Reviews for Done Like Dinner
CheddarBrat789 chapter 18 . 10/18
So I was right about how Dijon would strike back at some point. Seeing what he did to Colby was definitely a bit of a shock for me. Not just the injury itself, but also the fact that he received it at such a young age. And as for this chapter, it felt surprisingly realistic despite the cartoony vibe you're going for. Who wouldn't feel so demoralized after a setback like that?

Overall, this was another solid chapter, and I'm looking forward to what comes next. Especially that Halloween special. In fact, speaking of which, it'd be cool to see specials on Christmas and Hanukah as well, once December rolls around. I don't think I even need to explain the possibilities.
AnaCloud4 chapter 16 . 10/10
Oooh, a Halloween special! Cool. I really want some of both of those pizzas.

And I know about Colby and Jack's names, and where they originally came from... I must say, naming them after cheese was smart. Took me a while to get it.. XP
AnaCloud4 chapter 15 . 10/10
Awh! Sage's melting a little! They're so cute.

And it's funny how cats do that, huh? XD
AnaCloud4 chapter 14 . 10/10
Great chapter! The food fight was great, and Heath is funny! I AM slightly worried for Colby's well being..

And lately, I've been dreaming about curry. No joke.
AnaCloud4 chapter 12 . 10/8
Haha! I liked the food fighting glutton battle! Just wondering.. What exactly ARE meat buns?
CheddarBrat789 chapter 16 . 10/5
The title of this chapter and the author's note at the beginning immediately told me what this was about. And I have to say it was a nice small distraction from the main plot. The whole "pineapple on pizza" debate is something I'm all too familiar with, but to be fair, I've never seen anyone get into a full-blown argument about it. As far as my personal stance goes, I'm more of an in-between; I can tolerate pineapple on pizza, but I'd never go out of my way to order it.

The cook-off was well-executed too, and Colby's dish actually sounded pretty good. Sage's pizza was cool in concept, but I probably wouldn't eat it, simply because I'm not a fan of fruit in dessert. It was also nice to see Cane get some more screen-time, and I hope Tom makes more appearances in the future. Overall, another fun read.
AnaCloud4 chapter 3 . 10/4
Probably because he's a relative of Link. (LoZ)
AnaCloud4 chapter 2 . 10/4
Pretty cute chapter!

I like Sage (She seems wise. Get it? Oh no! The bad puns are rubbing off on me!) and her dad.

The cat seems rather traitorous, but I'd probably do the same.

Colby is still dumb (and upgraded [or downgraded, however you want to look at it] to pervert.)
AnaCloud4 chapter 1 . 10/4
Overall, great job!

Colby's kinda dumb, and the cat is all wise and trying to be impressive, while Colby' rambles, and the uncle..

I predicted what he was going to do after he read that note, if that says anything.

I love the idea of food fighting in that way!

I read the name and description of this story, and BURST out laughing!
CheddarBrat789 chapter 14 . 9/21
So now we have yet another opponent here, in the form of Dijon. As far as this one goes, I can't say I'm a fan of this character archetype, but you managed to write him in a way that didn't make him come off as annoying. And given his lust for revenge and his team-up with Honey at the end, I can only assume he's gonna be yet another villain. Speaking of the team-up, it's also interesting to see some more subplots start to emerge instead of just being one singular story from beginning to end.

I also really like how Jack and Rosemary seem to have some sort of relationship going on. Could they have had an affair at some point while they were alive? Could Sage and Colby possibly be siblings as a consequence? Seeing how you tend to gear your work more towards younger audiences, I doubt it would be quite that dark, but still.

The other things I liked about the previous chapters still hold up here, and I couldn't really find any complaints in this particular one. Once again, a fun read.
josh1650 chapter 1 . 9/15
This review is For chapter 1.

I will start off with what a cool idea! I cook for a living, and i like fighting so this story had me interested from. I really liked the way the commentators talked it felt very real.

i Liked the attitude of the Colby, he just jumps to cooking when his uncle dad asks and seems to really enjoy cooking. Its also great that he his named after cheese :-)

I really like sungglepuss he reminds me of Yoruichi from bleach for some reason. I hope to find out more backstory about who he was before he was a cat, and how he got turned in to one.

Look forward to reading more when i get some time
CheddarBrat789 chapter 12 . 9/8
I really like the direction this story is going, and it's nice to see some more continuity here, compared to the more episodic feel that I get from your other work. I also really like the idea of there being other talking animals besides Mr. Snugglepuss, and it's funny how almost nobody is fazed by this. I'm hoping to see a bit more of this world's lore in future chapters, specifically regarding the whole "people being turned into animals" thing.

For the food fight scenes, they're definitely an improvement over the one in the first chapter, in that there's more emphasis on action instead of outside commentary. It would be nice to see Colby try and enter an actual tournament at some point, but seeing how this is based on anime (a medium in which the plot typically moves rather slowly), I can understand the pacing. I also enjoyed seeing how he slowly grows stronger as he fights more and more people, learning a new tactic each time.

As for the characters we've seen since the first two chapters I reviewed, they're all memorable, and I hope to see more of them. My favorite would probably be Cane, because he has the best combination of backstory and personality. It was also neat to see him being raised by a gay couple. I've hardly ever seen a story on this site that included a gay couple and didn't feature smut, so kudos on that. My second favorite would most likely be Heath, because he actually seems to pose a threat to Colby. Honey kind of annoyed me, but that was most likely intentional.

As for complaints, I really don't have any. The writing mechanics were good, and I can't find any issues concerning the plot. So overall, good work!

(P.S. I would've returned the favor in a more timely fashion, but let's just say there were some personal things I had to take care of over the past week, and only today did I have the time to come back online. I truly apologize for the wait).
God Speaking chapter 1 . 9/8
The plot is so creative, at first I was getting vibes from numerous cooking anime but you added unique twists to it to keep it interesting. I already like the characters, you have the stupid, overly-enthusiastic main character and a talking animal. Although i think the Uncle Dad wouldn't be playing a big role in future chapters, the brief interactions between him and Colby was refreshing; it's just so fun to see contrasting personalities interacting.
Also, I think opening the story up with an action sequence is a good idea. Although I think you should've emphasized on the action itself and not rely on the narrators' dialogue. I suppose this is still better than an exposition dump but still.
Overall, you've got a good thing going on here with tremendous potential and extensive room for character development. I think I'll read the next chapter.
Mr. Raleigh D chapter 1 . 9/7
This story is extremely fun to read. Colby reminds me clearly of Chowder, the animated cartoon show from Cartoon Network (until it was sadly canceled in 2010 unfortunately). He's a boy who dreams of becoming a food-fighter, to which I can assume it's a food-style of boxing somewhat lol. Not only thatr, but this Uncle Dad, he seems like a washed up champion of the sport and a straight narccisitic asshat at best who cares about nothing but eating and watching TV. Clearly the characteristics of a former superstar who had fallen on hard times.

Not only that but this story is a CLEAR reminder of the movie REEL STEELE starring Hugh Jackman and some kid and it clearly shows here.

I'm guessing that the cat, Mr. Snugglepuss (LOL - just LOL) happened to be another champion I suspect who happened to be a legendary food-fighter or something. I don't know.

I don't have anything to complain about - at least not so far though.

I'm familiar (at least in part) of shonen though. Buuuuut, not as much. LOL. I may need to update my anime watching.

Anyway, great job on this first chapter.

Dlombardi chapter 8 . 8/31
I couldn't envision the way Colby took the news of his father being murdered. He did seem heated, but then he shifted to an arrogant air which didn't make any sense to me. After years of not knowing what happened to your father, and to find out he was murdered? Shouldn't your blood boil? Shouldn't you be pent up with rage? I felt like he shouldn't have asked for a food fight, I felt like he should have just taken it. I know Colby isn't completely hot headed but, it's his father... to be exact, his father's murder; and the son of the man who did it was standing right in front of him!

Another note, a particular sentence read funny to me; now I'm paraphrasing: 'the sooner I can figure out why people didn't like him, the sooner I can figure out how he died.' I don't know, it just felt like Colby knew something he shouldn't have, like maybe you as the narrator slipped him a hint of why he may have died; because why would Colby assume/link his death to people not liking him?

Aside from some non-technical stuff, this was a good read. I liked how Colby was more open with his emotions in the very end, and how Sage helped to comfort him.