Reviews for The Glam
SkittleSwagga chapter 1 . 8/16/2016
The following review is based upon the facts and assumptions that (a) this story is about a young woman who uses an app to disguise her physical appearance while on a date, (b) this story is meant to entertain through romance and science fiction, and (c) this story is meant to be read by your fellow members of Fictionpress. I am only an avid reader with no writing skills of his own, so take all I say with several bricks of salt.

Synopsis: Glam - an app created for military purposes that somehow bends light to fool the viewer about your true appearance, is being used by our main character Jordie and her friend for a goof. During the course of such, Jordie catches the eye of the suave, old-fashioned young professor Preston Ayre, who gets her to agree out on a date with him. Having secured the date as a result of the glam, Jordie again wears the Glam out on the date, only to ultimately get busted and dumped. She discovers along with Lio, inventor of the Glam, that the 'young' Mr. Ayre is in fact a hypocrite, having used the app or similar to disguise his true elderliness, and Lio helps Jordie discover that she was beautiful all along.

Review: While there is something trite about the 'you were beautiful all along' trope and the plot is somewhat flat and predictable, the author nevertheless weaves a fun, well-written little pop sci-fi piece. Most of the futuristic colloquialisms have Zenon-esque feel (growing up Disney) that are cute, the subject matter is pretty thought-provoking, if only superficially explored, and the characters are all fully realized.

I would have liked for Preston to really vocalize his feelings at the climactic moment of the story when he discovers Jordie's secret. Yes, he reacts accordingly shocked, but the moment would have had more gravitas if he had spoken aloud how he had felt to discover that Jordie was using the app, and would have given even more gravitas to his hypocrisy.

I enjoyed being able to identify the different personality traits of the main characters based on their actions and thoughts, something that I often see get neglected in short stories. Monique is a fiercely loyal friend; she is disappointed at the interruption of her dinner with Jordie but downplays it so as not to 'cockblock', as it were, and she abuses Preston for his treatment of Jordie and chastises Lio for implying that Jordie deserved what she got, despite her dubious choice to deceive Preston. Lio never pulls any punches when he speaks. When you find out that Preston is an old fogey seen through a young-man filter, all his previous choices and mannerisms make perfect sense.

All in all, it was an airy, cute sci-fi piece that could have done more with its topic but was still well-written and fun to read nevertgeless.