Reviews for In the Woods: An Illusion of the Future
Marina x Machina chapter 10 . 5/29
This was a nice ending. Geez...did the fire really happen? That sounds scary!
Regardless, this was a sweet denouement. Good work. I liked the way that Ani accepted what Audrey said after she told her the secret.
I'm sad this collection is over! But the ending makes up for it. Hope you have a good school summer!
-Marina.
Marina x Machina chapter 9 . 5/22
I love the quotes:
"I don't know what's going on in your mind right now, but the one thing I want you to know is that he's not a god, so stop treating him like one!"
"That's a wild violet," a girl behind me said. "It's just a weed. Don't pay attention to it."
"Oh, they need me. But if I want to get myself together, I need to take a break. If I take a break, I want to take a break, and focus on getting myself together. I don't want to care for other people's problems, I just want to focus on myself for once."
"It will fall, Ani, it will fall. If you don't stick to what you say, everything will come crashing down. Nothing will be of use, and you will have to star over again. If this is what you told yourself to do a month ago, this is what you will do. Go out there, and make us proud."
"It's my decision if I want to move on, or if I want to stay where I am. For once, I will finally be free." All the way up until "And this is the reflection of reality that I will live by."

I also like the part where Ani, who was in denial, confronts the truth and stops hiding behind academic goals in order to admit other ones she might have had.

I feel like this is narcissistic of me but this kinda reminds me of the scene with the myriad of Romaines from Blue Rhapsody and maybe that's why it resonates with me. But also the language is just so...beautifully constructed. You have a talent for words. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. But I feel like you played it to your advantage with this piece, and I'm so amazed by how well everything ties in.

Keep up the good work.

-Marina.
Marina x Machina chapter 8 . 5/22
Well, you certainly have not lost the ability to write soliloquys.

This one is a little more confusing to me - I wouldn't have understood it save for the explanation at the top, but that doesn't mean it's bad or needs to be heavily modified. Just didn't resonate with me personally.
Marina x Machina chapter 7 . 5/22
Whoa. This story has a completely different style from what I associate with your works.

Like don't get me wrong. The beginning, the hook feels like something you'd write. But there's a method to the madness (pardon the expression). Not too many things are going on at once; it's a simple attention grabber of "Where is my brother? Take me to him or I will hurt you."

As the story continued, despite the fact it was short, I found myself becoming more fascinated. Some of the names go over my head, but for the most part, the plot works. The second to last paragraph, surprisingly, sounds pretty realistic; I was surprised by this. I can't put into words how, but your writing has gotten a lot better, and it shows even in this short story.

My main complaint is that I don't know when Matthew was pre-established, he only seems to show up in the last paragraph. Is he one of the unnamed nephews from the car crash?
Marina x Machina chapter 6 . 4/12
Aw, thanks for the mention!
Marina x Machina chapter 5 . 4/11
When I read the first part of this piece I wasn't sure if I liked it. But it kind of grew on me in the end.
Each section genuinely feels different. I don't know how, but even though they are all written in your signature style, they don't feel like they were written in the same time. Especially the passages about more recent events. Even though the first section feels so young and in love, the more recent ones definitely have a sentiment of falling out of it and growing older which I relate to much more. At the beginning, things are simple and less grey: Johann is in the fault and has to say sorry. By the end, things are more ambiguous and the speaker doesn't know if there really was a lesson or which character in the story they were in the end.
I love the lines "I thought I'd seen visions from the past, because that was truly a very surprising thing to learn," "I knew that succumbing to those thoughts would be dangerous. What was our history shall not be spoken of, for they were golden ages that we have missed for such a long time," "Alas, the bouts of nostalgia were short, bu when the childish innocence dissipated, it felt as if we were cold again."
There is a sense of acceptance...maybe not satisfaction, but it makes sense.
If I could pick a favorite out of this collection, I would probably select this chapter.
WafflesandUnicorn chapter 4 . 12/31/2017
At least they understood the dream, because I sure didn't.
WafflesandUnicorn chapter 3 . 12/31/2017
I've read part of this before haven't I? The part below the dividing line, right? It seems familiar? I think you sent it to me once.
WafflesandUnicorn chapter 1 . 12/31/2017
Who are "they?" Parents? That's the only logical explanation I can think of.
Marina x Machina chapter 4 . 12/17/2017
So...the cake was a lie?
(sorry sorry just had to do it)

So what did the cake really represent, regarding the dream?
Marina x Machina chapter 3 . 10/8/2017
Ugh Chinese school...

Any meaning behind the names Lily and Anna?
hello chapter 2 . 10/5/2017
nice man dude-o yep nice
-annie
Marina x Machina chapter 2 . 9/19/2017
What does the "Do not forget - it defines the latter" mean?
Marina x Machina chapter 1 . 9/14/2017
Ugh did ur asian mom make u play the violin 2? Ughhh it is late byeeee.