Reviews for Here For The Girls
SnowingCrystals chapter 2 . 4/30
This is really interesting!
Inkyllama chapter 59 . 1/20
Alright, I am so giving Timeless another go. I was down with it for the enemies-to-lovers trope (and wow, 'actually I met the enemy and he was very polite' in the Hindenburg episode was gold), however from only watching the first three episodes, I was worried that the tone of the show would lean towards jingoism with regards to American history. It's actually super refreshing to find a time travel series that breaks out of 'save the history' to bravely go towards 'actually with hindsight we can totally do better'. I personally haven't seen other time travel stories that do that, and maybe it's come as Western society is starting to confront the damage of colonialism, but I'm going to keep watching this show.
GirlofBluefire chapter 47 . 1/19
An absolutely beautiful essay. Labyrinth is one of my favourite films and yet you've caused me to see something new in it. Bravo! I loved the Jane Foster and Legend essays too.
Giang Tien chapter 56 . 9/8/2019
i am definitely going to reread this again this essay perfectly encapsulates why i love del toro and crimson peak so much
Inkyllama chapter 56 . 9/7/2019
I remember going to see Pan's Labyrinth; we went as a group expecting a sumptuous fairytale story and got all that and a guy getting his face smashed in with the blunt end of a wine bottle. The fact that del Toro couldn't finish his Hellboy trilogy gives me a pain right up there with Firefly.

I didn't realise it until you pointed it out, but you're so right about del Toro giving glimpses of the characters in their off-hours. Like Nuada sitting in some non-combat robes tinkering with the forest-god-bean mechanism and being told that his friend had been killed by Hellboy and being devastated. And that amazing training montage.

I didn't get much out of Alice in Wonderland, but I saw Mia Wasikowska in Stoker and she was amazing. And if Jessica Chastain is in a movie, I will see it. And if Tom Hiddleston is in a movie I will see it and craft several other plausible excuses as to why I'm watching it.

I agree that the variety of love and relationship types shown in the movie was wonderfully refreshing. Genuine friendships, a happy and healthy parent-child relationship. And again, your analysis of the characters adds layers of 'ooh, THAT'S why that was awesome!' is brilliant. Crimson Peak was a wonderful movie and I'm going to see it again armed with all this fresh insight. Awesome write-up!
Giang Tien chapter 54 . 7/13/2019
UGH i love this one! i grew up with ever after and it was suchhh a good movie and one of my favorite cinderella retellings, danielle is such an icon
iinkyllama chapter 54 . 7/1/2019
Holy wow, thank you! In amazing coincidence, I ended up watching this last night after I found out that I hadn't yet inflicted this movie on my husband. Again, the analysis of your essay connects so many points that I hadn't considered to add a whole other layer of appreciation for the film and its writing. I agree that having the heroine well-versed in literature of the time is something that more movies and stories should do.

Thank you again for this!
iinkyllama chapter 50 . 6/29/2019
This article about the Handmaid’s Tale was so well-written and inspiring and refreshingly hopeful. Thank you.
iinkyllama chapter 43 . 6/29/2019
Thank you, so much truth about Katara and the struggles of being the mom-friend
iinkyllama chapter 33 . 6/29/2019
I really love your list of what makes a well-rendered character. Honestly, I’m learning so much from all this analysis and it’s like the best part of fandom; brilliant, in-depth analyses of things that I love about my favourite stories, from someone with the eyes to see deeper and the words to articulate better than I ever could. It’s like being given glasses to see the media more clearly, and being freshly delighted by all these new details I hadn’t noticed before. Thank you for this. And honestly, if you have time for a book, I would thoroughly recommend Cordelia’s Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold, when it comes to a well-rendered character. Cordelia is one of my favourite characters ever.
iinkyllama chapter 32 . 6/29/2019
I need to rewatch that movie, it has been a while! The ending was amazing, though, and I did like how the ridiculous addition of the unnecessary chair was given very little attention when it failed completely. I had not considered the importance of atheism in that movie. I wonder if agnosticism could also be considered a faith; a faith in that the answer is unknowable.
iinkyllama chapter 27 . 6/29/2019
Yes! Evelyn is just the absolute best. I loved how when she was manacled to the sacrificial slab and Imhotep was advancing on Jonathan, she was shouting out instructions for Jonathan to get the key. Imhotep didn’t seem at all bothered by this, of course he couldn’t understand her, but I’ve got to wonder if he wrote her shouts off as ‘please save me’ rather than ‘pick-pocket him, idiot, the off-switch is in that book!’
iinkyllama chapter 19 . 6/29/2019
Okay, I have to find and watch this version of Cinderella! I would love to hear your thoughts on the Ever After adaptation!
iinkyllama chapter 14 . 6/29/2019
We grew up watching the BBC miniseries, watching it so many times that I have Mrs Bennett’s shrill ‘Oh Mr Bennett!’ tattooed into my brain, and happily so. And every time I think about the guts it must have taken for Elizabeth to reject that proposal, every time it just blows me away even further. I can’t even comprehend just how much she put on the line there, and I admire her for it because I know I wouldn’t have the stones to do so. That being said, Charlotte Lucas’ path was terrifying. It always looked to me like a kind of death of personality, for Charlotte to fold herself inwards until she fit behind a non-descript smile inside a small room. And then there’s Elizabeth, with death from poverty on one hand and death from being stuffed into a loveless marriage on the other hand and just standing up to it all.

Sorry, that turned into a rant. I’m still hugely enjoying all of these articles. You have given me a new appreciation for Martha and Kala!
iinkyllama chapter 10 . 6/29/2019
First of all this series of articles is amazing, bringing back so many solid female characters that I remember loving and articulating through so many nuances that I never fully appreciated. And for all the characters I’m not familiar with... these are all going on the to-consume list. I remember enjoying Ugly Betty but I never appreciated how important the messages from that show were about navigating the modern world. I’m certainly appreciating it more now as I quit postdoc work and find a different direction for my life to go in, phew.

Also thank you so much for writing about Angela Burr. I, too, was drawn by the promise of gratuitous Hiddlesworth (unfortunately us girls were watching that episode during lunch in a postgraduate office and had to awkwardly hide the screen from the rest of the physicists until pants were back on), and Angela Burr was an understated revolution. She was pregnant, on a TV show, and still a person rather than a prop. Her pregnancy was never a problem or the single defining attribute of her character, and she was amazing and I’m go glad that you reminded me of this!