Reviews for Ember
The Warrior Poet chapter 23 . 11/9
Just reading this chapter makes me hungry and thirsty.

It is becoming clear that Ky is slowly being placed under a spell, and this combined with Ember’s spell of jealousy is causing the two to bicker.

The part with the swinging door was so well described that I am forced to assume that the seemingly innocuous event may hold more significance than it would appear. It sets a wonderful mood, as I am now imagining the banging door as the unending heartbeat of the mountain, beating on and on within the long-dead carcass of the Sisters. A very Mines of Moria-esque feel to the atmosphere you are creating.

The dark passageways wind on, and with the duo I am forced to wonder: will we ever feel the sunlight again?
The Warrior Poet chapter 22 . 11/8
It seems a male siren has entered the stage, and things just got a lot more complicated. I am guessing this is the pursuer that has shadowed them up the mountain.

I love how Ky’s song is described as a web, such a wonderful and evocative analogy.

The shadow creatures were quite terrifying, but the way in which Ky draws Ember to her then repels them shows the adaptability of her power.

A great, long chapter and I am excited to have another one waiting!
The Warrior Poet chapter 21 . 10/16
Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and considering the circumstances surrounding their parting it is a miracle that it has done so. At least they are united again, if only in their desire to escape.

Ky is still remaining mum about her original intentions in bringing Ember there, but her silence all but confirms his suspicions that -at least- there is 'something' bigger going on.

All-in-all a solid chapter, and it's good to get the duo back together again. Their interaction is what makes this story great.
The Warrior Poet chapter 20 . 10/7
I liked the beginning of this chapter, where we have Ky wrestling with her guilt and slowly withering away within the darkness of the mountain. I really like her POV and hope we get more of it.

The attendant in the oracle's sanctuary leaves the story with a somewhat melancholy note. Even if she is merely a construct of the mountain's magic she feels forelorn, almost like an artificial intelligence that has gained conciousness only to be stuck in an empty room, waiting to help people that may never come.

I am excited to be out of the sanctuary and into the mountain again, to see what other wonders (or terrors) await our duo.
Kingly Daughter chapter 19 . 10/1
OK . . I admit it . . I'm hooked. No pressure but . . .
The Warrior Poet chapter 19 . 9/30
The conversation was fascinating, especially the way in which Silveli taunts and plays with Ky. The red-haired Siren is a level of sadistic that cannot be attributed simply to the predatory nature of the race. I am trying to remember if Benjamin was one of the people said to be missing early in the story -I scanned a couple of the early chapters very quickly but couldn't find the name.

It seems that the vision of the past was enough for Ember to forgive Ky, but is she ready to forgive him?

A bit of a cliffhanger at the end, we will see what happens now that Ember has defied the spell-worked woman, defiled the Oracle's bones, and toppled the well.
Norah chapter 17 . 9/29
Hi again! I thought I was going to be caught up and then happily noticed you added another chapter this week so I hope to get to that soon. I read quite a few chapters today and marveled at the scope of your imagination (to quote AnnE Shirley). I am awed by your ability to paint such marvelous pictures of things unseen, except in your mind. The last time I thought that about a story was reading CS Lewis' Space Trilogy. But I have to say I'm happy that your descriptions are not so flowery that I want to skip over them to the next dialog. Well done . . I want to see where this is going because I have my own thoughts now. . .
Norah chapter 11 . 9/29
Reading this chapter reminded me of the alluring power of sin and temptation and how we must keep our eyes on Jesus to overcome.
EventualHorizon chapter 18 . 9/28
I am really enjoying this story and I am looking forward to the next installment. Thanks for continuing to post.
LustisBliss chapter 3 . 9/28
I am only a few chapters into this story and it's amazing, it should be a book. So far such a different story then anything I've read and has been keeping me on edge. Just now when I read he found fish outside his door it gave me chills of excitement! Now going to continue reading :) You sure do have a gift.
The Warrior Poet chapter 18 . 9/27
And a new player enters the stage.

These atrium chapters are starting to remind me of the movie Labyrinth, after Sarah falls into the dump and into what she thinks is her bedroom at home. There is just enough comfort and safety there for her to be tempted to stay and forget about her quest to free Toby, but she has cause to question what powers want her to while away her time there. I feel the same thing is being done to Ember.

Such a tantalizing break in the chapter, as it seems we have now traveled backwards in time. I think many of the questions I have about what Ky intends for Ember may be answered by his witnessing of the conversation between Ky and this Red maned woman.

The story experienced a bit of a lull within the atrium, but now you definitely have me hooked again. I have missed Ky for sure.

Can't wait for the next chapter!
Norah chapter 2 . 9/21
What happened to the second net that was supposed to catch fish? Did he change his mind?
Derekv chapter 1 . 9/20
Wow, you write very well! I love fantasy stories.
The Warrior Poet chapter 17 . 9/20
Just a few nuggets of exposition here as we learn the purpose of the room's disembodied attendant and the supposed genesis of the river folk. The text that Ember chooses does seem to have a biased bent, of course.

Ember seems hesitant to leave this little sanctuary in the mountain and I can't say I blame him. A very creepy moment to see a head and shoulders searching down from the hole in the roof. Whether it was Ky or the creature who chased them to the portal in the mountain makes little difference at this juncture.
The Warrior Poet chapter 16 . 9/16
The magic of the mountain continues to deepen.

The setting here is described very well. I can see the moss, hear the tinkling water, and smell the dusty old pages of the books. Sounds like a nice little dwelling, but just as dangerous as the rest of the mountain is as evidenced by the poisoned water.

The woman in white is clearly an enigma -disembodied but still somehow present. I can't help but shake the feeling that this entity is somehow behind everything, working the strings from the shadows above the stage.
37 | Page 1 .. Last Next »