Reviews for Competence
KoscheiTepes chapter 25 . 2/27
Why do I get the feeling that Melanie has this whole secret life that no one else knows about? She certainly seems to have put a lot of thought in how to sneak out at night anyway. A little too much thought maybe. It would certainly make for an interesting chapter sometime anyway if I'm right. I really loved the banter between Melanie and Raina in this chapter by the way. Things are finally back to normal between them again and I couldn't be happier. It's also nice to see Raina getting to finally appreciate everything that Melanie has always taken for granted. She always seems to be noticing the prejudice around her far more intently lately as well which is a bad thing for Mr. Lockwood if she is causing him to become sick as a result. I can't blame her for being angry but I hope she won't go too far in her negative feelings towards competents even if it is justified. Otherwise she might just become the Magneto of this story, and I'd really rather not have that happen to her. She did have some interesting thoughts about the thin line separating her from him though. If things had gone just a bit differently for him, he could have easily been in the same boat as her. It makes me wonder if that's why his daughter at least tolerates incompetents because she's already realized that for herself and is somewhat sympathetic to them at least as a result. And now finally we have Quinten and Colleen about to take Raina into the team at last! Or at least I hope it will go as smoothly as it seems to be so far anyway since I doubt that Melanie is going to object too much to her leaving with them once she finds out who they are. Hopefully it really will be this easy for Raina to join the others next time and the team can finally be complete at last. I especially look forward to seeing how Colleen and Raina get along and if they like one another at first sight or not. I have a feeling they will. Try not to get too jealous, Melanie. She still loves you.
KoscheiTepes chapter 24 . 1/24
Colleen is quickly starting to become my favorite character in this story right now. At the moment she's right after Raina and Melanie and threatening to hit the number one spot very soon. I can't help but love her and her can do attitude. She never lets anything get her down for long and she's always ready to fight for her family no matter what the odds might be against her. Plus who wouldn't love someone who carries a ninja sword around with her just in case. I'm kind of torn right now because part of me wants her to use that sword on her rescue mission so badly so that she can finally show the world her mad skills and another part wants the whole thing to go well for Raina's sake. I kind of think this whole mission is for nothing though because I could never see the Powells doing something like that to Raina. Well, Kevin would in a heartbeat but not the others. It's a good reason to finally get Quinten to bring her into the team though so it really doesn't matter to me too much because he has no way of knowing what they'll do. I hope once they get there that Melanie will quickly realize what's happening and just tell them to take Raina with them so there won't be any problems. Then she could quietly stay in touch with them to make sure that Raina is okay but not really tell her parents the whole truth. That's how I want it to go for Raina's sake but I also love the idea of Colleen putting the fear of the Ninja Turtles in some poor hapless guards too. That image just makes me smile so much. Go get 'em, Colleen! Either way will be fine with me as long as Raina is okay at the end of it all. That whole conversation between Dr. Newman and Quinten's parents was just so horrifying by the way and really drove home exactly how evil some people truly are in Elms that they would willingly do that to their own children. Dr. Newman truly is a hero and I was so glad that he saved Quinten from what would have been a very short and painful life. Now I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be one of the team's ongoing missions in the future and they're going to be rescuing other children in the same way that Quinten was rescued. I certainly can't think of a more noble cause for them to undertake. I can't wait to see how things go next time and if Colleen gets to show everyone why you don't ever mess with her if you value your continuing existence. That would be so amazing. Even if it doesn't happen next time I hope it'll happen eventually anyway. It's just too good a scene to pass up in my opinion.
shika-paprika chapter 3 . 1/19
Well, I already found another character I'm not too fond of and that's Isabella. Good thing her daughter doesn't share her ill-mannered personality. Though, I have a feeling she might later on. Not much to say about this chapter since it basically introduced Isabella who, despite her terrible attitude, is a very contributing person to society. Here's hoping that she won't completely tear Vincent apart in the next chapter.
crankshaft7 chapter 1 . 1/15
I just finished ch1 and so far it seems to be a complete reversal of the way reality has been going up until maybe the last year. It has been the truck idiots of society that have been calling the shots and getting all the attention while the "competent" of society are left to be the servants and fit the bill for their upkeep.
It is a very practical and Nichian way of dealing with those who may seem beneath you. Just like a child would keep fireflies in a jar or tear the legs off a daddy long legs spider or even the way a housewife would poison cockroaches not out of spite but simply to eliminate a perceived neucence. Now in a world devoid of God and his principals, such a world is an inevitability. Junk science perpetuates such fallacy and crams us and our children full of rediculous lies of "survival of the fittest" and "as evolved being we rule or can destroy those beneath us at our whim".
