Reviews for Blood of the Lion
Ericng chapter 28 . 7/23/2016
When I began reading chapter 1 I found difficulty matching David's words and action to the fact that he was supposed to be only 14 years old. However, once I got over that anomaly and re-imagined him as someone double that age, I was able to enjoy this story. I was spell bound by the politics, intrigue and conspiracies pitting three kings against each other. And I was captivated by the pace of history and story rushing forth from where the war began right down to chapter 28.

At various points in the story, I wished there was more insights into the thoughts and feelings of the characters, and more differentiation into who was the hero and who was the villian, and more heartaches and set backs for our hero to overcome. But I guess this story is already over 120,000 words long - if these elements were added to excite the imagination of the reader, this novel would be even longer. So, I will defer to the author's choice of how he wished to tell this story.
Guest chapter 20 . 11/18/2015
Love everything you are putting in and can't wait or more
Ramzes chapter 8 . 8/9/2015
A powerful last line, for sure! I can only wish him luck.
Guest chapter 7 . 8/9/2015
Poor Yolande. Still expecting her baby and not knowing what men - I mean, fate - have in store for her.
Ramzes chapter 6 . 8/2/2015
Poor Isabel! I loved seeing both ladies, though. Eleanor has always been interesting to me since Edward I was this renowned warrior and king, yet he was uxorious with both his queens. A multi-layered soul, I guess.
Will Zona chapter 10 . 7/26/2015
This chapter is intriguing. Keep up the great work.
Will Zona chapter 9 . 7/23/2015
Those two chapters were great. So much medieval planning and you added my favorite medieval sport. Keep up the outstanding work.
Wendy Thompson135th chapter 4 . 7/22/2015
Your punctuation needs some tweaking: "Rise Lord Aonghas." The King replied.. . -first, direct address, in this case _Lord Aonghas_, is an interjection and is set off with commas: Rise, Lord A... .
Second: do not use a period immediately before the closing quotation marks; always use a comma, an exclamation point or a question mark. Third: do not capital 'the'. With everything correct, the example would read like this: "Rise, Lord Aonghas," the King replied. -There are many, MANY, other examples that need correcting.
Ramzes chapter 5 . 7/17/2015
Wow! Philippe! A real treat. I've always been fascinated with him.
Guest chapter 4 . 7/17/2015
Reforms are a good thing. Pity that they can rarely be applied in any way but by force which brings out the question is the good expected of them so great as to offset the bad coming from the forced implementation.

I always love seeing Eleanor of Castile!
Will Zona chapter 7 . 7/15/2015
This chapter is spectacular. Keep up the astonishing work.
Will Zona chapter 6 . 7/13/2015
This chapter is amazing. Keep up the great work.
Will Zona chapter 5 . 7/12/2015
This chapter is outstanding. Keep up the suspenseful work.
Guest chapter 5 . 7/10/2015
Good work so far- your story has an interesting premise, and I'll admit I've often wondered what would have happened if the House of Canmore had continued beyond Alexander III. It's quite fascinating to read a possible version of events, and the more interesting that you chose David rather than his big brother or for the Maid of Norway to survive. Your writing is also fluent and intriguing, and the speech is consistent throughout.
However, there's a few things you might want to consider (just because I'm picky, feel free to pay me no mind). Particularly I have issues with the clear divisions your characters draw between Gaelic and Anglo-Norman traditions, as it seems to me they'd be more likely to look on the situation as much more complex and not quite so easily boxed into ethnic categories (maybe two hundred years earlier, but not so much in the late thirteenth century- not saying these traditions weren't absolutely present and flourishing, just a bit more hybrid and people weren't always as fussed). My main quibble with this is that bringing back 'Gaelic' traditions could put David in an awkward position- if, for example, tanistry had been in place rather than primogeniture, his father would never have won the throne. Also the brief use of 'Dal Riata'- Scotia maybe, but Dal Riata is such an ancient territorial concept that it doesn't really seem relevant here. And of course, Lothian famously wasn't particularly Gaelic, nor the territories in the North of England that Thorfinn implied David wanted to reclaim.
On that last note though, it would be interesting to see David reviving the claim to the north. That sounds interesting, particularly given who's in charge of England!
My last question is, will we hear why William Wallace seems to be in such high standing at court? As far as my knowledge extends, I'd believed him to be a minor nobleman's son at best, though with possible military experience. Is there a special reason for his closeness to David (because I'd love to hear about their relationship- it's a very tantalising prospect to hear about the man who, in another situation, would become a national 'hero', and might still)?
Anyway, sorry this was more of an essay than a review, but seriously, good work. I'd like to see more- we don't get enough about Scotland on this site, and your story shows a lot of promise!
The Wolf in the Rock chapter 1 . 7/10/2015
Sorry, the above was me, I forgot to log in! Anyway, well done again.