Reviews for A Portrait By the Artist In His Late Period
InkWellWisher chapter 1 . 11/17/2015
This piece caught my attention, and I've been ruminating over it for a while. Being an oil painter myself, I am of course attracted to both the subject matter and content of your short story. Symbolically, this piece functions very well-there is something romantic about the artist tunneling into the troupe of pastoral paintings, an idealized depiction of life, while the world falls to pieces around him. And of course, there is always the discussion of "truth" in representational painting-the truth of the what the artist sees, etc.
I also enjoyed your decision to pattern the story structure with the artist's work and the newscaster's teary broadcasting of the destruction of the world, it had a dark humor, an irony-the job of person reaching out to the world while the other cut himself off.
The only criticisms I have for this story is that it is written from the perspective of a highly specific profession/hobby, and there aren't the right kind of details to convince me what I am reading is coming from an authentic experience. Painters don't think about the object they are representing as the object itself, but rather, how they are choosing to represent it (it is merely the shadow of the object); they are thinking about color mixing, paint brushes, edge qualities, what layer the painting is at, core shadows. We see it in color, in brushstrokes, paint itself.
I might suggest is having the idealized pastoral scene emerge from the more abstract descriptions of the act of painting rather than just of the objects within the painting, the scene realized to escape the horror of impending doom. More specific details- raw or burnt umber instead of just umber. A filbert or a flat or a round instead of just a brush.
Thank you for uploading this story, it was an interesting read with good merit and a great sense of metaphor and symbolism. Keep up the good work.
LittleAlchemist chapter 1 . 11/8/2015
Wow this was very well done! I wouldn't feel bad if I lost the contest to you at all! Great job! (just not to any of those poems haha).
Serendipity chapter 1 . 11/6/2015
I really enjoyed this! I like your portrayal of the prompt :)