Reviews for Truth
Emerald Viper chapter 1 . 2/7/2017
This is very "1984"/dystopian with the way everything in the dialogue keeps getting distorted until the protagonist (well, I am not sure there is really a protagonist) isn't even sure what they are arguing anymore. Weird and dark. And I like the comparison to Washington and the cherry tree - it is interesting how so many apocryphal stories keep creeping into history because people repeatedly tell them until they can't recall where they first heard it or who told them such a story was true. I do a lot of "mythbusting" in my day job - - though not nearly as creepy as this. Bravo!
T.Rasa chapter 1 . 2/3/2017
Wow, Liz, just wow. Haunting, unnerving, a classic commentary on the nature of power and its relationship to truth ala 1984. I love how well you've tied the prompt into the story proper - there's no better distillation of this woman's concerns than the phrase "the arrow was supposed to hit the apple", and the way that you've turned that on its head is a masterstroke. On a technical level, you've done a great job of building this world and the characters almost entirely through believable dialogue, which is a hard ask so bravo. I would have found the series of truth quotes at the end a smidge on the nose if not for the previously-established History teacher note, so well done there.

Also, "sceptical spectacles" is great turn of phrase.
WyrdWolf chapter 1 . 2/1/2017
Wow, what an interesting take on the prompt! This was very cool; intriguing right from the start. The main character's mystification and determined confusion was well-expressed and prevalent. I could really empathize with the bristling frustration at ending up in, seemingly, the Twilight Zone. I wonder how she got there?
augie.toaste chapter 1 . 1/31/2017
This reads very much like a modern Alice in Wonderland story, except more chilling due to the proximity of the message to current events unfolding across parts of the world. It is very well written, Liz. I felt a creeping sense of unease building and building throughout, intensified by that cold clinical precision and detatchment that you use in contrast to the woman's story. I noticed that she did not get a name, and naming itself was a tool which you used to forward your message. Clever. The characters were complex for such a short piece.

Well done.

touseled head. Do you mean hair?

Augs