Reviews for From Heaven's Door
C. Jarman chapter 1 . 5/29/2019
One of the best stories I've ever read. So much suspense, drama, and comedy.

The characters were amazing too. Tango was an interesting protagonist, from their random obsession with the fruit loops mascot and a key, to how violent they can be to those who threaten their friends. Despite not being able to say much, you can tell they're someone you can depend on when the going gets tough. Their conversation with their father was also a satisfying conclusion to their identity crisis. Mint was absolutely adorable, and their friendship with Tango positively heart melting, and the last few chapters made it clear they would do anything for the friend they've known for a few days. Darby and Lavender were awesome too, with their snark and the way they dote on Mint and Tango, while also expressing uncertainty about their own characters and identities. Jilton was hilarious, with her random pop culture references and puns, and I admired how she undid Chaynes plan at the last minute through sheer intellect.

The villains were interesting too. Red Clover are a ruthless bunch, but are as human as any of us. Charles is a man who genuinely believed in the 'greater good,' but is also a broken, remorseful man who would do anything to give his daughters life back, but knows things wouldn't be the same even if he could. Chayne is the personification of misanthropy, and is ambitious and cunning, and could send a chill down your spine through a single look. But at the same time, it's hard not to feel pity for her once you learn what happened to her daughter, and it's easy to understand why she would despise humanity so much, even if her way of coping with the grief is unhealthy. It's obvious the author wrote Ash from the ground up to be as despicable as possible, and he succeeded. What he did to Tango, along with his hedonism and his desire to hurt everyone around him, makes him the most loathsome bastard in the story, and a disturbingly realistic villain that you do not want to meet in person.

The details about Heaven and God were bone chilling. The idea that such an incomprehensible entity could exist in the universe can make anyone question their significance in such a vast universe. Lovecraft would approve of this mans work.
John Spangler chapter 21 . 2/19/2018
Hello, I've just finished reading the first story of this series, and let me tell you, it's amazing. Some chapters need a little editing, but aside from this the story is perfect. A terrific tale of human greed and will to live, mixed with a healthy dose of cosmic horror. Really well done. Now I'm gonna read the other parts, too. See you soon!
AlternatingCurrent chapter 2 . 3/29/2017
The humor inserted with Toucan Sam was great, especially when the protagonist shows him all the doors in the hallway. It added layers to a tense situation. I also enjoyed the inclusion of a pop song that gets stuck in the protagonist's head. It makes it all the more frustrating that they can't remember their own name.

Why can't the protagonist tell whether they are male or female? Do they have no defining features on their body at all?

The descriptors "generic-ass" and "shabby-ass" are used very close together. I would suggest taking one "ass" out or moving them farther apart in the descriptions.

Starting a story with someone with amnesia can be hard to do well, but I think you accomplished that here. Strong start!