While one can see value in such a person as Vincent only for exploitive purposes it takes wisdom that transcends the human condition to realize that such a one is actually an equal. The question is will you eat what you are force-fed like it the best thing in the world or will you go out on a limb an consider the possibility of something far greater than what you can see, touch, taste, hear and smell.
Ok ill quit ranting lol
KoscheiTepes chapter 23 . 1/7
So it seems to be confirmed now once and for all. The price for everyone going through readjustment is to temporarily trade one disability for another. It's still very good news that Raina was finally able to see what Melanie and Vincent looked like for the first time though and I'm so glad that Melanie let down her walls long enough to allow her to share it with her. Part of me understands why Melanie is telling her that she needs to stay somewhere else because this probably wouldn't go down too well with the regular people of Elms if they found out about it. The other part of me though sees it as yet another example of her slowly pushing her out of her life completely just as Raina fears. I honestly do believe that Melanie thinks she's doing the right thing for Raina and isn't trying to be selfish in any way but she still might wind up losing Melanie for good if she isn't careful in how she handles things. At the moment though I think they're still as much BFFs as they ever were judging by this last conversation and I'm glad that it was Melanie that Raina talked to instead of someone else. That felt right somehow since she's probably closer to her than anyone. That having been said however the door is firmly open for Raina to join Quinten and the others now after she stays with Cordelia for a while. In fact Melanie will probably be all for it if she ever finds out about Quinten I bet. We're one step closer to Raina joining Quinten's X-Men now and I couldn't be happier. I can't wait for Raina to finally meet Colleen at last and to have Melanie become insanely jealous as a result. That might not happen but somehow I love the idea of Melanie finally realizing just how she feels about Raina at last if she thinks that she might lose her and this causes her to rethink a few things. As it is though at least Melanie finally realizes that she hasn't been treating Raina well lately and that it's been upsetting her so I'm certainly glad about that.
KoscheiTepes chapter 22 . 12/21/2017
Yes! Quinten finally told Raina about his team at last. I love how excited she became and how she was almost fangirling over how SciFi the whole situation is. I can't wait for her to meet Colleen next because I bet those two are going to become inseparable right from the start. Raina may still be a bit bothered at first by the fact that Colleen already knows so much about her and has been spying on her for so long, but I think she'll get over it very quickly once she realizes that Colleen doesn't have a devious bone in her body. I really like the idea of Raina finally having a best friend (I'm sure that's what they'll become) especially now that Melanie is acting worse towards her than ever. Yeah, I know that she has a lot to deal with right not but that's no excuse to not even say hello. If she can still speak to Vincent every day then she can definitely spare a moment or two out of her busy schedule to talk to Raina. I'm starting to wonder if she's cutting herself off from her completely because it hurts so much not to talk to her that even speaking to her a little just makes things even worse for her. Or at least that's what I'd like to think anyway. I'm so glad that she still has Vincent around anyway because he's been so great with her. He may not always know what to say to her but he always has her back and that's what matters the most. I really loved their scenes together in this chapter and how extra sweet he's being towards her in order to make up for Melanie ignoring her. Or maybe he's just always like this. Either way I love seeing how he's basically become her father or at least the closest thing to a father that she's ever had anyway. I honestly doubt he could love her more if he was her father and his devotion to her is very touching. I really hope that he gets asked to join Quinten's group as well or at least meets with them from time to time anyway. I hope that in the next chapter that Raina finally gets to meet Colleen or at least gets to see her in a vision anyway. I can't wait to see them together because I just know that they're going to love one another right from the start. Maybe Melanie will find out that Raina has a new friend and will start to become jealous. That might actually make her wake up and realize what she's doing. I certainly hope so anyway.
