Reviews for Of Cases and Candles
W chapter 1 . 10/9/2015
Elle, seriously, update your story, get your stuff together and send me another chapter to read and edit.
Wendy Thompson135th chapter 2 . 8/22/2015
I'll explain this. '...job at the _pretentious_ and well known...' Pretentious is:
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed & characterized by assumption of dignity or importance, especially when exaggerated or undeserved. It's related to 'pretend'. Possibly _prestigious_ -inspiring respect and admiration; having high status- is what was meant here. Examples: -Hyacinth Bucket is pretentious, Brigham and Women's Hospital is prestigious.

There are problems with the capitalization and punctuation of the dialogue tag sentences. Go back to _Tagged Dialogue_ for some correct examples. I don't see that 'began', begged', 'vowed' etc add anything to the dialogue. 'Said' is so neutral it's nearly invisible, letting the dialogue stand alone. If the dialogue needs attention getting adjuncts, the dialogue needs tweaking.

Eye-rolling is generally done by teenage girls, not by army vets or doctors. I have no idea what 'tough army demure' can be. I suspect 'demure' is another word you should look up. If you are depending on a spell checker, don't. Always remember that a spell checker will correct only the spelling, not the word choice. That's still up to the author.

The Watson in _Sherlock_ is a better example of a complex character than the Watson in _Elementary_. If you haven't watched _Sherlock_, they're out on DVD.
solacing chapter 1 . 8/18/2015
Heyo!

I think this was a really strong start. Your descriptions were clear, vivid and easy to follow. I really like that you're retelling Sherlock Holmes from the perspective of Watson-only Watson is a girl! That's awesome. I liked that you kept Sherlock a male, though. I think the first person perspective will work really well with this story. :)
Wendy Thompson135th chapter 1 . 8/17/2015
_pretentious and well known_ ? Check a dictionary.
Mars Z. Pan chapter 3 . 8/16/2015
Welcome back. c:

The opening was wonderful! It begins right off marking your Sherlock as a unique incarnation. A ton of fictional geniuses fit the clich├ęs you describe, so in this way you get the feeling that he's gone through some pretty realistic hardships- I feel like the quote "what we attain with no effort we cannot value" is fitting. Everything came easily to Sherlock, so he understandably decided just to have as much fun as he could. It adds really well to his past and makes the reader wonder how that resulted in Detective Sherlock and his & Johanna's friendship. Also, the adaptations I've seen never give him any kind of goofy side. His thoughts about Mycroft's work were... amazing.

It sort of feels like Mycroft is the weird, annoying older brother to Johanna as well, in a way. I love how she teases him in the elevator and the way they both tell him to piss off hehe. Spamming Mycroft's email with subscriptions was excellent. I also like that you've made a point of making Sherlock & Johanna not a couple- I was wondering if you would, at the start, and it feels nice that you haven't gone the predictable way. The way they can just spend time together without any worries really lets their closeness shine through.

You've dropped in lore from the original in really good ways. Miss Adler gets a mention, and Moriarty, natch. Methadone was a really good choice of painkiller what with its rehab use and Sherlock's habits.

Again, a few typos and some punctuation issues. In terms of actual flow and plotting, though, I can't criticise at all! You've made it clear that the two of them have a ton of history without shoehorning it, and I'm impressed. I can't wait until you get into the main cases & conflict. I so want to see what you have planned!
Mars Z. Pan chapter 2 . 7/18/2015
Mmm, nice pacing. You've kept the depth of detail consistent without meandering, which makes it an easy yet interesting read. This's been a pretty good build-up to Holmes' appearance, with how you've given just a little detail about him - Johanna's attachment to him is especially apparent. I think you could do more to build tension, though, maybe some mention of their previous adventures to have more mystery & intrigue on the reader's part, especially if they don't know the series. I am imagining Holmes to be a totally awesome badass, so that may just be my own bias, heehee.

Seems like your Holmes is a playboy, that's pretty unique from the incarnations I know! Mycroft's phone call was particularly good, I could seriously hear the smarminess. Johanna's also nice and pragmatic, showing off her medical background establishes her character well. Few typos again, nothing major. Keep it up~
Lie Ono chapter 2 . 7/17/2015
If you write the mystery of the bombing while writing about another mystery, I'll be so happy.
Because I predicted it, yo!
Anyway, how old is everyone? I can imagine Johanna around her thirties, maybe? And Sherlock older?
I'd like to see Lestrade and Johanna's relationship defined a bit better. He calls her 'love' and 'sweetheart', but is it platonic?
So many questions and just in the first few chapters! :v
Keep writing!
Marsha Turner chapter 1 . 7/16/2015
Short and sweet.
Story is coherent and good, especially keeping the descriptions succinct.
There are a couple of spelling errors, but nothing a simple edit couldn't fix. [Examples: proboly, or you need too]
All in all, not bad ;)
Mars Z. Pan chapter 1 . 7/15/2015
Great start! You've got a strong first-person narrative voice, I really felt as if I was processing everything at the same speed as Johanna. Nothing felt rushed, and the amount of detail feels just right considering she was dazed from the accident. You've also done an excellent job of establishing that Johanna and Lestrade know each other without making it overly obvious.

I will say that it seems appropriate to give some detail about Lowell, since she's writing about her past experience. Or even ground her in the past more clearly (like "Lowell, I thought.). A few typos here and there, nothing a quick proofread can't fix. Also spotted a few run on sentences e.g. in the second paragraph, should split them up for better flow.

Overall, it's a strong beginning, definitely does the job of pulling the reader in. It seems a little odd that she's calling him Holmes, but then again we don't know how close they were, hehe. I also love your choice of name! It's just different enough to be unique, but similar enough to John. Looking forward to more.
Jalux chapter 1 . 7/15/2015
It's a solid start, I think it works solidly as an opening hook due to the confusion of the narrator. The dialogue is reasonably good, especially reflecting the character's emotional state like the "god damn department-" line hit home. I think the plot of this is alright, certainly not groundbreaking but I can see how it might go and where its strengths could lie. Admittedly one thing I feel is that I don't really care for the characters since they seem a little detached but I can see myself liking them in time. Good start.
Lie Ono chapter 1 . 7/15/2015
Wow! A retelling of Sherlock Holmes? I can't wait to see how you put your own twist on this! This is a very good start, and I can't wait for more! Keep writing!