6/30/2015
Very nice! Kind of like Santa Clause meets Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. Except less violent and a ton more creepy. Old Jack might actually live in my attic (0.0)!
Emerald Viper chapter 1 . 6/29/2015
I meow visualize a Peter Pan/ Lord of the Flies gang of street children carrying out horrors. This is really, really good. I don't have much to say except keep this character and bring him back in another story, just at the moment your readers think they are safe. This is the thing hiding in every kid's closet that mom & dad can never find. Bravo!
augie.toaste chapter 1 . 6/29/2015
This is clearly a serial killer's origin story right here. It's equal parts Jack the Pumpkin King and Jack the Ripper. You made me almost pee my pants, so if that's the effect you were going for, you nailed it. :)
nullified-See-Hikitsune-Red chapter 1 . 6/27/2015
This is quite possibly the creepiest thing I have read...Ever...

I really admire your ability to paint a very dark and grim picture using Old Jack as the brush. In a small matter of 1,300 words you have not only created an "umbrella wound around a chimney" but a very enduring, very well developed character, and his soon to be pupil.

Bravo, I say. Bravo!

(I also really enjoyed the "Jack-of-the-papers" paragraph!)
LightningBolt21 chapter 1 . 6/25/2015
Alright, this was ‘creepy’. I mean, I felt like this was a demented Santa Claus. ‘I watch you while you sleep’ and ‘you know who I am.’ Creepy, but good : ) Old Jack seems like a jolly old chap, but I wouldn’t want him to take care of me.
TanteLiz chapter 1 . 6/25/2015
This has the dark, stark, feel of an Edward Gorey print, both grim and lush. Well done!