Reviews for A Fool's Errand
DianyRdz chapter 1 . 8/4/2015
Very nicely written Dill!(: love how you were able to write about something like this (religion/spiritual) yet make it with a hint/tone of humor. It wasn't mocking (by no means) yet it wasn't all religion (like you weren't trying to drill it into our heads) it had a good happy balance.
Love love love how you are able to write about the ironies in life like this. She was the one that started off great and then ended up being the one whose life was upside down.
A fool's errand, had never heard that expression before but it does suit this story. Maybe he will be able to convince Ellen to come back to church, but fr the looks of it, Ellen while she may have been devoted before; it doesn't look like she still has that. I mean for a catholic person, (better said, for any person) to admit openly and loudly that they are mad at God.. Yea, going to take a while for Benny to convince her to come around. And yes, the husband was a huge jerk for doing that to her but unfortunately this world is full of disrespectful people like that.
It wasn't a total fool's errand that Benny embarked on. He did sort of accomplish something, he got Ellen back (even if it was just for that one night together) but at least it's something. I really really liked how this story was written even if I didn't meet eye to eye with a few of the character'a choices (no worries, all good vibes D!)
Anna Sutherland chapter 5 . 7/28/2015
Wow, what a bombshell (even though you'd let us see it coming). It's a great coup de theatre, but is it realistic? The idea of a guy being so wrapped up in his mid-life crisis that he brings his pregnant mistress to his wife's mother's funeral... I've known some bastards, but none who'd stoop quite that low.

I'm glad the rules have been suspended.
Anna Sutherland chapter 4 . 7/28/2015
"You just remind me of me, that's all" - great line! I like the feeling of lost opportunity and sadness you're conjuring up.
Anna Sutherland chapter 1 . 7/28/2015
I'm chuffed to have found a story by a grown up writing about grownups! And well written and engaging too. Definitely going to read more.
Savannah Singleton chapter 5 . 7/28/2015
Can't believe the husband brought his pregnant girlfriend to the funeral. How insensitive. What a creep.

Sweet, emotional story.
Savannah Singleton chapter 4 . 7/28/2015
I've never understood people turning against God because things go bad in their life. It happens, it's part of life.

We recently watched the movie "God's Not Dead", and this story reminds me of it. Now I'm going to have the song in my head the rest of the day, which isn't a bad thing. Great song.
Savannah Singleton chapter 3 . 7/28/2015
I don't think I like Ellen, though I do understand and sympathize with her and the issues she is now facing with the dying mother, separated husband. A year and a half — long separation. She's rather optimistic there thinking "everything will be okay soon".
Savannah Singleton chapter 1 . 7/28/2015
Interesting background information on their past relationship. It will be interesting to see how/where this reconnection goes.