Reviews for There's Light at the Bottom of Every Well
Rebecca Roy chapter 3 . 5/2/2018
Interesting, and my grandfather volunteered to serve in the Navy (US of course) just before WWII broke out. The instructors did everything to let him know he was not wanted (he was for the day and age too short though on paper he was not and everyone knew it), but he not only passed he did so with flying colors.
ScarletD chapter 11 . 9/13/2016
Wow! Well this certainly has taken a turn. I like it. Based on you're writing through-out, it is clear that you have a good amount of history and military knowledge (you've especially shown that in this specific chapter) and I think you can pull it off. This change has thickened the plot quite a lot and I'm interested to see how you develop these new characters. And I'm waiting in suspense to figure out who the mole was. :)

"A blood bath would be far too much paper work for her." :P I adore this and the other little bits of humor you throw in here and there. I also like how Grant and Taffy's feelings for each other are like a poorly kept secret. The development of their relationship has been done very well. Their friendly and teasing dynamic that frequently crosses the line into flirtation is done carefully, which makes it much more realistic and exciting to watch. I can't wait for them both to crack. :P

There is one thing I've noticed that you do occasionally that could improve. "'You probably deserve whatever assignment they're giving you.' They must have known each other well." This is telling instead of showing. I think you should take the observation out and let the reader draw the conclusion.

Anyway, I'm very excited to see where you take this! You're doing a great job, this chapter is a testament to that. And thank you very much for the shout-out! :D
ScarletD chapter 10 . 9/6/2016
It's interesting to see what thoughts he decides to relay to Daisy. It gives some insight into who he is as a person. Anyway, very excited for the next chapter, hopefully soon we get some answers regarding the mole :)
ScarletD chapter 9 . 9/6/2016
Excellent chapter, for so many reasons. Everything played out very well, good descriptions and characterization (mainly through dialogue and Agent Ward's expressions) and a story line that had me on the edge of my seat. Believable first assignment as well as good execution which lead to a very exciting action scene. Not to mention Taffy's sexuality being spoken about openly for the first time. The subtle (and not so subtle) hints have all led up to this. And now I'm left with some questions! I can't wait to see what you've come up with next!
ScarletD chapter 8 . 9/4/2016
Poor Daisy and her terrible cooking :P
ScarletD chapter 7 . 9/4/2016
"They came out looking like a stage rendition of a psychotropic drugs experience." :D I love the humor you add to the story, especially in this chapter. There were definitely some clever lines here.
I also liked the bit about the Colonel keeping a straight face, despite that fact that he appears to have found the situation funny as well. I hope all the "in the closet", talk is foreshadowing :P
Guest chapter 9 . 9/1/2016
Love it! What happens next?
ScarletD chapter 6 . 8/31/2016
Solid chapter, on to the next :)
ScarletD chapter 5 . 8/31/2016
"The rosy fingers of the sunrise touched Taffy's face." Love this line, such a poetic description. I also liked seeing the development of Taffy and Grants friendship. I'm excited to see where everything leads :)
ScarletD chapter 4 . 8/25/2016
The letters to Daisy are a great way to relay some plot without actually having to play everything out, as it offers a nice little synopsis. I think it would be a good idea if you could maybe show her responses? :)
ScarletD chapter 3 . 8/25/2016
Interesting turn! The descriptions/dialogue for Agent Ward showed her character well, especially when Taffy note that she looked like "a women whose mere expression dared him to imply that she did not belong here." Great personality reveal, presents her as a strong and capable person, despite adversary. One word of advice, I feel that you should make your chapters a bit longer. :)
ScarletD chapter 2 . 8/25/2016
Good historical details (Queen Elizabeth ship/progression of the poor treatment of the Jews).
Onto the next chapter!
ScarletD chapter 1 . 8/25/2016
Good start, very interesting premise so far. The narration and little bits of detail grabbed my attention straight away. I could see it all unfolding in my head. I enjoyed the humor as well, especially when Taffy crossed himself in the face of his sisters furry :)
The relationship between Hiram and Taffy is definitely reminiscent of the relationship between Bucky and Captain America, which is a great plus :)
Good work, I'm excited to read more!