Reviews for How to Be The Best (Internet) Writer In the World
Bob Story Builder chapter 15 . 11/12/2017
Liked the final sentence. I've been stagnating with all of my writing projects and the idea of reading what you want to write I've struggled with too. I haven't read a book (assigned or pleasure) in years and last time I finished a book(s) was a crappy fantasy series of several books a year ago. I been trying to force myself to write but I have no interest partly because I think everything I write is trash.
ghodges137 chapter 15 . 11/11/2017
#perfectionist
Bob Story Builder chapter 14 . 11/7/2017
I like your story ideas and no shame being a sellout. I'd think we all do what we do to get ahead or get ourselves out there.
ghodges137 chapter 14 . 11/7/2017
This is about the best attempt to get around item #4D of the Terms of Use I can ever imagine - well done!
Phoenix O'Hara chapter 13 . 10/29/2017
hooooly shit okay so this chapter is so so so needed and i am so incredibly grateful to you for tackling this subject with your trademark intelligence, wit, and grace 3
ghodges137 chapter 12 . 10/29/2017
Ouch! I think I've got ~90% of Option #1 in the story I'm writing now (isn't that still worth an A, or an A-?). Oh well, at least my female protagonist has purple hair for over half of the story - purple hair for the win, right?
ghodges137 chapter 11 . 10/15/2017
Ah, she's back... edgy and sharp, but with a hint of genuine flavor for the tuned pallet. As always, a joy to read - thanks for posting.

Your post reminds me of the anecdotes of several famous writers who came to despise their greatest and most popular works (Arthur Conan Doyle and his Sherlock Holmes stories comes to mind). Personally, I have come to find that what is good isn't always popular, and what is popular isn't always good - but perhaps I have said that in a previous comment? I find that that only critic that really matters is myself - so long as I can write the story as I have intended, then those that enjoy the same may like it too.

Take care and thanks again, as always, for posting.
TVH Bookfan chapter 11 . 10/14/2017
I don't know how you'll feel about this, but I think it's sometimes okay for writers to humanize villains, whether in fanfiction or original work, so long as they still show how harmful their actions are towards others. I can understand why someone would be ashamed of doing this, and it really is best to carefully think over how you will use a character you don't already own, especially if they were as bad as this Death Note character seems to be (I haven't seen that anime yet, unfortunately). However, it's all a matter of making sure bad actions aren't justified. Constantly giving characters a mental illness just for the sake of adding something into the plot is certainly something problematic that I see in some fanfiction as well. Such issues should be explored throughout the story, not just brought up once or twice and then never discussed again until a character does something that's too outrageous to ever be seen in an actual individual with said disorder. Many writers make mistakes with accurate portrayals of any character. I know I have from time to time. It's all just a matter of making an effort to get that portrayal to come along in a respectful way.
As for success with stories on either of these two sites, it all seems a matter of exchange, especially on a site with as limited traffic as fictionpress has sometimes. You read and review someone's story, and the writer of the story responds back to you with a PM and hopefully a review of your own story if they feel like it. Some are lucky if they can get at least one review if they write a more complex and longer work, while other stories that are shorter and simpler have over a hundred reviews. I know that you sometimes want to read shorter work online than you normally would with a regular book, but you may miss out on some good stories if that's the way you approach all online stories. Now, let's hope that all writers who come across this will consider the advice you offer and make their own stories at least a little more readable and enjoyable than they may have been otherwise.
Applesawce chapter 11 . 10/10/2017
*slow claps*
I have...
Alot much more, respect for you, after reading this.
Bob Story Builder chapter 11 . 10/10/2017
I laughed at the euphemism "lightning creeper" because reminded me of this one thriller novel I've read that had the weirdest euphemisms for sex. The paragraph on LBTQIA is good reminder that people are people and not to emphasize some facet such as sexuality to make a plot or characterization go forward. In one story I'm writing, a minor plot point is a military officer who is lesbian who the protagonist unknowingly offends while insulting her in PTSD induced anger (he was also drunk, as drinking was for dealing with the stress of upcoming battle and just to cope with triggered trauma), so when she files a complaint against him for lewd misconduct she omits the part about insulting her orientation as she would be executed if her sexual orientation was learned.

As someone who has struggled with mental illness, I'm glad you realized that you contributed to the stigma rather than be realistic, which is what I try to do in my own writing. The want for attention I totally relate to and I pull myself out of that mindset by reminding myself I'm writing to see what happens to my protagonists at the end of their respective stories.
ghodges137 chapter 8 . 9/7/2017
This is a great article - sadly, there are people out there who really believe being LGBTQ is by definition abhorrent and a form of social/sexual deviance. I agree - it really does a disservice to perpetuate the myths surrounding people who identify in the LGBTQ community by writing bad fiction and posting it in the public sphere. Some have even been murdered because of their LGBTQ status - it's a real problem.

I am also seeing a theme in your advise: do your homework, research, and write about what you know. It's a crazy thought: if you want to write a good story, put some thought and effort into it!

Off-topic, I guess I really don't understand the buzzwords used these days. I thought "slash" referred to violent fiction and a "lemon" was just a badly written story. Imagine my surprise when I read my first stories that were labeled this way - the more you know...

Thanks again for the insights!
ghodges137 chapter 9 . 9/7/2017
This is funny, but so true! You can always tell if a romance was written by a guy because the leading lady tends towards a "fantasy girl" archetype. They are always gorgeous, and have hyperbolic personality traits (e.g. moody, abusive, subservient or insanely jealous).
noveltealover chapter 2 . 9/7/2017
Oh my gosh. I randomly stumbled across your profile and started reading this for fun and then my eye caught the name Raven of Blackbird Crew. I did a double take since that name seemed familiar. I think you might've reviewed one of my stories as a guest 2 yrs ago lool. I've actually only recently returned to FP in the past year or so though haha. But this writing guide has made me laugh out loud so far. xD This deserves a follow!
Melancholia2017 chapter 10 . 9/4/2017
No. 1 and 10, so damn true.

No. 6 and 11 had me rolling on the floor, laughing. The banana and the wedding ring. Priceless. By the way, I didnt know that the german "Bratwurst" is used as a slang. I only know "Wiener". However, its both disgusting.
Melancholia2017 chapter 9 . 9/4/2017
Amazing list, Marina. Youve covered all important issues, using some good humor as well, as in all of your chaps I enjoyed reading it.

As for the first group, topic No. 34, I want to add that most male readers may feel difficult about this. They like imagining thereselves as the hero whos gonna save the pretty little female, which of course must be weak and dependent ;)

Looking forward to more updates!
79 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »