Reviews for In Zugzwang (Labyrinth August 2015)
Heavywordsthrown2light chapter 1 . 9/2/2016
The story speaks a harrowing truth. The plot twist was priceless. Being impratial came with a terrible price.
Hikitsune-Red chapter 1 . 9/2/2015
I enjoyed this story quite a bit.
I also enjoyed the unicorn shout-out to the forum ;)

I have to say that the title lost a lot of its meaning being so quickly called out, but that's just being picky, really.

The ending was rather...quick, I suppose, but in that same way, it kind of keeps me wanting to know more about what will happen, and also more about the fae and the other characters involved.

Nice piece.
TanteLiz chapter 1 . 8/29/2015
Hee-ee-ee... snort! Unicorn assassins! This was fun. On the suspicion that you were trying for the trifecta of war, murder, and language, I had to look up zugsvang just to make sure it was a real thing...
AlysonSerenaStone chapter 1 . 8/29/2015
I was not expecting there to be a unicorn in this story! Points for making it original!
augie.toaste chapter 1 . 8/26/2015
Oh dear.

Here I was, enjoying some contest entries with my dinner and suddenly-

UNICORN.

UNICORN SURPRISE.

I have never read a unicorn story so philosophical and vicious. :D

Two thumbs up for the forum reference.

Augs
Solemn Coyote chapter 1 . 8/20/2015
Some notes...

-Title feels like it's called out a little too early when you've already explained what Zugswang means. The more you use the word directly, the less it evokes the central theme.

-The idea that the best way not to sin is not to act is fantastic and so broken. It sets up an excellent character.

-I really adore the characterization and design behind the fae.

-Ending feels a bit of a pulled punch. Unless this is a world that you want to keep working in as is, why not let it burn?
T.D. Spearman chapter 1 . 8/20/2015
Very interesting perspective on the unicorn, as well as the fey courts and their politics. I'm really looking forward to what comes next.