Reviews for Understanding the Dance
zanybellecloudo chapter 1 . 9/9/2016
It was really interesting to hear your experiences of the dance, which is extremely difficult to perform and requires a great deal of skill. It also tells of how we never know everything amazing about our friends and loved ones, and how they can never fail to surprise us and achieve great things. It is wonderful to be there and support them and show we care. Even if the world is very different and cultures, views and people vary , that is exactly what makes humans so memorizing and beautiful. This was a nice story to read. Thanks for sharing, ZB.
Sally chapter 1 . 9/7/2016
I also have fascination with Indian classical as I am South Asian myself. However, not the culture here much.
You discreetly showed the beauty and understanding art conveys without any need for language, and that's fine, although I would have liked it much better if you'd explained after researching the significance of flowers in the particular dance.
Anyway, real nice attempt. I wish my friend wrote a story for or about me. XD your friend is one lucky gal.

P.S. You play harmonica real well.
SovietSpaceDog chapter 1 . 9/6/2016
This is really great - I know you usually write battles and stuff but this has got to be my favourite piece by you so far; it's really heartfelt, touching and honest.
Wish I'd read it sooner.
RosesAndWriting chapter 1 . 8/27/2016
This was so beautifully written Brady, the tone really seeped through and I really felt it. It was real. I hope your best friend has this printed out and on her wall.
alltheeagles chapter 1 . 8/27/2016
What's cool about your stories is that they're inspired by real life, and real life is always the best and only source of stories - we tell stories all the time, and indeed, our entire lives is one long story, to make of it a happy or sad one is largely in our hands.

I particularly like that moment of understanding, when the dance transcends all the language barriers to touch the protagonist at the deepest layer that doesn't need words but is raw emotion. And yeah, it's so typical of a guy to pretend not to be touched because guys can't cry in public, can they, oh no no no... :P

Incidentally, I do know a little about Indian dance, and while you have some details here I think you could embellish it even more by mentioning one or two little things like the hand gestures that mean different things, or how even the exaggerated facial expressions convey a message.
Crescent Moon Dancer chapter 1 . 8/25/2016
I wish I could have been there to see her performance, she sounds so beautiful and talented. :) You captured the emotion and magic so spectacularly, reading about it was definitely the second best thing to seeing it in person. :) It sounds like it was a wonderful night.