KoscheiTepes chapter 21 . 12/2/2017
Based on that last line I'm starting to wonder if Cordelia is going to be the one who will finally bring Colleen and Raina together. I certainly hope so since Raina could definitely use someone with a common frame of reference to talk to about what she's going through right now. I love Cordelia more and more each chapter by the way and I'm so glad that someone understanding and sympathetic like her is Raina's teacher. I'm sure most people in Elms would have gladly gotten Raina in trouble by spreading the news about what happened to everyone that they knew if they had been in her shoes. Elms' love of Jane Austen's books is certainly becoming clearer and clearer to me over time especially after finding how they deal with someone who tries to better themselves. How dare they try to do better in school? Can't have that. Everyone has to stay in their preassigned role in life. I wish I could say our own world was completely different than Elms in that respect about trying to label people but I'd like to think that we're at least somewhat better than Elms about it anyway. Kevin of course is living up to his usual high standards (he said sarcastically) as always and showing his true colors at every opportunity. It truly doesn't surprise me at all that he's hitting on Cordelia or acting as if that sort of thing is perfectly okay. The only thing that would surprise me about him at this point is if he actually did something purely good and noble that didn't benefit him in any way whatsoever. I think I might actually pass out. I was so glad that Cordelia told him off and seems to see him for what he really is. It's good that there are still some good people left in Elms and that despite the leaders of Elm's best efforts that love for their fellow human beings hasn't quite been stamped out in everyone just yet. I also find it interesting now that I think of it that Cordelia didn't have a violent reaction to seeing what happened to Raina as I assume the guard did to Colleen (or am I wrong about that?). Maybe it's simply because the brainwashing didn't take as well as it should have or could it be because somehow she was never brainwashed at all? Just a few things I'm pondering about as this story continues to unfold. It certainly seems more and more like Raina's concert is being threatened by what's happening to her but I don't feel anywhere near as worried about it as I probably should because of Colleen's appearance at the end of this chapter. I have hope now that maybe everything will eventually turn out alright after all and to slightly paraphrase the words of a famous song Raina will get by with a little help from her friends.
shika-paprika chapter 2 . 11/29/2017
Interesting chapter, it's nice to learn a little more about Elms and how "incompetents" fit into society. I don't really like Francesca, I'm sure she deserved a little sympathy for being a single parent raising a disabled child, but her treatment towards Raina and Vincent and her ignorance makes me dislike her. But it makes you think that people like her act like in real life. It's going to be interesting to see how Vincent will handle things and if anything happens to Francesca, I won't feel sorry for her.
shika-paprika chapter 1 . 11/25/2017
First off, I would like to say that as someone isn't much of a people person, I'd probably feel right at home in Elms. But jokes aside, this seems like like an interesting story. This is probably the first story I've read with an autistic protagonist, it's not something you usually find on a site like this. I do like how you took the time to really explain Vincent's backstory and, also, using it as a way to educate those who aren't too familiar with autism. I don't have it myself, but I can see how Vincent's experiences with him can be relatable with someone who has it. The characters seem pretty interesting and I couldn't really find any errors as far as grammar and spelling goes. Off to a good start.
DemigodessOfEternity chapter 20 . 11/25/2017
Wow... this story is incredible. It has compelling, interesting and well-rounded chacaters, a fascinating and intriguing yet easily accessible plot, and an important and hard-hitting lesson at its core. I am really enjoying this and look forward to an update.
KoscheiTepes chapter 20 . 11/12/2017
So it's finally happened to Raina too. At least she actually got to see something for the first time before the pain started even if it was only for a brief time. I wonder if Cordelia (who I really like by the way) will continue to train Raina now after this. She might be afraid that this will happen to Raina again and it probably will. Poor Raina. She was just about to have the concert and now this has to happen. Unless she can learn to block out the readjustment somehow then I'm not sure how she's ever going to be able to perform now. I hope she'll still manage to find a way somehow though. Maybe all she'll need is the help of some new friends. Funny how she didn't experience anything like this the last time this happened though when she had the vision. I wonder if it's because Cordelia was there and that somehow made things worse for her or maybe it had something to do with Raina's emotional state since she was so upset over the way Melanie was acting towards her. I really hope that this causes Melanie to talk to her a little more as a result. Maybe she'll feel so bad after this that she'll start spending more time with her again. At least something good would come out of this that way because it really bothers me too that Melanie seems to just be giving up on Raina completely now. Hopefully this will scare her and make her realize exactly what's really important to her. I really hope that somehow Raina will be able to move past this and still be able to perform at the concert because I'd hate for her to have to stop now when she's so close to finally realizing her dream at last. I can't wait to see the next chapter in which hopefully things won't be as dire for Raina as they seem.
KoscheiTepes chapter 19 . 10/17/2017
Did Raina somehow realize that someone was in pain that was watching her and help Rodney on purpose or did that happen entirely by accident? If it was an accident, then it shows how truly unpredictable that the effects of the visions of Raina really are if one of them can hurt Rodney and the very next one can help him. The process of readjustment seems just as unpredictable especially in Rodney's case. I actually like this aspect of the story though because none of our heroes really seem to know how the onset of readjustment will affect them at any given time especially with this new wild card of the side effects of seeing Raina to deal with now. It definitely makes the story more interesting and unpredictable. I still hate it that Rodney in particular has to go through so much pain as a result however but at least Raina has found a way around that, and I hope that she'll eventually be able to use her music to soothe Rodney's pain all of the time sometime in the future. Wouldn't it be amazing if her music had that same effect on the readjustment pain of others? I think Quinten is much too hard on himself and that Colleen is right about him. He is a natural leader and I bet he'll be very helpful to Raina one day in helping her to gain a greater sense of self-confidence. I knew that I sensed a Cyclops of the X-Men vibe about him. I'm glad other people can see that Raina and Melanie are sisters too by the way because they so are even if they themselves don't seem to realize it at the moment. Leave it to the people of Elms to even ruin the act of eating somehow. Somehow I'm not too surprised about that though. They truly seem to have found a way to suck all of the fun and joy out of every part of life which of course is their goal all along I'm sure with their attitude towards emotion. I definitely wouldn't last too long in that society. After this chapter I can definitely see that Raina is going to take on a far more special role than even I realized that she would and I'm so eager to see exactly what her true power really is.
KoscheiTepes chapter 18 . 10/1/2017
I thought readjustment was a good thing after the last chapter but now I think I'm starting to change my mind about it. There really are some serious limitations on it and the side effects aren't too nice either. Hopefully Dr. Newman can find a way to make things better for readjusters one day. I really loved Quinten, Colleen, and Rodney's relationship. You can tell that they've known each another for a long time and that they think of themselves as family. I think they're exactly the kind of people that Raina needs in her life and that her future is in good hands with them. They should have her feeling much better about herself in no time. It was interesting to see that Raina's father had such deep ties to Quinten and the others (not to mention finally learning some details about his mysterious past and his readjustment) and to find out that Quinten and Colleen had been watching over Raina for so long. I wonder if having so many people appear to Raina in the vision signifies that she's going to be as special as her father is in some way. I can't wait to see Raina eventually meet Quinten again and to see him introducing her to the others. I wonder if Colleen will get to play ninja with Raina too someday. That's always assuming that eventually Raina can temporarily gain her eyesight back at times because of readjustment of course and not just having it happen in visions. I really have a feeling that Raina's future is going to be a bright one now and I'm so glad about that because she certainly deserves it. I'm more eager than ever now to see how it all unfolds for her in future chapters.
StoryGirlWrites chapter 17 . 9/16/2017
OK, this just got really interesting. Many chapters of an insulting society that I just wanted to scream at. Not to mention a vermin of dad who just doesn't get it and a mom and sibling that cowers to societies wishes. This has been actually hard to read at times, but it's well written and creative. I just wanted to know what was next and what would happen to Reina. Speaking of which...
I can't believe you had her live as a ward in Vincent's room all this time. -shudder. - So, go on. do it. Break Reina out of that hell hole.
KoscheiTepes chapter 17 . 9/9/2017
So we finally get to learn the man in the wheelchair's name and a little more about him including the fact that he has far more special powers than I thought. I also finally understand why he's so interested in Raina. Quinten is starting to come across as a Professor X type figure now in the way that he wants to recruit other disabled people who have abilities like his own. If I'm right and Raina is about to join an X-Men type team then this story is going to get even better than it already is. Just when I think your stories can't get any better you always find a way to top yourself somehow. This whole readjustment process is pretty intriguing. I wonder if anyone has any idea what causes it and an answer to the question of why doesn't every disabled person have this happen to them. I suppose Quinten is trying to figure out those answers himself and is carrying on the scientists' research. Could this be why the harsh proposals against disabled people were passed in the first place? Was it because someone high up was afraid of what people with these abilities might do? It was also great to see that affectionate moment between Raina and Vincent. I'm glad that she's still got someone in her corner that she can rely on and talk to about what she's going through. I like the fact that Vincent seems to have taken on the role of a big brother towards Raina and that the two of them are obviously close to one another. Maybe she'll take Vincent along with her if she does get invited to Quinten's group. I wonder if she did leave how this would affect Melanie and Isabella. Would they try to get her to stay or be suspicious of Quinten? There are so many questions brought up by this chapter that I'm dying to have answers for and I can't wait to see what you come up with as the story progresses.
39 | Page 1 .. Last Next »