Reviews for I Will Be Incandescence
MileyRowling chapter 1 . 3/21/2016
Nice work!
Emerald Viper chapter 1 . 3/13/2016
Ok, now this piece makes me think a bit of D.M. Cornish or a more refined version of those "Cinder" young adult books where Cinderella is a cyborg (this is a thing, I swear). There is a grim and gritty character to the world you build - - which, as comes up often on this forum - is something I am personally fond of. The world is very thoroughly constructed and at times I think I am missing references. It is not easy to write consistently in present tense (in my opinion) so kudos for undertaking something which suits this piece and keeping things polished. The protagonist is great.
AlysonSerenaStone chapter 1 . 3/6/2016
First person and present tense?! Yeah, you totally nailed that one! Add in some style points of writing and you have it. I really was amazed by how easy this was to read. To me, this is a sign of flawless writing and a great world building gift. Plus, it also helps that you had managed to create an entire story with a beginning, middle, and end in such few words.

I also liked that you kept to the fantasy world. Again, fantasy may not the be the most modern, but fairy tales are just supposed to be fantasy.

Great work and best of luck!
TanteLiz chapter 1 . 3/3/2016
Lovely take on the prompt, Solemn. You've drawn in the flavors of more than one tale, here, all with the common element of hope and compulsion.
Love the folk/non-folk premise. Piedmont - foot of the mountain - significant or a random choice? Doubt it - Piedmont's a long way from Hamelin, but Alemani is Germany...
Love the Miss Haversham drop-in, btw, but don't recognize the Arnault or Treaudeau references.
'I burn hope' - makes me think of Brandon Sanderson's metal magic (what was the name of that series, with the great first book that degenerated into total suck by the third?)
This could benefit from a few hundred more words (the scene shift are a little quick).
So tasty, stylistically - but then again, I'm a sucker for 1st person and present tense!
M. Forthe chapter 1 . 2/29/2016
This was such a fascinating read! I really enjoyed it! Your writing voice is so interesting and easy to read. You are an excellent story-teller.

Thanks for sharing!