Reviews for How to Be The Best (Internet) Writer In the World
Extra.Graphite chapter 1 . 8/28/2017
Hahahahahahaha wow I haven't had this good of a laugh in a while. I will be sure to use aaaaaalllllllllll of these in my future pieces of writing. xox
I Sink with the Ship chapter 10 . 8/28/2017
Regardless of how "serious" this has gotten, I still really enjoy these updates. They are helpful and often funny and topics like fridging /need/ to be discussed because it happens all too often.

It's nice to be able to identify with a character in a story. To see sex and women and the LGBTQIA community represented accurately.

I've quietly lurked on all the updates. Thanks for tackling the "difficult" subjects.
ghodges137 chapter 4 . 8/27/2017
"...And for the last time... NICE GUYS DO NOT FINISH LAST."

That's easy to say until you actually hear a girl turn a guy down - in public, and in front of his friends - because he's "too nice". True story.
ghodges137 chapter 3 . 8/27/2017
Wonderful tips LOL! I think you highlighted most of the popular shipping archetypes out there right now - and what went wrong with them. And yes, people need to do their research - a story that doesn't feel realistic will lose a critical audience.
ghodges137 chapter 2 . 8/22/2017
I thought this was Chapter 1... now it's Chapter 2? it's like The Maze Runner in prose. Still good, though.
RebekahFyre chapter 8 . 8/18/2017
hmmm... you have given me deep thoughts.
RebekahFyre chapter 7 . 8/18/2017
You're right, this one isn't sarcastic at all. It's a very well put together essay, and I like how you present the information. As I was reading this, I tried to think of media that I actually watch and see if it has fridging. Game of Thrones kind of does in some areas but not in others. Brienne of Tarth is supposed to be a brutish woman and one of the best fighters in the land. Arya is taught to put on faces and be anonymous, not pretty, in order to become an assassin. Sansa is definitely fridged.

And then there's Fairytale. Lucy is fridged constantly. Erza is strong and hot, so not.

I'm too tired to think deeper than that. Bleh.
ghodges137 chapter 7 . 8/18/2017
This is a very sober analysis and compilation on how female characters are often relegated to an underdeveloped support role in stories, where male characters tend to be considered the focus of the story's development. I like how you cited Sailor Moon as an example of trying to write a genuinely empowering female lead character, and how the genre got hijacked with later spin-offs. Although, I have to admit, I'm not very pleased that Usagi is also portrayed as a ditsy blond - even when she's saving the day (and still sometimes needs the help of Tuxedo Mask).

I think a concerning point here is the continued popularity of using plot tactics like fridging as a tool for character development in spite of having a more enlightened audience nowadays. Perhaps it is a "chicken-and-egg" problem, but I find that people are still willing to feed the beast with their patronage and continue the cycle of mediocre storytelling even after the Feminist movement. Anyone watching a Michael Bay movie for example will not find any real thought behind the (female) love interest character, or at best a watered-down attempt at developing a strong female lead as a human being (e.g. Mikaela Banes, the "love interest" in the Transformers movie). But yet these movies are still blockbusters, and people (including women) walk out of the theaters in droves, praising the film. Have we had so many stories like this that we have come to expect/prefer it? I remember an episode of Futurama where Fry explains why people liked watching "Single Female Lawyer" - people just want the same old story over and over again. I believe it's a central reason why Fan Fiction exists - to serve as an encore for what we liked in the original.

My personal theory is that, as a society, we have defined different ways to measure value in people based on their identified gender. The value of a girl is measured by her beauty; the value of guy is measured by his money, strength and power. You look around the world, and you often see women putting on makeup & pretty clothes to build self-esteem, and men lifting weights and getting rich to earn respect. These differences, I suspect, affect how we'd like our male and female protagonists to play out in a story. As a reader, do you rate a character's progress differently if they are identified as male or female (or seen as masculine or feminine)? How does the conversation change when the character (or even a real life person) changes gender? Try to define gender for yourself, and see where that alone takes you.

In the end, I find that popular stories are not always good, and good stories are not always popular. So long as there are people (gents and ladies) who will pay to see a story where a female needs a strong and resourceful male at some point to protect/vindicate/rescue her, the cycle of equating "female weak" and "male strong" will continue. Can a female character be written as girlie AND heroic without being comical or cliché? That's a challenge I still struggle with in my own modest efforts at writing fiction.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insight. Sorry for the long comment - I hope it makes sense.
RebekahFyre chapter 4 . 8/17/2017
I got this far in one read... after mostly skipping the fairy chapter on characters. I know you're giving sarcastic counter-examples, but it's really starting to grate on my nerves.
RebekahFyre chapter 1 . 8/17/2017
I only type using nine fingers...
That Random Fancy Touches paragraph almost made me throw up my cookie...
HOW'D YOU KNOW i HAVE A PADAWAN BRAID?!
Caroline Button chapter 9 . 8/14/2017
This advise is excellent. I was reworking some of my characters in my mind as I was reading it based on your points.
AJadePearl chapter 1 . 8/11/2017
I should rephrase myself. When I say "cheesy how-to", I mean an actual guide using cheesy examples. Like, the hot male love interest examples are cheesy, but they're showing you what not to do. Sorry for saying it in a way that sounds insulting to your story. I didn't have those intentions while reviewing.
AJadePearl chapter 9 . 8/11/2017
Hi!
I read your story and I enjoyed it. Most of the stuff I read, I've heard elsewhere so it was less of a learning experience for me than for other people.
The reason I continued to read was that it was funny to me. For the first few chapters, I snickered at your jokes.
I only have one real criticism.
It seemed at first that this story was going to be a comedic guide to writing cheesy stories and getting tons of views but then... the tone shifted. It went from something silly and teasing to more... well, to put it bluntly, political. I'm not going to say I was "offended" or whatever. I'm not going to say I disagree, because, in honest, I don't. But as you get deeper into the chapters, it feels like I'm reading a news article. It shifts from a cheesy how-to into something much more serious.
It's for this reason that I really couldn't stand reading it. I simply don't like serious, political reads. If I wanted something like how it ended up, I would go to CNN or Washington Post, not Fictionpress. If you intended it to be that way, then you're doing great. However, I would probably change the summary then. The summary makes it sound like a cheesy how-to when it ends up more political.
That being said, I really enjoyed it up until the Mary Sue chapter. Great work!
Phoenix O'Hara chapter 9 . 8/10/2017
yessssss i love love love this chapter good job !
The Treadler chapter 6 . 8/9/2017
This is a lot of fun and informative. It's very helpful, especially for a writing super-newby like me. If nothing else, it helps to be thinking about these things consciously rather than just arbitrarily trying to write a good story.
79 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »