Reviews for The Crusaders: Volume 2
Casey Tyler chapter 18 . 12/7/2017
And that concludes another story arc. This one was so amazing! :) Easily one of my favorites so far.
I love the whole scene between Andrew and his dad. That was just sweet. And getting a happier, more optimistic Andrew again... YES! And I love that last line of Andrew's to Kon. Just such a great way to sum up everything that happened.
And we're going to get to meet Lizzy's parents. Well, that should be... interesting? Having not had the best relationship with my own father, I predict quite a bit of awkwardness and uncomfortableness. But, seriously, you got my hopes up when Kon asked about meeting Lizzy's parents. Shouldn't mess with my shippy feelings that way XD
Can't express enough how much I enjoy the interactions between Abigail and Kaleb. It's like a thunderstorm and a sunny day deciding to hang out together. Or a marshmallow and a flame. And I LOVE it! Should've known that if anyone could break through Kaleb's tough exterior, it would be Abigail. She's so perfect. :)
Casey Tyler chapter 17 . 12/7/2017
Okay, this is probably one of my favorite 'hero vs villain' confrontations ever! I absolutely loved Andrew's speech about understanding and uniting the virtues of the five disciplines. Also, ANDREW HAS AWESOME NEW POWERS! I'm really hoping the grandmasters will let him keep those new abilities, because they are so cool!
And we have the return of this season's arch-nemesis. I'm extremely curious about Darkstar and can't wait to learn more about him.
Casey Tyler chapter 16 . 12/7/2017
Oh, yes! Yes! YES! Psychic showdown! THANK YOU!

Also, that entire scene with Thomas and Andrew talking to the grandmasters was perfect. Andrew trying to be respectful and serious and then Thomas is just like "I couldn't be less impressed with you people" XD. I think one of the only other times we really get to see Thomas and Andrew interact in a non-confrontational, taking-on-the-bad-guys kinda way was when they went to talk to Alderman about the DSA's lies... at least, I think so, right? Anyway, my point is that it was awesome then and it's just as awesome now. As much as I wouldn't normally picture these two having a good dynamic together, they just play off each other so well.
Oh, and Gunk acting as counselor for Andrew was so sweet and wonderful. I like the character development Gunk's been getting throughout these stories as well.
Casey Tyler chapter 15 . 12/7/2017
Okay, first, I really need to comment on Thomas throwing that word "Friends" at Fang. I grinned so hard at that because it really is something to have Thomas use a word like that (unironically) and when referring to a character that he used to argue with all the time during the early days of the team. I just have no words for how much I enjoyed that. (In case I never mentioned this before, character development is EVERYTHING to me when enjoying a story - whether in a book or in a movie/tv show.) Also, that was an epic fight between Thomas and the bad guy. Your fight scenes are always so engaging and entertaining... and painful! Ouch! They're all going to be dealing with some nasty bruising after this.
Casey Tyler chapter 14 . 12/7/2017
Definitely enjoying this one so far. Getting a better look at Andrew's past and upbringing is something which I've been looking forward to ever since "The Redgrave Line." Also, wow, that villain introduction was awesome! I've always been intrigued by the concept of mental powers like telekinesis, pyrokinesis, etc. so a villain with multiple forms of mental powers is really cool!
Casey Tyler chapter 11 . 8/4/2017
Okay, that was a pretty epic superhero battle! But now I'm dying of curiosity regarding Darkstar. He knows WAY too much about the team. Their names... their personalities... etc. Now I really can't wait to learn more about him. Also, nice job bringing in a villain who is even scarier than the Crusaders' first year of badguys. On a side note, I liked the video game scene between Kaleb and Uni. (Like Uni, I also tend to choose the "boring" video game characters over the kill-crazy assassins.) Anyway, hopefully I'll get a chance to finish the Family Crises arc before falling asleep here. If not, I'll send that review tomorrow morning.
Casey Tyler chapter 10 . 8/4/2017
(Sorry, another short review...)

Wow! That was amazing! I was so caught up in what was happening with Kon that for a while there I really thought you were going to kill off the other two. And, wow, Andrew's offer to sacrifice himself for Aya was really touching. Not entirely surprising, given that it fits Andrew's personality so well, but definitely moving. And I almost cried when Kon said he couldn't be the one to kill Andrew. I know I've said it before, but I love Kon and Andrew's friendship; they're more like brothers than friends and I just love how close they've become since first meeting. As far as Darkstar, well I guess I should reserve judgement until I've seen more of him (which I will as soon as I read the next chapter) but he seems very interesting so far. I'm definitely curious to know more about him.
Casey Tyler chapter 9 . 8/4/2017
(Sorry, this is going to be a shorter review than usual. I'll explain in PM.)

Awesome, chapter! I love the whole conspiracy/mystery stuff going on. It's a really cool change of pace for the characters and its great seeing them go into "detective mode" for this one. I have to admit I really didn't expect it to be Glorien (assuming their guess is correct, that is) behind the whole thing. Considering how hard it was to beat him in the past, the poor Crusaders are in for some trouble if he's really out of prison. I enjoyed that sibling scene between Kon and Aya. And I couldn't help laughing at her threat to date Andrew XD. And of course that amazing cliffhanger of an ending! I'm going to jump to the next chapter now to see what happens next. Bye for now!
SnarkyScribe chapter 13 . 7/29/2017
Finally...
SnarkyScribe chapter 10 . 6/27/2017
Bloody hell; I had no idea more chapters were up...
Casey Tyler chapter 8 . 6/16/2017
Wow, so much to process from this chapter. Okay, first of all, I love how much world-building we got this time around. Not only learning about Novos and its culture and some of its customs, but also that beginning paragraph explaining alien/earthling relations. It helps expand the Crusaders' world and make it feel a bit more real and accessible. And very nice touch putting that bit of exposition into Kon's reaction to seeing his homeworld again. Kept it from feeling dry or boring. Also found it interesting how very different Kon and Aya are from each other. I really hope we get to see more of their relationship in the next chapters. This entire chapter was a very welcome look into the life of the Dui family. Obviously, I knew a bit about them from the times they've been mentioned or appeared in the story before, but this was a really nice look at what it might have been like for Kon growing up. And then that ending...! You just couldn't resist sticking in something heartbreaking, could you? I'm curious about one thing, though: was Andrew unable to "hear" the shooter beforehand since they're in the city and there'd be a lot of other people's thoughts around him? Or was he just focusing too much on Kon and the others to notice anyone else? Either way, that was a great scene and very well played out. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I think Kaleb might already be starting to grow on me. I feel bad for him now after getting to meet what his "guardians" were like. Not that I think that necessarily excuses his rudeness to others, but I can feel quite a bit more sympathy for him now. Also, really proud of the way he stood up to his aunt, even if he did take it a few steps too far.
Overall, very wonderful chapter and I love the setup for this storyarc so far. I'm really curious what's actually going on with Kai and why someone framed him. Off to part 3...
Casey Tyler chapter 7 . 6/16/2017
Ah, yay, I'm finally back! Well, this got off to an interesting start. I like the developing trust between Kaleb and Abigail. She seems to be the only person getting through to him right now. But her personality seems to be pretty well matched to the task of helping him fit in with the team. I also like that we're slowly getting more information into who Kaleb is and what his past was like. I also loved the part where Andrew stopped him with his telekinesis. XD Maybe they've finally found a way to hold him still. The scene between Andrew and Suzy was so sweet and touching. I like that she was able to help cheer him up, it was a nice reversal of Andrew's usual role on the team. And now we get to meet Kon's homeworld! That should be very interesting. Okay, I'm off to the next chapter...
SnarkyScribe chapter 8 . 4/22/2017
I managed to get five minutes of internet access, and I headed over here straight. That's how hooked you've got me.

The keyboard I'm commanding is terrible, so I am afraid I won't be able to leave an actual review. Poor Kon.

Question, though: Have you ever considered getting a TV Tropes page?

Or entering The Crusaders into ? Or ?

It'll be great to get this awesome serial out there more. From what I have seen, those sites help introduce your work to like-minded writers and readers, according to my buddy. I am actually on my way there now.

Plus, it would be selfish of us to keep The Crusaders all to ourselves.
Casey Tyler chapter 6 . 2/7/2017
Okay, that first scene in Suzy's sick room is exactly what I needed to put a grin on my face. Seriously, CUTENESS OVERLOAD! I just love Suzy and Lizzy's relationship; they really remind me of the way my sisters and I interact with each other. And Thomas has a weakness?! Well, who can blame him? And that mental image of Thomas carrying Suzy out of the hospital room will have me grinning like an idiot for a week at least.
Yay! Kon finally got a chance to talk to his best friend about his issues. Although it sounds like Andrew already managed to mostly sort out his feelings before their conversation. Y'know, I tend to agree with both Kon AND Andrew about that whole "life circumstances vs life choices" thing. I believe it's a little bit of both - that we're influenced by the way we are raised, what we are taught to believe, life events (good or bad) that happen to us, etc. but that we also are responsible for our own decisions regarding how we react to those events, what we CHOOSE to believe, how we deal with our struggles, etc. Have I mentioned that I love how you manage to make your stories exciting, humorous, AND thought-provoking at the same time? ;)
Hm, looks like Kaleb has quite a ways to go before he'll really be a team player. The good news is that this is far from a new situation for the Crusaders. I recently went back and reread the first story arc in Volume 1 and was completely stunned by just how much of a contrast there is in the way they interact with each other now as compared to back then. They've really grown and matured; and they did it together as a family. If anyone can help Kaleb learn to trust and respect others, the Crusaders are certainly the perfect choice.
(P.S. We're going to Kon's home planet next story arc? AWESOME!)
Casey Tyler chapter 5 . 2/6/2017
...and just like that you've made me completely fall in love with Abigail. Seriously, she wins a MVP medal for winning over the most reluctant team member since Thomas. Actually I think Kaleb has Thomas beat in that area, because at least Thomas didn't have to be knocked out and dragged home to get him to join the team XD. But, wow, I felt like cheering when she yelled at him. First, he WAS being a jerk. But more importantly, her line about him not being the only one who suffers is perfect. I think Kaleb has slipped into the same pit as most people nowadays of always assuming that our own suffering is somehow worse than everyone else's. I love how Abigail managed to get the point across that everyone has their own struggles and that we can never really know how hard those struggles are for people since we can't see it through their perspective. In other words, "don't judge another's journey until you've walked a mile in their shoes" or however that old quote goes. Anyway, Abigail's struggle with depression and anxiety and then the way she overcame that was something that I could really connect with, having suffered from depression and anxiety disorders most of my life. You know what, Lizzy, I still love you so much, but Abigail just won the top spot on my favorite Crusaders list. #Abigailisbestcrusader