Reviews for Roma Aeterna: Letters from the Roman Republic
AKrey177 chapter 7 . 1/21/2017
I like the way you've introduced Sextus' letter with the senatorial decree to put it in context. As ever, the text of the letter is beautifully written and effectively conveys some of the concerns Sextus would have been keen to show that he had. The only thing I'd say is that he was 22 in 45 and this reads like the work of a much older man. I'd like him to be a bit more uncertain and emotionally shattered!
AKrey177 chapter 6 . 1/7/2017
Another fine Caesarian BAMF moment! Interesting departure from the epistolary format. You've made the narrative both clear and exciting. I find Pollio fascinating - always surprised he hasn't been the main character is someone's novel. What about a letter from Sextus to his step-mother Cornelia to provide a more personal POV?
AKrey177 chapter 5 . 1/1/2017
You have Caesar come across as very much the dominant family patriarch, which works well. As ever, your language is entrancing. It reminds me a little of the style of the letters Caesar sends in the tv series Rome. I really like the passage about the susceptibility of 17-year-olds to laziness. So true!
AKrey177 chapter 4 . 12/17/2016
As always, beautifully written and thought-provoking. You replicate the mix of business and philosophy in the letters of this period very realistically. It's interesting that Brutus sees Cato's death as a protest at the state of the nation, rather than against Caesar's forgiveness, but quite in keeping with his character! Where next?
The Glorious Emperor chapter 3 . 12/4/2016
Liking the characterisation! Good work.
AKrey177 chapter 3 . 12/3/2016
Great characterisation of Antony squirming in Caesar's shadow and generally being repulsive! It would be interesting to see what 'good' he plans to do the city...
AKrey177 chapter 2 . 11/20/2016
Nice addition, once again giving a realistic sense of Cicero's melodramatic personality! It would be totally typical of him to misremember his reaction to his exile, certainly. Yeah, Caesar must've been a different person by the end of the Gallic Wars - he'd lost everyone. Oo, what about one from Cicero to Publilia remonstrating with her for her attitude to Tullia's death?
AKrey177 chapter 1 . 11/14/2016
Yes, Caesar must have written something like this, I think. You've captured the elegance of Caesar's style that survives in the few letters we have.