Reviews for Ember
LolBookWorm chapter 33 . 2/20
I am absolutely loving your story! The characters are so real and everything is so well paced. I am very curious as to what happens next :D
The Warrior Poet chapter 32 . 2/18
I know I have inferred this several times in my reviews, but I can’t help but mention again how Tolkienesque this feels.

Allow me to elucidate what I mean by “Tolkienesque”, because it’s not using it in the same way that a typical book reviewer would. I don’t mean “Tolkienesque” as in populated with elves and dwarves, having a Dark Lord of some kind, setting orcs and goblins at odds with the heroes, and any one of a hundred other elements that have been pilfered by lesser writers and, more often than not, cheapened by said authors in the years that have passed since ‘The Lord of the Rings’ was first published.

I’m talking about the deeper themes in Tolkien’s writings. The loneliness of eternity. The corrupting influence of greed. The ability that regular people have for rising above themselves in situations that should, by rights, tear them apart seam by seam. Not to mention the lyricism in your prose, your lovely songs, your vivid descriptions...all of it combines to produce a very favorable comparison with the work of the Professor.

Mind you: I don’t mean to suggest that you are looting his work or trying to produce some kind of pale imitation. On the contrary, your story is entirely original and uniquely “you”. I have never read a story quite like it, and I have read a lot of stories. The point is that your writing produces the same types of emotion in me as Tolkien’s, and I think perhaps that is why it has resonated with me in the way that it has.

Ember’s sorrow at leaving the Tree is palpable. Ky’s sorrow at pushing Ember to leave the tree is equally palpable. For a moment it seemed as if the tranquility of the tree nearly turned the siren from the treasure she so desperately desires, and that alone is a testament to the power of the magic.

Will Ky now feel a responsibility to make Ember feel as safe as the tree did? It’s hard to tell, but there is a lot of mountain left and something tells me that more horrors wait outside the golden light of the tree.
Ya girl chapter 33 . 2/17
Snake snake snake
Ya girl chapter 31 . 2/17
I love the description of the shadow birds in the sap so much.
HMB 27 chapter 33 . 2/17
Great chapter(s)! I really like how you don't portray everything under the mountain as harmful and evil. It's not like a quest into Mordor- it's more like a quest into another world. I was thinking more about how the stone Ember got from Hunter is the same as the ones that grow on the tree, and it makes me wonder if Hunter will appear under the mountain at some point down the road. I don't know though. Can't wait to read more!
Kingly Daughter chapter 32 . 2/17
I just read Syntaxis' review and couldn't agree more. I think he/she sneakily crept into my head.
Kingly Daughter chapter 33 . 2/17
I stopped by today not expecting anything but was pleasantly surprised by two chapters! Yay! I have to say I was a little thrown going from 32 to 33. How did they get to the place where Ember was sleeping? Am I missing something?
Kingly Daughter chapter 31 . 2/16
I'm glad I didn't read chapter 30 before you took it down. So happy you're back! I've missed my fix.
Syntaxis chapter 31 . 2/14
I do hope you realize your story does not belong on Fictionpress, sandwiched between a barely comprehensible vampire novel and a purple prose laden attempt at becoming the next Tolkien. No, this story belongs on a shelf, waiting to be purchased, or at the very least on a publisher's desk. Truly, I have never read anything approaching the quality of your prose on Fictionpress. That's not an exaggeration. I simply cannot stress enough how clear it is that you have poured your talent, skill, and love into this story. I mean, you edit the thing for god's sake. How many Fictionpress writers even bother to proofread? One in a hundred, perhaps.

Fictionpress is often a place where writers seek validation of their craft, a recognition from a sea of anonymity that they are worthy to pursue the art. I imagine that you are no different; encouragement is a writer's stamina and strength. However, I assure you that the beauty of your writing requires no such validation. You are a writer, and you have earned that title with your words alone.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but to me your sentences and paragraphs are not unlike the sirens of which you write. Beautiful, haunting, and -above all- enchanting. I do not say this lightly. You have the gift, that je ne sais quoi which separates a writer from one who merely writes. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have stumbled upon your story.

You have writers you aspire to be like, yes? I think perhaps the question of the future shall be how many writers aspire to be like you?
HMB 27 chapter 31 . 2/12
This is a fantastic story! I really love the nonstop action, adventure and magic. The world you've created is alive and alluring, so intriguing I could hardly bring myself to take a break from reading. This, to me, is what fantasy is all about. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!
The Warrior Poet chapter 31 . 2/11
A nice respite after what has been a trying journey through rock and stone.

The tree possesses a beautiful magic indeed, one that seeps into the water and threads the mountain itself. I like how complex a thing magic is in this story. The duo have encountered some very dark magic within the Sisters, and yet at the heart of the mountain there is a power that seems entirely wholesome and pure. Magic is not meant to be fully categorized and understood, it should be a wild thing which defies convention. I think you have done a good job of keeping it mysterious and fanciful.

I hope your health improves, and I’m looking forward to reading more!
The Warrior Poet chapter 30 . 2/11
I wish now that I had read the unrevised version so I could compare the two. I suppose it’s my own fault for being slow to read it when it was first posted.

I don’t know what changes were made but you seem to have ended up in a good place. The romantic tension continues to grow between Ember and Ky, and at the moment that seems like the main thing moving the plot forward. I kind of like the fact that they aren’t just falling into one another’s arms, the relationship is unfolding very naturally and realistically.

The tree is a fascinating addition, and it seems telling that even Ember can sense the magic within it. Could this be what Ky had been looking for all along?
The Warrior Poet chapter 29 . 1/23
I liked the song -it was pastoral and a little Tolkienish.

The subtext of the lyrics seems clear: “Adore me, Ember, but don’t become too attached. The ocean is calling and you cannot follow me there.” Something tells me that Ember will fail in that regard.

The dream sequence is another touching moment, and I find myself wondering if Ky’s songs are what restores Ember’s happy dreams to him.

They are circling one another, looking for ways to unite, but there remains a lot of distrust between them. That is very realistic -if Ember and Ky are actually destined to fall in love it would cheapen the journey if the path was too easily trod.
The Warrior Poet chapter 28 . 1/23
One question answered, a hundred more introduced.

I get the impression that Ky is telling the truth, but is also withholding parts of it. It must be a dire treasure indeed to have inspired so much war and bloodshed.

I am Learning a bit more about what makes Ember tick as he confides in Ky. It is spot-on, of course, that Ky would take a very different view of life and death than Ember in light of her age. Death is a common thing to see when you can grow to the age of a tree. That rhymed.

We shall see what other mysteries the Mountain holds...
ya girl chapter 27 . 1/12
Ah I'm so excited to hear the full story. They've both reached a new understanding and a new strength and it's SO satisfying. So proud of the disaster children.
59 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »