Reviews for The FictionPress Review: A Case for Networking
Joker the prince of all crime chapter 1 . 4/23/2017
Hello! I totally agree with your sentiment. Because I am a very review loving person, when I first started writing I found myself discouraged by the lack of reviews, since then I have mellowed out about those and will be posting happily. Though I still definitely prefer FanFiction's use of the review system.
RowenasSon21 chapter 1 . 9/29/2016
Thank you for writing this! I agree completely, lots more people review on FanFiction for some reason than on FictionPress. I think it's because people don't really read on FictionPress like they do on FanFiction, but that's just me.
Wendy Thompson135th chapter 1 . 4/20/2016
incongruously -–Can you describe the incongruous behavior?

Therefore, I suggest that we make an effort to explore the genre headers for content that fits our specific niche interests. -the search function for STORIES includes a major category: From Action to Young Adult. Within each category is a FILTER option: it allows selection of two inclusive sub-genres and one exclusive sub-genre. You can select for Fantasy: Mystery, Action but NOT angst
Guest chapter 1 . 4/14/2016
In theory I agree with you, in practise it's a bit more complicated.

Firstly, the art of being a good reviewer requires a distinct yet equally difficult skillset to master as the art storytelling, and while we would all love to receive reviews examining how our stories best utilise social, psychological, political or any other concepts to illustrate its underlying construct, anyone who could review at that level probably already does - for Readers Digest, The Times reviews supplement and their ilk. Sadly all that most of us (myself included) know how to do when it comes to reviewing is variations of 'great story, please update'. I for one feel cheap giving reviews like that, so I shy away from them. I know I shouldn't, but I do.

Secondly, while I haven't personally seen this on Fictionpress I have seen it elsewhere on the internet, there are authors who's reaction to anything other than '11/10, you're a marvel' can put people off the very concept of reviewing altogether. So what happens is the reviewers form into unofficial cliques, only reviewing each others work since they don't have the energy to deal with the fallout that might come with reviewing anyone else's. If there's a way around this problem, I would love to know it, for this has been going on for a really long time now.

It would be great if there were more reviewers, but I do not see it as likely to happen.
Bob Story Builder chapter 1 . 4/10/2016
I agree. I get views but no reviews. My rule is to always review what I read and be constructive if I can. Your argument about networking is something that I have not thought of so thank you for new things to think about.
Electra001 chapter 1 . 4/8/2016
Excellent written piece. I agree with what you said about networking. As a new writer to this site I will keep your comments in mind.