Reviews for Fanfiction and why it matters
Guest chapter 1 . 3/24/2019
I absolutely agree with you! I once read a survey on this website called fictionpress vs and I was a bit upset at how many people said that fictionpress is much better because the comments are less judgmental and there is more originality. I can't disagree more with them on that. Everyone in my experience is amazing. Sure you have a few mean people, but they are definitely not the majority! As for originality, do we really want to be THAT original with an already great story or movie? More often then not, we want to explore different story lines and/or "improve" it. And many creative people are still able to write awesome au fics of their own, so yes, there's a ton of originality. I noticed that I am not able to find many stories that catch my interest on fictionpress (no offense to anyone who loves this site), and therefore I don't spend much time on it. With fanfiction, it's easier for me to find things I like, which really helps me to open up with my opinions on certain fandoms. I'm normally a really shy person, so it's nice to be able to talk about things in familiar territory. There are also lots of great original stories too. I think one of the best parts of fanfiction for me is that I can learn more about a certain book series etc that I am interested in, but can't sit down to read it. There is one series I fell in love with when I was younger, but couldn't read the rest of the books. When I got back into that fandom about 6 years later, I relied on fanfics to get caught up without having to read the books and go through all the potentially boring parts. Anyway, that's my personal take on fanfiction.