Reviews for How to Be The Best (Internet) Writer In the World
Bob Story Builder chapter 16 . 11/30
This is good. Seem to have some of the humor from beginning chapters. Like how this is applicable to life and not just writing. I think back to TV show Supergirl where Supergirl's adopted sister comes out, and I thought the whole process of discovery and coming out was clunky and rushed.
Melancholia2017 chapter 16 . 11/30
I totally agree with the basics of what youre saying. Everyone should respect other peoples personal choices and preferences, and every human being deserves to find happiness and its place in life, no matter if trans or gay or whatever. YESSSS. That being said, I cannot deny the nature-given, biological differences between male and female in general. In some preschools they teach kids that male and female doesnt really exist and call it a human-made concept. I mean, thats crazy. Sure everybodys equal when it comes to human dignity, but when it comes to work, the physical differences unfortunately will show up again. I dont know any girl whos working as a mason or a working builder.
Phoenix O'Hara chapter 16 . 11/29
Yes! yes yes yesssss! as a queer person i've been WAITING for something like this to come along and you tackled it absolutely WONDERFULLY with your trademark wit, knowledge, and frank attitude. and that first example? bruh, you blew me out of th with that one. i am so so happy and proud that you're putting yourself out there and educating yourself on topics like these and i thank you for taking your talents and applying them to something a lot of us really identify with 3
TVH Bookfan chapter 12 . 11/21
I tried reviewing chapter 11, but apparently, my review for this chapter was done there, so I'll include my review for that one over here:
Once again, that was a very insightful chapter. When I was younger, even though I'm Latina, I never thought of myself as a person of color until I was much older, since I thought of race as being mostly black or white. Instead, I thought most of my differences were more connected with ethnicity, language, and nationality. One big reason was because my family is Guatemalan, while most other Latinos I knew, and whom got more representation within the media as far as I was concerned, were Mexican. There was even a teacher I knew who thought Guatemala was part of Mexico, and some kids who claimed that my ancestors must have been Mexican, just to show you how big cultural ignorance can get sometimes. I should also note right here that Christina Aguilera is actually half Latina. Not all Latinos are brown-skinned; some are Caucasian or black as well. But the majority are actually mixed race, being part white and part indigenous because of large number of marriages between the Spanish and indigenous populations back in the days of colonization of Latin America.

Of course, now that I'm older, I notice that racial differences are far more complex than I originally thought. I certainly agree that POC need more representation in areas you don't normally as very diverse. For instance, if you look at books written by Asian or Latino writers, most of it is labeled as "cultural fiction", and usually deal with historical events within certain nations or how a minority character struggles to adapt to life in the USA. While it is important to see stories like this, I'd also like find more science fiction or fantasy stories which are written by minority writers, or even a bestselling romance dealing with POC or interracial couples. As for the reasons some writers won't write about POC, I can see why some may be worried about not writing them correctly if they are not of that particular group. However, starting out with just including characters with different skin colors or names coming from different languages can be enough to begin with. If they want to go more in depth about their identities later on in the story, then that's just fine as well. What matters is to have characters of different cultures and races who are interesting and whom people of any cultural background can look up to.
DemigodessOfEternity chapter 15 . 11/13
Love this! Great job!
Bob Story Builder chapter 15 . 11/12
Liked the final sentence. I've been stagnating with all of my writing projects and the idea of reading what you want to write I've struggled with too. I haven't read a book (assigned or pleasure) in years and last time I finished a book(s) was a crappy fantasy series of several books a year ago. I been trying to force myself to write but I have no interest partly because I think everything I write is trash.
ghodges137 chapter 15 . 11/11
#perfectionist
Bob Story Builder chapter 14 . 11/7
I like your story ideas and no shame being a sellout. I'd think we all do what we do to get ahead or get ourselves out there.
ghodges137 chapter 14 . 11/7
This is about the best attempt to get around item #4D of the Terms of Use I can ever imagine - well done!
Phoenix O'Hara chapter 13 . 10/29
hooooly shit okay so this chapter is so so so needed and i am so incredibly grateful to you for tackling this subject with your trademark intelligence, wit, and grace 3
ghodges137 chapter 12 . 10/29
Ouch! I think I've got ~90% of Option #1 in the story I'm writing now (isn't that still worth an A, or an A-?). Oh well, at least my female protagonist has purple hair for over half of the story - purple hair for the win, right?
ghodges137 chapter 11 . 10/15
Ah, she's back... edgy and sharp, but with a hint of genuine flavor for the tuned pallet. As always, a joy to read - thanks for posting.

Your post reminds me of the anecdotes of several famous writers who came to despise their greatest and most popular works (Arthur Conan Doyle and his Sherlock Holmes stories comes to mind). Personally, I have come to find that what is good isn't always popular, and what is popular isn't always good - but perhaps I have said that in a previous comment? I find that that only critic that really matters is myself - so long as I can write the story as I have intended, then those that enjoy the same may like it too.

Take care and thanks again, as always, for posting.
TVH Bookfan chapter 11 . 10/14
I don't know how you'll feel about this, but I think it's sometimes okay for writers to humanize villains, whether in fanfiction or original work, so long as they still show how harmful their actions are towards others. I can understand why someone would be ashamed of doing this, and it really is best to carefully think over how you will use a character you don't already own, especially if they were as bad as this Death Note character seems to be (I haven't seen that anime yet, unfortunately). However, it's all a matter of making sure bad actions aren't justified. Constantly giving characters a mental illness just for the sake of adding something into the plot is certainly something problematic that I see in some fanfiction as well. Such issues should be explored throughout the story, not just brought up once or twice and then never discussed again until a character does something that's too outrageous to ever be seen in an actual individual with said disorder. Many writers make mistakes with accurate portrayals of any character. I know I have from time to time. It's all just a matter of making an effort to get that portrayal to come along in a respectful way.
As for success with stories on either of these two sites, it all seems a matter of exchange, especially on a site with as limited traffic as fictionpress has sometimes. You read and review someone's story, and the writer of the story responds back to you with a PM and hopefully a review of your own story if they feel like it. Some are lucky if they can get at least one review if they write a more complex and longer work, while other stories that are shorter and simpler have over a hundred reviews. I know that you sometimes want to read shorter work online than you normally would with a regular book, but you may miss out on some good stories if that's the way you approach all online stories. Now, let's hope that all writers who come across this will consider the advice you offer and make their own stories at least a little more readable and enjoyable than they may have been otherwise.
Applesawce chapter 11 . 10/10
*slow claps*
I have...
Alot much more, respect for you, after reading this.
Bob Story Builder chapter 11 . 10/10
I laughed at the euphemism "lightning creeper" because reminded me of this one thriller novel I've read that had the weirdest euphemisms for sex. The paragraph on LBTQIA is good reminder that people are people and not to emphasize some facet such as sexuality to make a plot or characterization go forward. In one story I'm writing, a minor plot point is a military officer who is lesbian who the protagonist unknowingly offends while insulting her in PTSD induced anger (he was also drunk, as drinking was for dealing with the stress of upcoming battle and just to cope with triggered trauma), so when she files a complaint against him for lewd misconduct she omits the part about insulting her orientation as she would be executed if her sexual orientation was learned.

As someone who has struggled with mental illness, I'm glad you realized that you contributed to the stigma rather than be realistic, which is what I try to do in my own writing. The want for attention I totally relate to and I pull myself out of that mindset by reminding myself I'm writing to see what happens to my protagonists at the end of their respective stories.
69 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »