Reviews for The 'FUN' in Funeral
Lord Wezel chapter 4 . 10/3/2015
Alright, a thousand apologies are in order for my lateness in reviewing this marvelous story...

This was very enjoyable and well-written. As I read the third chapter all I could think of was "this woman is crazy!" Then, I read this line: "...my sanity was on vacation and had left an idiot in charge." Perhaps, my favorite phrase was "overdosed on insanity." Quite enjoyable. However, I couldn't help but love the subtlety of Grim's attraction to Lara! Asking her to dance in such a sophisticated way? "Grim... you sly dog." And... "If depressed could be captured by a single dark hood." Such dimension and character that adds wonders to this already great story. I can really relate to Grim, in a way... obviously I'm not a reaper... cough... anyway, his loneliness and longing is very well-portrayed.

Then, I read the tragic scene. So much sadness and confusion. It's interesting that you depict the 'end' twice, but it's fitting and works well for the story.

Lara's offer to give Grim a chance at life was... unexpected, I guess? Which was unexpected in itself! I was waiting for her to join him, but I suppose it makes sense for their to be only one Grim at a time. Her 'sacrifice' was a great climax to the story.

My final comments is that Lara makes a humorous and albeit adorable Grim. She talks to her scythe like it's her companion on this journey. Ah, such mannerisms I enjoy so. And her interaction with Tilly was a wonderful ending.

All in all, I do think you take a depressing(?) subject and pour some hope and light into the darkness. Very great job!
Jack Bellows chapter 2 . 10/1/2015
I really felt the horror of that moment with Celine Dion. *Shudder*

This chapter is perfect. You have a suspenseful end this chapter (as usual) and now I'm excited for the next. I feel kind of bad, but this chapter seriously has no criticism.

(Except maybe a missing word somewhere in the first paragraph?)
Jack Bellows chapter 1 . 9/30/2015
Your opening was the perfect hook and don't even get me started on the content. I am sure you will wind up editing, but let me be the one to say this a quality piece and it is off to an excellent start.

Cant wait to read further! -
J.M. Black chapter 4 . 9/28/2015
You did exactly what you aimed to do: adding something beautiful to the darkest part of life. Your writing evokes subtle emotion in the reader and you created a sympathetic Grim Reaper, as well as protagonist. I applaud you and this story.

blaabaerlyng chapter 4 . 9/25/2015
I'm a little dumbfounded right now, it's strange really, feeling all these emotions. You put a new light to the idea of what is after life. It is beautifully written and an absolutely must read in my opinion! I'm happy I got the chanse to read this. Lara seems like the perfect Grim Reaper despite being far from perfect. Maybe Grim also was like that once upon a time.
deleted-account197 chapter 4 . 9/23/2015
This. Is. So. Sad! Why did you write that!? You made me super sad...You're giving me the *shudder* .
pastryninja chapter 4 . 9/22/2015
The ending was both touching and sad: sad because Grim and Lara separated, but touching because of the second chances they both have. I also really like the idea of the grim reaper giving the dead a chance to experience happiness before moving on. Overall, a heartwarming read!

And I'm very curious about the words said to move someone on? What are they?
SomewhatDisgruntled chapter 4 . 9/22/2015
Aww! Very sweet ending, and helps put an optimistic spin on it. Great story, zany!
AngryFerrets chapter 4 . 9/22/2015
Tears... a lot of them...you know why...Absolutely brilliant finish...
Aske Nat chapter 4 . 9/22/2015
That first line gets me every time: "Life is beautiful - but these surroundings were not." I don't know why, but it has me laughing every time I read it.

I love the ending; it's so nice how you've managed to create a happy ending to a story of such severe magnitude. Making death fun is no small feat. It is truly an impressive work that I wish I could favorite twice. However, I am sad to see it end, so maybe, with a little bit of prodding, we may see more of Lara? Insert puppy eyes.
AngryFerrets chapter 3 . 9/22/2015
Very touching...a chance to sample a favourite memory or a different life than was lead. Wonderfully written, engaging, witty, humourous. Such a wonderfully crafted piece that brings to the forefront how often people die without ever really taking advantage of and enjoying, life! Such subtle social commentary throughout and how modern lifestyles and beliefs affect how we live! This is great work!
AngryFerrets chapter 2 . 9/22/2015
Another great piece..."I felt myself die all over again." That had me laugh out loud...how many times has a tired, overplayed, and not particularly good song come on the radio and the response from me or a friend is "God, I'd rather die than hear that again." Such a relateable moment, hilarious that a dead person isn't free from that feeling! Also love how no one is paying attention to what's being said at her funeral, even herself as she's only getting bits and pieces...really enjoying this!
AngryFerrets chapter 1 . 9/22/2015
Terrific opening act! The change of pace from all the daily worries that we pretty much all think about to a brief social commentary to a...well...most indignant way to die is very well done. Some great subtle humour and some not so subtle as well, I can almost imagine her standing there and looking at her body thinking "WTF? That was stupid..." Great piece, looking forward to the next one!
J.M. Black chapter 3 . 9/20/2015
Grim is not the typical fearsome, terrifying character that makes him so infamous. He seems like the curious and sympathetic companion that accompanies Lara after death. I also like how Lara is in a white gown. As if her character represents a sense of purity or life that contrasts Grim's black robe. It's as if her pure self influences Grim in some way, when traditionally it's his character that influences his victims for the worst.
In fact, this story evokes a form of hope for Lara's character, even for death. I love it. The way it's written, the story, the hopeful ending. There's a toleration, even a likeness, of Death that is usual feared and scorned. You told this story beautifully.

J.M. Black chapter 2 . 9/20/2015
I love how the dog recognizes Lara and the Reaper, and she can even touch him tentatively. Great touch.
There's also a dark humor embedded into the story. It creates a unique flow of words. There are small notes in here that set this story apart from others, such as the dog, the Celine Dion song, the memory of her mother's funeral, and Lara's tears. It's all so wonderfully represented.

57 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »