Reviews for Frenemy
PoetOfSaiMiHunManKal chapter 1 . 12/20/2015
An excellent poem and a powerful one. The imagery of depression being a knife and a double edged blade stuck in heart was extremely effective in conveying a sense of despair that was all too realistic. As someone who's gone through what may or may not be depression (maybe just extreme bitterness and despair), the whole poem resonated close to me and these lines ("I can't live with sorrow yet I can't live without it", "Now now, it's years too late", and "the blade's fused to me now") were especially meaningful to me.
As for the techniques you used, the standard technique of confessional poetry was quite effective in conveying the emotion and all the metaphors, imagery, and echoing you used were also efficacious in making this a wonderful poem.
venatianwings chapter 1 . 10/10/2015
Although it's about depression, there's actually some freshness to the way you have composed this. Especially the last line that sort of defines depression. I like that you used the knife/blade comparisons, it adds the right atmosphere.
theweekendpoetry chapter 1 . 10/3/2015
Strong line right there, definitely my favorite: "I can't live with sorrow yet I can't live without it."

This poem generally depicts nothing but the truth. This would be a big help in understanding people battling with depression.
zanybellecloudo chapter 1 . 9/18/2015
The imagery is so effective, using a blade in the heart to signify depression. It's very much like the song Lithium by Evanescence with a hint of bitter sweet sentiment. Anyway, I only hope all find a way out of the darkness... Thanks for sharing your meaningful and heartfelt poetry.
joeehartley chapter 1 . 8/26/2015
I don't know a lot about poetry and therefore I rarely review any. I've found so little poetry that I like or that speaks to me.

This does. I also have battled depression most of my life and can relate to the companionship it brings.

I can't comment on anything technical about this, but it did speak to me.

-Joe-
yanz chapter 1 . 8/19/2015
The last three lines hit home. Stay strong.