Reviews for How to Be The Best (Internet) Writer In the World
Bob Story Builder chapter 17 . 2/12
I like problematic characters and not fan of paragons of equality or virtue (actually end up hoping they fail because you can't fix or change everyone or be perfect). I write stories that have flawed and honestly screwed up characters probably because I see myself as so emotionally screwed up and find it easier to write than writing light hearted characters.

Humans are messy and utopias are concentrated cults of messiness.
ghodges137 chapter 17 . 2/11
Well stated! Characters are far more believable when they are a mixed bag of good and bad. Just like us flawed mortals in real life.

And in real life, it's not easy, kind nor fair to just ditch everyone you have a disagreement with over some ideal. "Don't judge, lest ye be judged" comes to mind. I've learned to respect a person's right to their opinion - even if it is otherwise offensive on some level. So far, others have done it for me.

Thanks again for sharing.
A curious person chapter 16 . 12/30/2017
I've read up to ch.16, and I have a question: how would you handle homophobic/racist characters who also happen to have many positive traits that make them likable? In the real world, there are many people like this, and they aren't necessarily hated by their peers and sometimes they refuse to change their opinion; it also seems limiting to simply state "such characters cannot be written". I ask because I often find that it's difficult to tread the line between simply having these characters in your story and accidentally promoting homophobia/racism.

I really like your stuff, by the way. Please keep writing!
Bob Story Builder chapter 16 . 11/30/2017
This is good. Seem to have some of the humor from beginning chapters. Like how this is applicable to life and not just writing. I think back to TV show Supergirl where Supergirl's adopted sister comes out, and I thought the whole process of discovery and coming out was clunky and rushed.
Melancholia2017 chapter 16 . 11/30/2017
I totally agree with the basics of what youre saying. Everyone should respect other peoples personal choices and preferences, and every human being deserves to find happiness and its place in life, no matter if trans or gay or whatever. YESSSS. That being said, I cannot deny the nature-given, biological differences between male and female in general. In some preschools they teach kids that male and female doesnt really exist and call it a human-made concept. I mean, thats crazy. Sure everybodys equal when it comes to human dignity, but when it comes to work, the physical differences unfortunately will show up again. I dont know any girl whos working as a mason or a working builder.
Phoenix O'Hara chapter 16 . 11/29/2017
Yes! yes yes yesssss! as a queer person i've been WAITING for something like this to come along and you tackled it absolutely WONDERFULLY with your trademark wit, knowledge, and frank attitude. and that first example? bruh, you blew me out of th with that one. i am so so happy and proud that you're putting yourself out there and educating yourself on topics like these and i thank you for taking your talents and applying them to something a lot of us really identify with 3
TVH Bookfan chapter 12 . 11/21/2017
I tried reviewing chapter 11, but apparently, my review for this chapter was done there, so I'll include my review for that one over here:
Once again, that was a very insightful chapter. When I was younger, even though I'm Latina, I never thought of myself as a person of color until I was much older, since I thought of race as being mostly black or white. Instead, I thought most of my differences were more connected with ethnicity, language, and nationality. One big reason was because my family is Guatemalan, while most other Latinos I knew, and whom got more representation within the media as far as I was concerned, were Mexican. There was even a teacher I knew who thought Guatemala was part of Mexico, and some kids who claimed that my ancestors must have been Mexican, just to show you how big cultural ignorance can get sometimes. I should also note right here that Christina Aguilera is actually half Latina. Not all Latinos are brown-skinned; some are Caucasian or black as well. But the majority are actually mixed race, being part white and part indigenous because of large number of marriages between the Spanish and indigenous populations back in the days of colonization of Latin America.

Of course, now that I'm older, I notice that racial differences are far more complex than I originally thought. I certainly agree that POC need more representation in areas you don't normally as very diverse. For instance, if you look at books written by Asian or Latino writers, most of it is labeled as "cultural fiction", and usually deal with historical events within certain nations or how a minority character struggles to adapt to life in the USA. While it is important to see stories like this, I'd also like find more science fiction or fantasy stories which are written by minority writers, or even a bestselling romance dealing with POC or interracial couples. As for the reasons some writers won't write about POC, I can see why some may be worried about not writing them correctly if they are not of that particular group. However, starting out with just including characters with different skin colors or names coming from different languages can be enough to begin with. If they want to go more in depth about their identities later on in the story, then that's just fine as well. What matters is to have characters of different cultures and races who are interesting and whom people of any cultural background can look up to.
DemigodessOfEternity chapter 15 . 11/13/2017
Love this! Great job!
Bob Story Builder chapter 15 . 11/12/2017
Liked the final sentence. I've been stagnating with all of my writing projects and the idea of reading what you want to write I've struggled with too. I haven't read a book (assigned or pleasure) in years and last time I finished a book(s) was a crappy fantasy series of several books a year ago. I been trying to force myself to write but I have no interest partly because I think everything I write is trash.
ghodges137 chapter 15 . 11/11/2017
Bob Story Builder chapter 14 . 11/7/2017
I like your story ideas and no shame being a sellout. I'd think we all do what we do to get ahead or get ourselves out there.
ghodges137 chapter 14 . 11/7/2017
This is about the best attempt to get around item #4D of the Terms of Use I can ever imagine - well done!
Phoenix O'Hara chapter 13 . 10/29/2017
hooooly shit okay so this chapter is so so so needed and i am so incredibly grateful to you for tackling this subject with your trademark intelligence, wit, and grace 3
ghodges137 chapter 12 . 10/29/2017
Ouch! I think I've got ~90% of Option #1 in the story I'm writing now (isn't that still worth an A, or an A-?). Oh well, at least my female protagonist has purple hair for over half of the story - purple hair for the win, right?
ghodges137 chapter 11 . 10/15/2017
Ah, she's back... edgy and sharp, but with a hint of genuine flavor for the tuned pallet. As always, a joy to read - thanks for posting.

Your post reminds me of the anecdotes of several famous writers who came to despise their greatest and most popular works (Arthur Conan Doyle and his Sherlock Holmes stories comes to mind). Personally, I have come to find that what is good isn't always popular, and what is popular isn't always good - but perhaps I have said that in a previous comment? I find that that only critic that really matters is myself - so long as I can write the story as I have intended, then those that enjoy the same may like it too.

Take care and thanks again, as always, for posting.
72 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »