Reviews for Gunpowder and Lead
Julietish chapter 1 . 7/11/2016
Congratulations! Your entry won for the SC Round 13 contest (museum) prompt. This story certainly had many, many unexpected twists. The use of flashbacks was a very useful device here; it created two simultaneous stories that lead to a cohesive, satisfying resolution. I also really appreciated the vindictiveness of Bella. Carson was a very caring soul (who doesn't like that?), very different from Alex and his griminess. Finally, I enjoyed how you explained the title of the story at the very end, along with the inclusion of the prompt.

I thought I could also point out some typos-in the line in which you talk about a wine opener, you spell it "whine opener," and at the end of the story, you misspelled "duel" as "dual."

Thank you so much for participating and I hope you to see more of your entries in the future!
The Gone Angel chapter 1 . 6/24/2016
I liked the premise of this. It was interesting how Bella decided to take a completely different route to her boyfriend's abuse. However, I felt like Carson was kind of... I don't know, but he seemed too supportive of her /killing/ someone. Beating someone up in return is one thing, but killing is much more extreme even though Alex is a major douchebag with some dumb logic from the past about women being submissive and only for a man's pleasure. I feel like Bella and Carson could have shown a little more remorse for killing a human being, especially Carson. He's all like, yeah, babe, he totally deserved to die and you're doing the right thing.

Needless to say, if my girlfriend talked about killing someone who hurt her, I'd be a little more freaked out than Carson was. Then again, I do understand that Alex was an important figure in the small town so it would be harder to report him for abuse, but I feel like Bella never even thought of that option or ignored it because she thought it was the 'weak' thing to do when in actuality, it's a sign of strength.

*coughs* Sorry for my massive rant. I feel like a bitch now, so I'm going to say some things I liked. I enjoyed the switches from then and now, and I like how you didn't write too much about Bella and Carson's romantic relationship and making it all sappy and stuff. It was just that one kissing scene and other subtle things along the way that show a change in their relationship. It was nice.

Also, the story was very action-packed and that made it very enjoyable. :)

Cheers,
Gone
MileyRowling chapter 1 . 6/23/2016
Well, now! There's one way to handle the problem!