Reviews for The Up and Up
Sabrina Jennings chapter 11 . 8/16/2016
AbeLincolnLover
Hello, and first off thank you for reading my story and for reviewing! It's always nice to know what the reader is thinking! I'm always happy to answer questions about my work.

I'll tell you straight up that Don Lang is not Catholic and neither am I, so, I freely admit that I am not at all familiar with Catholic dogma. However, I can tell you that what I have paraphrased as what you called "the "there's evil in everyone" thing", what is theologically termed the total depravity of mankind is a fact clearly and openly discussed in the Bible. The base of this is that when man fell in original sin, all of the human race became sinful. Nothing we can do will ever change that fact. The only way for our standing to be rectified before God is for us to repent and trust Jesus Christ alone for our salvation. For the sake of space, I'm only going to include one Scripture reference in addition to what I've quoted within the story, but I am always happy to provide more. The following are the first three verses of Psalm 53
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good. God looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, that did seek God. Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

As far as the legal situation goes, when I began this project about a year ago it was intended to be something of a satire, not quite a serious account of realistic events, but this is definitely something I can see happening 10-20 years from now. That being said, "proselytizing" is not technically a crime in most places in the US yet, but there are ways that a parent could complain about strangers soliciting conversations with minor children. Besides, we won't know if a crime has been committed until the trial ;)
Abe Lincoln Lover chapter 11 . 8/15/2016
I like the points that you're getting across. I just have a couple questions... 1) Is proselytizing really a crime? If so, I wasn't aware of that. 2) Why is everyone up in arms about the whole proselytizing thing? That happens all the time I thought? 3) Why type of Christian are we dealing with in this story? Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, what? Because I'm Catholic and so some of the statements are a little weird... like I'm pretty sure the "there's evil in everyone" thing isn't really dogma, but more of a philosophy that priests study in the seminary... I'm going to be real honest here, though, and admit that I'm not the best Catholic in the world, and I'm also terrible with law, so I'm not trying to accuse you of getting anything wrong, I'm just trying to ease my confusion.