Reviews for Competence
shika-paprika chapter 26 . 7/1
Nice to see that Melanie is a little more trusting of Colleen and Quinten. At least, she's more willing to be understanding than her mother, which is why I like her a little more than Isabella. The idea of people with health issues treating disabled people poorly is interesting. While I don't agree with it, it makes sense that they find solace in ridiculing people who seem to have it worse than them. So, that being said, I don't have much sympathy for Mr. Lockwood after seeing how little he thinks of Raina.
shika-paprika chapter 25 . 5/30
Yep, this chapter basically confirms that Melanie is Isabella's daughter, always nagging and bossing Raina around. But unlike Isabella, I feel she's just being watchful of her sister as opposed to being ignorant and close-minded. Mr. Lockwood seems like an interesting character after learning that you can also be considered an incompetent by having diabetes. You learn more about how Elms' society is as the story goes on, which is probably one of the best things about this story.
shika-paprika chapter 24 . 5/2
Interesting chapter with Colleen and Quinten but no offense, I'm a little more interested in what's going to happen with Raina. And when they talked about how Isabella might react to Raina's condition, it just reconfirmed how fearful I am for her.
shika-paprika chapter 23 . 4/1
So this is an interesting turn of events. It's nice that Raina finally got around to explaining her new abilities to Melanie, but I don't understand how she's starting to become "autistic" because of them. And I'm not autistic myself, so forgive me if I sound ignorant, but I'm already worried about how Isabella and Kevin(especially, Kevin) will respond to this.
shika-paprika chapter 22 . 3/1
Once again, Vincent continues to be the best character in the story with his kindness. The little moments he has with Raina are just adorable and are honestly a treat to read in the midst of all the madness. Speaking of madness, Raina and Quinten's interaction was interesting, especially near the end.
shika-paprika chapter 21 . 1/25
So I don't like how in the beginning Cordelia tried to make Raina feel guilty by saying how the incident made her feel awful. Almost like she blamed her for something that wasn't her fault and she had no control over. But I do like how she told off Kevin though, so she gained a little respect from me with that.
shika-paprika chapter 20 . 1/1
Not sure if I like Cordelia, she's seems a little too uptight for me. But then again, that's probably normal for a music teacher. I just hope that Raina's okay after that sudden incident, must be pretty alarming for a blind person to suddenly gain the ability to see. It's hard to not feel sorry and scared for her at that moment.
shika-paprika chapter 19 . 12/15/2019
Colleen, Quinten, and Rodney seem like an interesting group, but I'm more interested to see what's going on with Raina, to be honest. Just from hearing about her cute interaction with Melanie, it's further proof that Isabella and Kevin are wrong trying to dictate their relationship. They have a very special sibling bond and for them to ruin it because of Raina's disability is unacceptable.
shika-paprika chapter 18 . 12/1/2019
I'll be honest, I forgot all about Colleen and Quinten by the time I read this. But it's still nice to get a little more insight about them, though Colleen sort of comes off as a stalker when she mentioned she's always been after Raina and her peers. Quinten seems like an interesting character himself and what exactly is going on with Rodney? Anyway, good work as always.
shika-paprika chapter 17 . 11/1/2019
"Dad says alcohol turns competent people into morons!" Well, you're still an ignorant moron with or without alcohol. Why can't the disabled characters get a break? But I will say, after getting frustrated with what happened in the last couple chapters, having Vincent return was a breath of fresh air. That moment where he was comforting Raina was adorable, they both don't deserve to be treated poorly by Isabella.
shika-paprika chapter 16 . 10/24/2019
So it was Kevin who decided to dictate the relationship Raina and Melanie should have, why am I not surprised? And the fact that Isabella just agreed with him, like she didn't fight to have custody of Raina, makes me have even less respect for her. I knew that any respect I've gained for her wouldn't last long. Hopefully, she'll try to redeem herself later in the story. As for Raina and Melanie, I really feel sorry for them. Imagine having parents who are so ignorant towards the disabled that they're willing to discourage their children's' relationship.
shika-paprika chapter 15 . 9/30/2019
It's hard to not feel sorry for Raina. She's only a child and she's already dealing with problems due to her disability. It's sad that people like Isabella and the server from the cafe are too ignorant to see that she's as human as they are, it's not like she doesn't have her own thoughts and feelings. Also, nice to get a little insight on her abilities.
shika-paprika chapter 14 . 8/31/2019
Welp, I'm starting to dislike Isabella again. I can understand she's a parent and she's obviously concerned about her children, but who is she to control Melanie and Raina's relationship? Whether that has to do with society or her own personal beliefs, it's cruel of her to try to tear apart their relationship and I can't imagine why any mother would think that's okay. But on the plus side, it's great to hear from Vincent again and to see that he learned to control his stuttering for the most part.
shika-paprika chapter 13 . 7/25/2019
And to think I would go this long without seeing another ignorant jerk in this story. Despite having such a dramatic reaction to the man in the wheelchair, he deserved to be scolded by him. Now, I'm curious to learn more about the incompetents' special abilities, especially Raina's.
shika-paprika chapter 12 . 7/1/2019
Well, Raina's definitely matured into a young woman. Interesting how a few words from Melanie and Evelyn(who should be ashamed of herself for saying Raina will never be "normal."), changed her into this anxious, but driven person who feels the need to prove herself. Here's hoping that things go well at the concert. I don't have any critiques, so nice work as always.
72 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »