Reviews for Competence
KoscheiTepes chapter 31 . 7/6
I can see that Cordelia is already beginning to be influenced. I hope that eventually she'll learn to love sugar too and start to eat the cakes along with the others. Come on, Cordelia. Sugar is good. Succumb to your inner temptation. You know you want to. I love the idea that the group wears 'old fashioned' clothing as a statement of rebellion. I can only imagine how bland and boring Elms is when everyone looks and acts alike. It's little wonder that Raina is so much happier now. I agree by the way that I find it hard to believe that anyone wouldn't eventually love Raina if they let their prejudices go and really took the time to get to know her. As for Colleen I'd love to see what she thinks of Jane Austen's time. I bet she'd be absolutely repulsed by the way things were then. I can already imagine her pulling out her sword and getting ready to fight to the death to stay herself. Now there's a crossover/time travel story I'd really love to see.
KoscheiTepes chapter 30 . 6/24
I was afraid that someone would find out what was going on and wreck everything for Raina and here it comes. Luckily it seems as if there's still a chance to step Dennis before it's too late. If only someone knew what he was up to that is. I really hope that Dr. Newman figures it out and goes back in time to keep him from calling anyone else especially Cordelia's mother. She sounds like she would be major trouble for everyone involved if she found out since I'm sure she'd be more than willing to publish what she had learned despite what it would do to her daughter and brother. I hope things aren't as dark as they seem right now because I really love how close Raina and Rodney are becoming. She really is setting in very well with the group. They already act as if they've known each other for years and I can tell that Raina is going to do wonders for Rodney's self-esteem. That is if they're together long enough for them to get to really know one another. I both look forward to and dread the next chapter now because I really hate to see things falling apart this quickly. I know Raina will get through it though no matter what happens but I'd much rather that it not happen at all. I wonder if Quinten could use his abilities to make Dennis forget somehow. I certainly hope that something like that happens anyway.
KoscheiTepes chapter 29 . 6/3
I have to admit that I never saw that coming. Cordelia being Dr. Newman's niece was a perfect way to bring her into the group and it also makes perfect sense since Cordelia has a similar mindset to her uncle. I'm sure since he was her favorite relative that he heavily influenced her personality while she was growing up and was a huge factor in making her into who she is now. I love how close they are to one another and how they can tell each other anything. This one conversation really helped to flesh Dr. Newman out and give me a much better understanding of who he is than I had before. The fact that he sees Quinten as his son and seems to think of Colleen and Rodney as his children as well tells me exactly how at odds with the people of Elms that he truly is even as it makes me so glad that the spirit of humanity is still alive and well in him and Cordelia. I also like how he's the father to the group and has made them all into the close knit family that they are now. Everything seems to be coming together perfectly so far and it looks as if Raina will have a great future ahead of her. My only fear is that Isabella will suddenly show up at Cordelia's house unannounced one day and spoil everything when she doesn't see Raina there. Hopefully Cordelia will already be coming up with a good explanation for her when and if that ever happens though. I'm so glad that Cordelia has such a close connection to the group now and I'm sure that she's going to prove to be an invaluable ally to them in the future plus Raina will be really happy to get to continue seeing her on a regular basis. Now that I think of it Cordelia would make a great older sister for Raina and the other members of the group. Hopefully Colleen won't be quite as hostile towards her as she is towards Melanie since Cordelia is so much like her uncle. Now if only he could get her to eat more sugar. Eating only cookies without sugar in them (while undeniably healthier than the alternative) just doesn't sound right at all to me. The people of Elms really do know how to suck the fun out of everything don't they? Maybe one day someone will change all of that with the help of a very brave woman with a sword perhaps. I can already see Raina leading a much needed revolution in Elms through the power of her music and I'd definitely be cheering her along all the way. I can't wait to see how Cordelia and the rest of the group get along next time. I hope they'll all love her just as much as I do.
KoscheiTepes chapter 28 . 5/11
Is someone trying to send Raina and Rodney a message with the whistling or is it a side effect of their shared vision earlier? I instantly thought of Raina's father for some reason but I'm sure it's probably not him. I have a feeling that the readjustment process still has a few surprises left for Raina yet. I just hope that one of them isn't losing touch with reality. I thought it was bad before but that would be the worst side effect yet. I'm so glad that Melanie doesn't have any hard feelings and that she finally gets that she needs to give Raina some room and stop trying to control her. It sounds like Colleen must have said just the right thing to get through to her. It seems that she can be quite the diplomat when she has to be even if she would probably prefer to solve some problems by jumping into battle with both swords swinging instead. Why am I not surprised that she knocked out Dr. Newman? That sounds like her. I bet she was pretty terrified afterward though because despite her tendency to want to fight she seems to be basically as gentle and kind as Raina usually. I'm glad to hear that Cordelia is going to be brought into the group. Hopefully she'll be very helpful both to Raina and the others and could even become their unofficial liaison in Elms. I'm sure Quinten has something like that in mind for her anyway. He may even have a few special missions for her to carry out if I'm reading him right. Of course all of his plans involving her and Raina could be easily upset by Isabella if she starts becoming too curious about what Raina's doing. Somehow I have a feeling that Colleen is right when she says that Isabella would be suspicious of Quinten and his group. She's going to find out sooner or later though so hopefully Quinten is already coming up with a way of convincing her that they don't mean Raina any harm. That just leaves me wondering exactly what Quinten's plans are for Raina and Cordelia. Somehow I get a mental picture of the two of them going undercover as secret agents for some reason whenever I think about it but I'm probably way off about that. I love how quickly Raina and Rodney are bonding by the way. She's already becoming a member of the family already and she's only just shown up. I have a feeling she's going to become the fourth musketeer in this group in no time. Now there's an image I'm sure that Colleen would appreciate. She'd probably love imagining herself as a musketeer or maybe I should say one of the ninja turtles. They're probably more her style anyway. I can't wait to see what Quinten's up to and I can only hope that Isabella won't cause him too much trouble in the meantime. I know she'll eventually come to realize that Quinten really does have Raina's best intentions in mind eventually. Of course that might take a while since she's going to of course be more than a bit concerned that Raina has suddenly gone to live with three strangers when she eventually does find out and I'm sure that she will before too long. I just hope for Raina's sake that it doesn't happen too soon so that she has a chance to really get to know the others first.
KoscheiTepes chapter 27 . 4/24
I really hope that Raina isn't about to turn on Melanie. I can understand being angry at her but she's just trying to protect her even if she is a bit too overzealous about it. Exactly what is readjustment doing to poor Raina? It seems like it's turning her into a completely different person because I could never see our Raina treat Melanie that way for any reason. Is she starting to get all Jekyll and Hyde on us? I certainly hope not but I can't deny that things seem to be going in that direction lately. She really is going to turn all Dark Raina if she isn't careful. Maybe Quinten can help her to overcome her darkness before it's too late. He certainly had a positive influence on Colleen and I love their playful teasing of one another. If anyone can help her now I believe it's him and he certainly seems to have his work cut out for him already if Raina is already this far gone. I just hope that Melanie doesn't take what just happened personally because I really don't think that Raina is responsible for what she's doing at the moment. I guess I'll find out next chapter in which I really hope that Raina will understand what she's becoming before it's too late.
KoscheiTepes chapter 26 . 4/2
I agree completely about the sword. It should only be used for truly worthy foes and for when Colleen has to show just how awesome she really is. I still love that she actually thought about if for a moment though because that shows me just how irritated she was. Somehow I knew Colleen wouldn't like Melanie. She's bound to be a bit jealous of her at first. I'm sure she'll warm up to her later on though once she gets to know her. I love how overprotective of Raina that Melanie was and how she insisted on checking out Quinten and Colleen for herself first instead of just letting her go with them. I also loved how Colleen seems to be practically reading Raina's mind already and she's only just met her. It makes me wonder if telepathy is another one of her abilities and she just doesn't know it yet. The two of them are getting along just as well as I hoped that they would. I bet they'll become the best of friends in no time. Maybe Colleen will even get Raina a sword of her own. I can dream, right? I loved this chapter just like always. I can't wait to see how Melanie responds to Rodney and Dr. Newman. I really think she'll learn to like and trust all of them given time and that might cause her to question the way things are in Elms even more than she already does. That would be interesting if she suddenly decided to change her career path because of what she learned from Dr. Newman. She might actually decide to join him and try to help other readjusters. It's a thought anyway.
KoscheiTepes chapter 25 . 2/27
Why do I get the feeling that Melanie has this whole secret life that no one else knows about? She certainly seems to have put a lot of thought in how to sneak out at night anyway. A little too much thought maybe. It would certainly make for an interesting chapter sometime anyway if I'm right. I really loved the banter between Melanie and Raina in this chapter by the way. Things are finally back to normal between them again and I couldn't be happier. It's also nice to see Raina getting to finally appreciate everything that Melanie has always taken for granted. She always seems to be noticing the prejudice around her far more intently lately as well which is a bad thing for Mr. Lockwood if she is causing him to become sick as a result. I can't blame her for being angry but I hope she won't go too far in her negative feelings towards competents even if it is justified. Otherwise she might just become the Magneto of this story, and I'd really rather not have that happen to her. She did have some interesting thoughts about the thin line separating her from him though. If things had gone just a bit differently for him, he could have easily been in the same boat as her. It makes me wonder if that's why his daughter at least tolerates incompetents because she's already realized that for herself and is somewhat sympathetic to them at least as a result. And now finally we have Quinten and Colleen about to take Raina into the team at last! Or at least I hope it will go as smoothly as it seems to be so far anyway since I doubt that Melanie is going to object too much to her leaving with them once she finds out who they are. Hopefully it really will be this easy for Raina to join the others next time and the team can finally be complete at last. I especially look forward to seeing how Colleen and Raina get along and if they like one another at first sight or not. I have a feeling they will. Try not to get too jealous, Melanie. She still loves you.
KoscheiTepes chapter 24 . 1/24
Colleen is quickly starting to become my favorite character in this story right now. At the moment she's right after Raina and Melanie and threatening to hit the number one spot very soon. I can't help but love her and her can do attitude. She never lets anything get her down for long and she's always ready to fight for her family no matter what the odds might be against her. Plus who wouldn't love someone who carries a ninja sword around with her just in case. I'm kind of torn right now because part of me wants her to use that sword on her rescue mission so badly so that she can finally show the world her mad skills and another part wants the whole thing to go well for Raina's sake. I kind of think this whole mission is for nothing though because I could never see the Powells doing something like that to Raina. Well, Kevin would in a heartbeat but not the others. It's a good reason to finally get Quinten to bring her into the team though so it really doesn't matter to me too much because he has no way of knowing what they'll do. I hope once they get there that Melanie will quickly realize what's happening and just tell them to take Raina with them so there won't be any problems. Then she could quietly stay in touch with them to make sure that Raina is okay but not really tell her parents the whole truth. That's how I want it to go for Raina's sake but I also love the idea of Colleen putting the fear of the Ninja Turtles in some poor hapless guards too. That image just makes me smile so much. Go get 'em, Colleen! Either way will be fine with me as long as Raina is okay at the end of it all. That whole conversation between Dr. Newman and Quinten's parents was just so horrifying by the way and really drove home exactly how evil some people truly are in Elms that they would willingly do that to their own children. Dr. Newman truly is a hero and I was so glad that he saved Quinten from what would have been a very short and painful life. Now I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be one of the team's ongoing missions in the future and they're going to be rescuing other children in the same way that Quinten was rescued. I certainly can't think of a more noble cause for them to undertake. I can't wait to see how things go next time and if Colleen gets to show everyone why you don't ever mess with her if you value your continuing existence. That would be so amazing. Even if it doesn't happen next time I hope it'll happen eventually anyway. It's just too good a scene to pass up in my opinion.
shika-paprika chapter 3 . 1/19
Well, I already found another character I'm not too fond of and that's Isabella. Good thing her daughter doesn't share her ill-mannered personality. Though, I have a feeling she might later on. Not much to say about this chapter since it basically introduced Isabella who, despite her terrible attitude, is a very contributing person to society. Here's hoping that she won't completely tear Vincent apart in the next chapter.
crankshaft7 chapter 1 . 1/15
I just finished ch1 and so far it seems to be a complete reversal of the way reality has been going up until maybe the last year. It has been the truck idiots of society that have been calling the shots and getting all the attention while the "competent" of society are left to be the servants and fit the bill for their upkeep.
It is a very practical and Nichian way of dealing with those who may seem beneath you. Just like a child would keep fireflies in a jar or tear the legs off a daddy long legs spider or even the way a housewife would poison cockroaches not out of spite but simply to eliminate a perceived neucence. Now in a world devoid of God and his principals, such a world is an inevitability. Junk science perpetuates such fallacy and crams us and our children full of rediculous lies of "survival of the fittest" and "as evolved being we rule or can destroy those beneath us at our whim".
While one can see value in such a person as Vincent only for exploitive purposes it takes wisdom that transcends the human condition to realize that such a one is actually an equal. The question is will you eat what you are force-fed like it the best thing in the world or will you go out on a limb an consider the possibility of something far greater than what you can see, touch, taste, hear and smell.
Ok ill quit ranting lol
KoscheiTepes chapter 23 . 1/7
So it seems to be confirmed now once and for all. The price for everyone going through readjustment is to temporarily trade one disability for another. It's still very good news that Raina was finally able to see what Melanie and Vincent looked like for the first time though and I'm so glad that Melanie let down her walls long enough to allow her to share it with her. Part of me understands why Melanie is telling her that she needs to stay somewhere else because this probably wouldn't go down too well with the regular people of Elms if they found out about it. The other part of me though sees it as yet another example of her slowly pushing her out of her life completely just as Raina fears. I honestly do believe that Melanie thinks she's doing the right thing for Raina and isn't trying to be selfish in any way but she still might wind up losing Melanie for good if she isn't careful in how she handles things. At the moment though I think they're still as much BFFs as they ever were judging by this last conversation and I'm glad that it was Melanie that Raina talked to instead of someone else. That felt right somehow since she's probably closer to her than anyone. That having been said however the door is firmly open for Raina to join Quinten and the others now after she stays with Cordelia for a while. In fact Melanie will probably be all for it if she ever finds out about Quinten I bet. We're one step closer to Raina joining Quinten's X-Men now and I couldn't be happier. I can't wait for Raina to finally meet Colleen at last and to have Melanie become insanely jealous as a result. That might not happen but somehow I love the idea of Melanie finally realizing just how she feels about Raina at last if she thinks that she might lose her and this causes her to rethink a few things. As it is though at least Melanie finally realizes that she hasn't been treating Raina well lately and that it's been upsetting her so I'm certainly glad about that.
KoscheiTepes chapter 22 . 12/21/2017
Yes! Quinten finally told Raina about his team at last. I love how excited she became and how she was almost fangirling over how SciFi the whole situation is. I can't wait for her to meet Colleen next because I bet those two are going to become inseparable right from the start. Raina may still be a bit bothered at first by the fact that Colleen already knows so much about her and has been spying on her for so long, but I think she'll get over it very quickly once she realizes that Colleen doesn't have a devious bone in her body. I really like the idea of Raina finally having a best friend (I'm sure that's what they'll become) especially now that Melanie is acting worse towards her than ever. Yeah, I know that she has a lot to deal with right not but that's no excuse to not even say hello. If she can still speak to Vincent every day then she can definitely spare a moment or two out of her busy schedule to talk to Raina. I'm starting to wonder if she's cutting herself off from her completely because it hurts so much not to talk to her that even speaking to her a little just makes things even worse for her. Or at least that's what I'd like to think anyway. I'm so glad that she still has Vincent around anyway because he's been so great with her. He may not always know what to say to her but he always has her back and that's what matters the most. I really loved their scenes together in this chapter and how extra sweet he's being towards her in order to make up for Melanie ignoring her. Or maybe he's just always like this. Either way I love seeing how he's basically become her father or at least the closest thing to a father that she's ever had anyway. I honestly doubt he could love her more if he was her father and his devotion to her is very touching. I really hope that he gets asked to join Quinten's group as well or at least meets with them from time to time anyway. I hope that in the next chapter that Raina finally gets to meet Colleen or at least gets to see her in a vision anyway. I can't wait to see them together because I just know that they're going to love one another right from the start. Maybe Melanie will find out that Raina has a new friend and will start to become jealous. That might actually make her wake up and realize what she's doing. I certainly hope so anyway.
KoscheiTepes chapter 21 . 12/2/2017
Based on that last line I'm starting to wonder if Cordelia is going to be the one who will finally bring Colleen and Raina together. I certainly hope so since Raina could definitely use someone with a common frame of reference to talk to about what she's going through right now. I love Cordelia more and more each chapter by the way and I'm so glad that someone understanding and sympathetic like her is Raina's teacher. I'm sure most people in Elms would have gladly gotten Raina in trouble by spreading the news about what happened to everyone that they knew if they had been in her shoes. Elms' love of Jane Austen's books is certainly becoming clearer and clearer to me over time especially after finding how they deal with someone who tries to better themselves. How dare they try to do better in school? Can't have that. Everyone has to stay in their preassigned role in life. I wish I could say our own world was completely different than Elms in that respect about trying to label people but I'd like to think that we're at least somewhat better than Elms about it anyway. Kevin of course is living up to his usual high standards (he said sarcastically) as always and showing his true colors at every opportunity. It truly doesn't surprise me at all that he's hitting on Cordelia or acting as if that sort of thing is perfectly okay. The only thing that would surprise me about him at this point is if he actually did something purely good and noble that didn't benefit him in any way whatsoever. I think I might actually pass out. I was so glad that Cordelia told him off and seems to see him for what he really is. It's good that there are still some good people left in Elms and that despite the leaders of Elm's best efforts that love for their fellow human beings hasn't quite been stamped out in everyone just yet. I also find it interesting now that I think of it that Cordelia didn't have a violent reaction to seeing what happened to Raina as I assume the guard did to Colleen (or am I wrong about that?). Maybe it's simply because the brainwashing didn't take as well as it should have or could it be because somehow she was never brainwashed at all? Just a few things I'm pondering about as this story continues to unfold. It certainly seems more and more like Raina's concert is being threatened by what's happening to her but I don't feel anywhere near as worried about it as I probably should because of Colleen's appearance at the end of this chapter. I have hope now that maybe everything will eventually turn out alright after all and to slightly paraphrase the words of a famous song Raina will get by with a little help from her friends.
shika-paprika chapter 2 . 11/29/2017
Interesting chapter, it's nice to learn a little more about Elms and how "incompetents" fit into society. I don't really like Francesca, I'm sure she deserved a little sympathy for being a single parent raising a disabled child, but her treatment towards Raina and Vincent and her ignorance makes me dislike her. But it makes you think that people like her act like in real life. It's going to be interesting to see how Vincent will handle things and if anything happens to Francesca, I won't feel sorry for her.
shika-paprika chapter 1 . 11/25/2017
First off, I would like to say that as someone isn't much of a people person, I'd probably feel right at home in Elms. But jokes aside, this seems like like an interesting story. This is probably the first story I've read with an autistic protagonist, it's not something you usually find on a site like this. I do like how you took the time to really explain Vincent's backstory and, also, using it as a way to educate those who aren't too familiar with autism. I don't have it myself, but I can see how Vincent's experiences with him can be relatable with someone who has it. The characters seem pretty interesting and I couldn't really find any errors as far as grammar and spelling goes. Off to a good start.
45 | Page 1 .. Last Next »